Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Children/Infant Passports [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children/Infant Passports [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by ansatzjp
Would this work? Or is this option applicable only to those get-passport-quickly companies?
I'd try calling one of the agencies and see what they tell you. With the government, the only SURE way is to have everyone there.... The only thing worse than a 200mi roadtrip would be TWO 200mi roadtrips....

Richard
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:37 pm

FYI - they are processing expedited passports in about one week right now. We applied for one for our son on 8/18 and it arrived yesterday (8/26). YMMV.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:50 pm

update:

1. 8/26: Got a birth certificate. Still no SSN, so typed 000-00-0000. Went to the local court clerk with my spouse and the newborn baby to have all docs certified and put in a sealed envelope.

2. 8/27: Went to a passport agency at 8:30am (woke up at 5:30am to drive down there). Expected to receive the passport on the same-day, but apparently was not possible.

3. 8/28: Went again to pick the passport at around 1pm. Found a typo in the bio page. Wrong gender! Waited two more hours to pick up the corrected one.

So, I've confirmed what has been described in this thread:

1. You can "hand-carry" applications to a passport agency.
2. You can get one for your baby without SSN.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, and confirming that nothing has changed in the last 40-50 years.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Thank you, and confirming that nothing has changed in the last 40-50 years.
Thank YOU for your consistency.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
A helpful thread, especially the part about entering all zeros in for the social security number field on the passport application for a newborn.

For anyone doing this under a tight timeframe, here is some guidance: Tell the hospital staff you need the birth certificate ASAP. Ours was able to expedite the processing and handoff of a critical form to the county vital records department and tell us to just go to the office for a copy several days later instead of waiting for one to be mailed. That probably shaved a week off the process.

Bottom line, if you are near one of the passport agencies, you can have a passport within a couple days of getting the birth certificate. In on one day to apply and then back the next to pick it up. We had bought our tickets months ago, figured we'd see if it worked out with the passport for the new one, and I'm happy to say it can be done very fast if necessary.

Incidentally, the little guy's SSN card showed up the day we went in to pick up the passport, so those seem to be arriving pretty quickly (much faster than with our daughter).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
On another tangent, my 3-month old just got his passport. It's valid for 5 years. Will it matter when, say, 4.5 years from now we want to go somewhere and he looks nothing like his passport photo anymore? Or do immigration counters generally not care about that?

I'm just trying to get a sense for whether the passport actually will be valid for 5 years, or if we have to change it once he looks significantly different from the baby photo in his current travel document.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: United Plus
Mine had newborn pictures in their passports and we flew through numerous passport controls without a hitch.

My older daughter was especially amusing. She has a ton of curly black hair and her eyes changed color (blue to green) at 18 months. Needless to say, she looked nothing like the newborn photo. Still, no problems.

If you're concerned, bring another form of ID with you. My children and I have a second nationality and national identity cards, which I have shown them. If you live in the U.S. (which doesn't have nationality ID cards), you can ask your local DMV for an ID card. It looks similar to a license.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
We've traveled a lot with the tiny infant pictures and almost 5-year-olds, too, and no problems on our end, either. We also had the appearance questions wrong after a while because my son's eyes were listed as blue and his hair blond because that was true at 6 weeks old. By the time he was 5, his eyes had turned dark brown, and his hair had gotten significantly darker (although still somewhat of a dirty blond). Oh, and the height of 2 feet didn't last long, either.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold
The infant photo didn't pose any problems for our son either, but the short validity period of the passport almost did when we realized that although it's technically valid for five years, in actuality it's quite a bit shorter because so many countries require X weeks or months of validity for entrance.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Just a hint for those in my situation - I'm a single mom by choice and my daughter does not have a father listed on her birth certificate. I was able to apply for her passport solo (obviously no father needed at application) but I have an extra copy of her BC that I keep with her passport so when we travel to countries (like Canada) that require non-traveling parent permission for the child to enter, I can prove that I am the sole custodial parent.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by Redhead
Just a hint for those in my situation - I'm a single mom by choice and my daughter does not have a father listed on her birth certificate. I was able to apply for her passport solo (obviously no father needed at application) but I have an extra copy of her BC that I keep with her passport so when we travel to countries (like Canada) that require non-traveling parent permission for the child to enter, I can prove that I am the sole custodial parent.
Good advice for when the other parent is deceased, but obviously take some sort of document to that effect...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Redhead
I have the same thing and have found having my daughter's BC with me useful on occasion, never had problem with the infant photo though, although we got a couple of comments towards the end of its validity about the reasoning of keeping the same photo

Last edited by fredandgingermad; Oct 15, 2013 at 11:12 am
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Good to know... thanks for the advice, all! Out of an abundance of caution I will bring the munchkin's birth certificate along, but glad to know I won't have to spring for a new passport prematurely.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:58 pm

It may be useful to note the following, which is towards the bottom of the State Department's web page describing their passport photo requirements:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...oreq_5333.html

"If the appearance of your child under the age of 16 has changed due to the normal aging process, you do not need to apply for a new passport for him or her."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.