Wiki Posts
Search

New to flying with baby

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, WorldPerks
New to flying with baby

OK - here goes... I'm brand new to FlyerTalk, (1st post) but very impressed so far. Looks like a huge amount of usefule tips and experiences here.. will try to help along where I can.

Here's my question... I used to do a lot of flying, but due to change in job, location etc., haven't done much for the past 5 years. Now, with another change, I am back to doing some travel and in the meantime have started a family. My wife and I, along with our 4 month old, have a return flight on Northwest next week. Wondering if anyone has any tips to keep little Kate quiet, relieve ear pressure, etc. I just have bad memories of sitting in planes beside screaming babies, and don't want to be the cause this time!

Thanks alot!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:55 pm

Best way to relieve ear pressure for an infant is to keep her swallowing - a bottle or pacifier usually works fine. For a 4 month old, there is no drug in the US (yes, I noticed you are Canadian but the drug laws are pretty similar) approved as a decongestant without close monitoring by a physician.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:21 pm

Swallowing is indeed the key to helping little ears adjust to changes in pressue. It is particularly important on landing rather than take-off. Nursing or giving a bottle works great. When I flew with my son at 6-months all he needed aside from boobies was "big spoon" and "cow" - his two favorite toys, and his blankies. It is really quite easy to fly with infants. Aside from that I'd encourage you to get the infant their own seat and use the infant carrier on board so she has a secure and familiar place to sleep.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Welcome to FT, counter5g!

As noted above, the first line of defense is swallowing, especially on the descent. Another thing to consider is getting a couple of rattles/toys that little Kate has never seen or felt before. You could save these for a situation in which feeding, burping and praying have all failed.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:52 pm

Not to dredge up an emotional topic, but just my experience:

If you can afford it, get the baby a seat. Ours have done much better, short and long haul, when they've had their own seat. Now, that doesn't mean we always do it, sometimes because of the cost, sometimes because of seating configuration (and when we don't, we use a Baby B'Air). A seat with a familiar carseat is especially helpful for sleep.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I agree with jonu about the baby seat, but not because safety requires it. The extra seat is often at a 50% discount (for kids under two). It's awfully cramped to have the little one on your lap the whole time. If you can afford it, you'll find it's money well spent.

Last edited by dhuey; Mar 23, 2005 at 2:34 pm
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:32 pm

Hi! I just flown with my 7 month infant child. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! Here's what I learnt... (hope this will help counter5g)

Sucking during take off/landing... helps to get a soother. My baby just sucks on the soother and we had no problems. Better if you can breastfeed her or just give her a bottle.

Ready-to-drink-formula.... get the cans instead. These are great, no need to bother with the hassle of mixing the powder. Babies don't even mind drinking them at room temperature.

Diapers... bring lots. Thank goodness I listened to everyone's advice and brought heaps. I just wish the washroom was bigger!!!!

Extra seat... yes, yes, yes! Don't be stingy and buy the seat for your infant child. You will regret if you don't buy one. Holding an infant even if it is only two hour plane ride is really tiring.

Kindness of strangers.... it is amazing how many ppl are willing to help you. I can't believe how kind and wonderful ppl can be! I had so many ppl dropping by and playing with baby. Just ignore the ones that don't understand.

Above all RELAX AND HAVE FUN!
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, WorldPerks
Thanks, everyone for all the helpful tips so far. Really appreciated. I see that I likely made one mistake already... not buying another seat. It's too late now as the flights are booked solid already. However, the longest leg is approx 1 1/2 hours, so shouldn't be too bad between the two of us. My biggest concern has been the ear problems... too much "scarring" from my own experiences when I was young, and then also listening to others when I was in that "old enough to know better but too young to understand" stage. Hopefully everything will go well....

Again, thanks for all the help! ^

counter5g
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat Amb, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat., Diamond Club,
Thumbs up Flight UK to NZ with Baby on lap..

Hi
As everyone says just relax and have fun on the flight...

I have just completed a return UK to New Zealand holiday (about 30 hours flight time each way) with my 3 boys (11,9, and 1.5) and believe me we had far more trouble with the older two than baby...

My partner is not a good flyer, so baby ended up on my lap for most of the flight and he just slept, woke up, ate, played with the seat-TV control, slept again...

