Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Place to Propose?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Best Place to Propose?

A friend of mine who has never been to Asia will find himself with his girlfriend in BKK over the holidays. He plans to propose.

He asked for suggestions about where he might do it. Specifically, he wondered about a romantic restaurant. My only thought was (1) it should be on the river, and then (2) perhaps at the Oriental.

So my suggestion was Sala Rim Naan, since you arrive at the Oriental and then have to cross the river, thought that might be somewhat romantic. Though other than one specific dessert, I'm not a huge fan of the food...

But I'm hoping that someone here might be able to do better than that suggestion, whether for a restaurant or other special, meaningful, or memorable spot?

Thanks for any thoughts...
Gary
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:35 am

It may sound a bit pedestrian but how about Scirocco or Breeze. The views are amazing and the atmosphere is rather dream-like. I think Breeze is quieter and more romantic. Good luck.
dan
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by dano18
It may sound a bit pedestrian but how about Scirocco or Breeze. The views are amazing and the atmosphere is rather dream-like. I think Breeze is quieter and more romantic. Good luck.
dan
I have colleagues at work that were on vacation in Thailand when he proposed at one of The Dome restaurants at State Tower. Don't recall if it was Sirocco or one of the others. I found this video expose/ad on Sirocco.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:03 pm

... riding an elephant in Ayutthaya.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by dano18
dan
Scirocco is fine for cocktails, the food in the restaurant is awful and overpriced.

The view is breathtaking and the place is a must.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Patpong? Take in the ping pong show, and have one of the ladies pop out the ring box?

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Dec 22, 2008 at 11:47 am
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Patpong? Take in the ping pong show, and have once of the ladies pop out the ring box?

Oh that actually did make me laugh out loud!!! Not sure I'll ever be able to hear the term "ring box" without chuckling.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Patpong? Take in the ping pong show, and have once of the ladies pop out the ring box?
And have another one use a crayon in that special place to spell out "will you marry me" on a sign to hold up. It would be a great routine!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:55 am

What If

What if she says NO? That is going to be one long return flight.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by glob99
What if she says NO? That is going to be one long return flight.
Ah, if she says no, you just cancel the return ticket!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:02 am

The red sky

There is a new place that recently opened on top of the Centara grand . I would say that is the best or sirocco is good too .
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by gleff
A friend of mine who has never been to Asia will find himself with his girlfriend in BKK over the holidays. He plans to propose.

So how'd it go? Did she say yes? Where did he propose in the end?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Jackieholmes
There is a new place that recently opened on top of the Centara grand . I would say that is the best or sirocco is good too .
This is in the hotel attached to the Central World shopping center. I think that they're calling it "55" for the floor number. I was there for a drink last night with a friend. I haven't been to its competitors, but I was unimpressed. Drinks priced OK, but no place really to look around. There is a bar, but otherwise the entire area is dining tables. No place to go up to the fence, for example, and have a look at any view other than the one you have when sitting at the bar. And the bar area is rather small, as well. The view, of course, is spectacular in that direction.

I'll be trying Sirocco next week.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:19 pm
Suspended

On a longtail boat in a cove in Koh Phi Phi Le. Much more romantic than Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.