Wiki Posts
Search

Phi Phi - how many hours?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Phi Phi - how many hours?

Will be staying in Krabi, and thinking about doing a day trip to Phi Phi. The earliest ferry arrives at 11am. The last ship leaves at 3pm. Is that too many hours assuming I won't be doing snorkeling or fishing? Is there enough to do on land?

And are there public showers in the beaches for me to wash off if I were to swim? I don't plan on joining tours.

Thx.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by adamak
Will be staying in Krabi, and thinking about doing a day trip to Phi Phi. The earliest ferry arrives at 11am. The last ship leaves at 3pm. Is that too many hours assuming I won't be doing snorkeling or fishing? Is there enough to do on land?

And are there public showers in the beaches for me to wash off if I were to swim? I don't plan on joining tours.

Thx.
Yes that is engough time but uou'll want more. The boat will take you to all the islands in the Phi. It is absoultly amazing. Last year my wife and I went from Krabi and feel in love with the place. We are going back in March and staying onm Koh Phi Phi at the Zeavola.^
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:33 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
I would say you can spend one hour walking around the main village, one hour by hiking up and down to the viewpoint and another one for having lunch. Add another one for sunbathing and swimming and the 4 hours are over. You could also think about taking a longtail boat out of Ton Sai Bay to Phi Phi Le (Maya Beach "The Beach") if it gets too boring on the main island.

Regarding public showers. Not sure if there are any available but i would ask at any of the local dive shops or hotels if you could use their facilities (pool area) just for a quick shower.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:53 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
I know you said no tours... but

you may want to consider doing the +-900BHT (they quote 1000BHT, but will drop their price quickly) tour there.

I've just returned from Krabi (Sheraton there is a nice resort) and did a 1/2 day trip there.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:01 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Having been to Phi Phi a few times, I'd say it's enough.

You'll either love it or not. I never thought to much of Phi Phi. Never liked what they did to it. But, it is super lovely.

My advice. While on the boat, make sure you check the location of the life jackets and exits if sitting indoors. Thai boats are notorious for overloading passengers and cargo & improper operating permits (or ones provided with false info). Better safe than sorry.

Enjoy, & don't forget a hat. Sun is out eery day lately.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Thanks all. How bumpy is the ride from Krabi to Phi PHi?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:37 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by adamak
Thanks all. How bumpy is the ride from Krabi to Phi PHi?
Sorry to dredge up this old thread bit I stumbled on this question and it reminded me of a funny thing that happened on a boat trip to Phi Phi. Actually it was the return trip and the hilarity ensued pretty much at the very end of it.

We were on a reasonable sized, well powered speedboat crammed with about 20 pax. The young Thai driver was a real cowboy and gunned that sucker for all it was worth, slamming into the chop with bone-jarring smacks. It wasn't pleasant and it probably wasn't the safest way to proceed but we just held tight for the duration.

When the boat slowed for the approach to Ao Nang, a middle aged British woman emerged from the head, which was a small cubicle that you had to crouch to enter. She was in fits of laughter and we heard her explaining to her daughter and son-in-law that she had gone to the loo as we were leaving Phi Phi. By the time she was done the boat was going full tilt and every time she tried to get up she would be unceremoniously slammed back onto her seat. Eventually she realised that she had no option: she was trapped until the boat slowed down. She was a good sport and her giggling at her own expense had us all laughing with her.

And to answer the question: it can be very rough even when there is only a mild chop on the water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.