The older boys kept having problems with the games on their seat-TVs and of course as they got tired, the more noxious they became ...

However once they too fell asleep they woke as little angels
...well for about 5 mins anyway...

As mentioned by other posters as long as baby has something to either eat or drink during takeoff and landing then you should be fine...
We tried lollipops at first but quickly went back to his bottle...

Also premixed formula is only way to go...

And remember pack a change of clothes for baby in you carry-on in case of little accidents...

@:-) Hmm thinking about my shirt also pack a change for yourself as well...
(mushy banana and milk slowly fermenting on my top for 20 hours... )

Ok starting to waffle now so I'll go away...

Good luck ^ :-:

PS Both Cabin crew and other passengers were excellent on all flights...
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:38 pm

Programs: NZ *S
Originally Posted by SirWomble
Hi
I have just completed a return UK to New Zealand holiday (about 30 hours flight time each way) with my 3 boys (11,9, and 1.5) and believe me we had far more trouble with the older two than baby...

PS Both Cabin crew and other passengers were excellent on all flights...
For interest, SirW, who were you flying with?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:02 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat Amb, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat., Diamond Club,
Originally Posted by NSN-Dave
For interest, SirW, who were you flying with?
We flew Emirates
So it was MAN-DXB 10 hr stopover in DXB
Then DXB-CHC with a refuel stop at MEL for about 2 hrs

Return was a bit of a mess and wouldnt recommend it
AKL-SIN with refuel stop in BRI for about 2 hrs
SIN-DXB
DXB-LHR

Wish we had done something clever like use Singapore Air for return
So it would be just AKL-SIN then SIN-LHR with out the intermediate set downs...

The getting off and on the planes was the biggest hassle esp as the older boys got more and more tired...

Hope this helps...
Old May 16, 2005, 12:34 pm
cp5

SirW Did you have a seat for your toddler?

I am planning a trip san francisco to london in July with my husband! We regret we waited until the last minute but the prices for seats or ridicoulous at this point. We are planning to take our 13 month old son and I wanted a seat for him but am not willing to pay $1000 for one. So I'm thinking of not going now or taking my chances and traveling with him on my and dh's lap! Sometimes there are empty seats but July is a peak time to travel so there may not be.

Anyhow just wondering if you had a seat or how you managed.

Thanks,

CP

QUOTE=SirWomble]Hi
As everyone says just relax and have fun on the flight...

My partner is not a good flyer, so baby ended up on my lap for most of the flight and he just slept, woke up, ate, played with the seat-TV control, slept again...

The older boys kept having problems with the games on their seat-TVs and of course as they got tired, the more noxious they became ...

However once they too fell asleep they woke as little angels
...well for about 5 mins anyway...

As mentioned by other posters as long as baby has something to either eat or drink during takeoff and landing then you should be fine...
We tried lollipops at first but quickly went back to his bottle...

Also premixed formula is only way to go...

And remember pack a change of clothes for baby in you carry-on in case of little accidents...

@:-) Hmm thinking about my shirt also pack a change for yourself as well...
(mushy banana and milk slowly fermenting on my top for 20 hours... )

Ok starting to waffle now so I'll go away...

Good luck ^ :-:

PS Both Cabin crew and other passengers were excellent on all flights...[/QUOTE]
Old May 16, 2005, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by cp5
I am planning a trip san francisco to london in July with my husband! We regret we waited until the last minute but the prices for seats or ridicoulous at this point. We are planning to take our 13 month old son and I wanted a seat for him but am not willing to pay $1000 for one. So I'm thinking of not going now or taking my chances and traveling with him on my and dh's lap! Sometimes there are empty seats but July is a peak time to travel so there may not be.
Do you think your 13 month old son will be comfortable on a lap for a 9 hour flight? Is that really fair to him?
Old May 16, 2005, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Do you think your 13 month old son will be comfortable on a lap for a 9 hour flight? Is that really fair to him?
Nine? Could be 11-12+ - that's a very long time to sit in a 17-18 inch coach seat with a 13 month old on one's lap, IMO.

Frequent Flyer miles are ideal for this dilemna; award seats allow parents to conserve cash yet makes everyone more comfortable.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:08 pm

I can't imagine a 12 hour flight with an infant on my lap
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.