Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Children/Infant Passports [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Children/Infant Passports [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2004, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by SptCA
The passport office where I applied for my son's passport suggested that we get a certain sort of stamp pad and put his finger prints on the signature line of his passport, both as additional ID for him (if we ever had to prove it really was him once he no longer looked like the infant photo) and to prevent its fradulent use. We did that, and most of the customs officials who've noticed it commented that they thought it was a good idea. (he was about 9 months when we got the passport and not yet able to sign it himself )

Do you happen to remember that name of the stamp or where you were able to get it? That is a really great idea.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Emmasmum
Do you happen to remember that name of the stamp or where you were able to get it? That is a really great idea.

Sorry, I don't remember the brand and I threw it out the last time we moved. The psot office passport desk told me what type to buy, maybe you could call one in your area? I know I bought it at a chain type stationery store, try asking for an indelible ink pad, one that shouldn't smear if it got wet.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
What do you do if you need to obtain a passport for your child and he hasn't yet received his SSN?

Is that a requirement for minors?

We applied for it at the hospital when the baby was born 2 months ago and have not yet received it...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dctorres
What do you do if you need to obtain a passport for your child and he hasn't yet received his SSN?

Is that a requirement for minors?

We applied for it at the hospital when the baby was born 2 months ago and have not yet received it...
I would imagine it would be a requirement, as it's the US Government's only way of verifying identity without the use of a birth certificate.

We received Baby Swede's SSN within three weeks of leaving the hospital. Perhaps a visit to your local Social Security office is in order?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the actual birth certificate is definately required and a SSN card is not, the above post is non-sensical. Try calling the SSA, but it probably won't help. Just fill out on the PP form 000-00-0000, and if one day the IRS contacts you and asks you for it, supply it.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 6:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
Originally Posted by hfly
As the actual birth certificate is definately required and a SSN card is not, the above post is non-sensical. Try calling the SSA, but it probably won't help. Just fill out on the PP form 000-00-0000, and if one day the IRS contacts you and asks you for it, supply it.
The passport form does indeed ask for the number and not the card. However, while awaiting the arrival of the actual SSN, I may as well try the 000-00-0000 approach. The worst that can happen is they refuse the application until I can provide it.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You absolutely can do it that way. As I believe it states on the back of the form, the IRS "may" contact you to give the number, if you refuse, I believe it is a $500 fine.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 1:57 pm

How do babies sign their passports?

We're travelling internationally with our 5-month old in January. Her passport came a while ago, but how does she sign it? What will the airport/security do with her if it is not signed?
Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:13 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

When my son was an infant, I simply signed his name in my handwriting and put in parenthesis (signed by parent)

Never been questioned about it after many trips.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I also just signed my child's name and put signed by parent in parenthesis--never questioned in all our travels through Europe and Central America.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:40 pm

For my son's first passport, I bought an ink pad and put his finger prints on the signature line - since infant photos outdate so quickly, I wanted something that would be positive proof the passport was his if need be. A Canadian immigration officer once mentioned that she thought fingerprints were a good idea for babies, so I'm guessing it was a legal solution.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum; former CO Gold; HHonors Gold
US passports

For U.S. passports, the State Department gives the following answer at http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...1741.html#ca63

My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Never thought about it

Just checked our 21 month olds. We never signed it and she made it safe and sound to England and back with no questions asked.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 8:05 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Ditto with our kids aged 4 and 1. We never signed their passports and they've been overseas many times. (the one year old has been overseas once).
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurobonus Silver
Brazil, UK & Norway

My 3 year old son has 3 passport with three different standards>

Brazil: He was required to put his tumbprint instead of a siganture.
Uk: Instead of a signature it is printed "The holder is not required to sign"
Norway: Instead of a signature it is printed "Not able to sign"

In our case it is not the signature etc that is the problem, the problem is which passport to use when

Jupeter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.