Conrad Bangkok vs. Le Meridien

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bangkok vs. Le Meridien

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Good to hear that there's a Tops in the all seasons place. This will save me a lot of mango-carrying.
Thank you.

Are the "anchor department stores" mentioned on the all seasons place webpage only wishfull thinking? - Or is there really anything like a Robinsons in there?

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Jun 26, 2009 at 12:25 pm
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard
Good to hear that there's a Tops in the all seasons place. This will save me a lot of mango-carrying.
Thank you.

Are the "anchor department stores" mentioned on the all seasons place webpage only wishfull thinking? - Or is there really anything like a Robinsons in there?
I don't recall anything Robinson-esque, but I do recall several western clothing shops, complete with Western prices.

There is a good pharmacy, a nice bed-and-bath styled shop, and the aforementioned Tops. The laundry shop uses some membership scheme and I don't recall it being any great saving compared to the hotel's service. (but I could be wrong - I checked two years ago, not this last trip). My overall impression was that it was a nice, if small by Western standards, modern mall.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Thank you for the update, FatManInNYC!

Since I didn't even expect a Tops, I'm already more than happy to hear your comments.
As long as the washer/dryer in the Conrad Residences is in good condition, that should do the trick for most of the laundry. ...unless of course they offer miles in the laundry's membership scheme.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:13 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by dtsm
Considering these two hotels for possible 4 wk stay. Curious if anyone has recently stayed at either location and how was the experience in terms of room size, swimming pool, restaurants, location (BTS not close?) and overall service.
Is there a reason why you have settled on those two (whether it is LM or RM you mean) in particular ?. There an awful lot of quality Hotels in Bangkok and if, as your program listings state, you have no particular affiliation to any programmes, then it opens up a lot of possibilities.

For a start, if I was doing a 4 week stay I would definitely move around and enjoy different locations.

As for which is the better Hotel. Personally, I prefer the Conrad as a Hotel to both the RM Plaza Athenee (which is right near the Conrad) and the new LM, even though as SPG Plat I get a Suite at both RMPA and LM and only Exec Lounge access as HH Diamond at the Conrad. The new LM is a nice Hotel, and I got a great suite, but the location is poor imho and I would not do even a week there never mind four.

I suppose it also depends what rate you can negotiate with each property, and due to the low occupancy levels in Bangkok at the moment, I would contact a few Hotels and shop around. During recent stays at the Conrad, SGS (my favourite in Bangkok as SPG Plat) all of them were (just) under 50% occupancy.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer

For a start, if I was doing a 4 week stay I would definitely move around and enjoy different locations.
If I was alone, might consider jumping around but i don't think the mrs. wants to pack/repack every week.

And I have been in contact with other hotels as well as service apts.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:12 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
If I was alone, might consider jumping around but i don't think the mrs. wants to pack/repack every week.

And I have been in contact with other hotels as well as service apts.
Depending upon the properties you are staying at, you could have the butler service pack/unpack.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Depending upon the properties you are staying at, you could have the butler service pack/unpack.
LOL - although we've lived in Asia as expats for many years experience and had maids/drivers, etc. the use of butler service at hotel is still a little 'colonial' for us

And probably best rates will be for a minimum 1 month stay.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:30 am

LOL - although we've lived in Asia as expats for many years experience and had maids/drivers, etc. the use of butler service at hotel is still a little 'colonial' for us

And probably best rates will be for a minimum 1 month stay.
I've never used these butler services either, but if that is the sticking point...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:49 pm

And if you're in the mood for a good burger, The Garage on the 1st floor is the place.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Oh we have jumped around to get the benefit of stay credits/bonuses etc numerous times. She doesn't particularly like it, but she enjoys the benefits.

I would definitely recommend staying in at least 2 different locations, even if it is as simple as River & Sukhumvit or whatever. Bangkok is a vast and fascinating city, and while you can explore it from wherever you stay, you'll get much more out of the place over 4 weeks if you check out different locations.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention I'm working during my stay and will probably take side trips to other countries in the area (also business).....so we need one place to park ourselves. And staying near the river is not viable, as much as I would consider it if on pleasure.

Our plan is to probably book Conrad for 2-3 days, using their 2 for 1 special and we have a list of service apts and hotels with executive rooms/floors to check out as a permanent home.

My office is way out in Bangkapi so the commute will be a hassle....the Mrs. will decide where we park long term

Many thanks for everyone's input and we'll let you know how things go at the end of july.

Last edited by dtsm; Jun 30, 2009 at 8:29 pm
Old Jun 30, 2009, 9:48 pm

Many thanks for everyone's input and we'll let you know how things go at the end of july.
You may want to keep an eye on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...er-thread.html as there are lots of FTers that pass through BKK. It can be fun to get together so long as your wife doesn't mind all the travel geek speak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.