FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Best Place to Propose? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/901031-best-place-propose.html)

gleff Dec 19, 2008 6:17 am

Best Place to Propose?

A friend of mine who has never been to Asia will find himself with his girlfriend in BKK over the holidays. He plans to propose.

He asked for suggestions about where he might do it. Specifically, he wondered about a romantic restaurant. My only thought was (1) it should be on the river, and then (2) perhaps at the Oriental.

So my suggestion was Sala Rim Naan, since you arrive at the Oriental and then have to cross the river, thought that might be somewhat romantic. Though other than one specific dessert, I'm not a huge fan of the food...

But I'm hoping that someone here might be able to do better than that suggestion, whether for a restaurant or other special, meaningful, or memorable spot?

Thanks for any thoughts...
Gary

dano18 Dec 19, 2008 6:35 am

It may sound a bit pedestrian but how about Scirocco or Breeze. The views are amazing and the atmosphere is rather dream-like. I think Breeze is quieter and more romantic. Good luck.
dan

yosithezet Dec 19, 2008 8:07 am

Originally Posted by dano18 (Post 10933657)
It may sound a bit pedestrian but how about Scirocco or Breeze. The views are amazing and the atmosphere is rather dream-like. I think Breeze is quieter and more romantic. Good luck.
dan

I have colleagues at work that were on vacation in Thailand when he proposed at one of The Dome restaurants at State Tower. Don't recall if it was Sirocco or one of the others. I found this video expose/ad on Sirocco.

glob99 Dec 19, 2008 6:03 pm

... riding an elephant in Ayutthaya. :cool:

carpetbagger Dec 20, 2008 1:47 am

Originally Posted by dano18 (Post 10933657)
dan

Scirocco is fine for cocktails, the food in the restaurant is awful and overpriced.

The view is breathtaking and the place is a must.

Jaimito Cartero Dec 20, 2008 2:05 am

Patpong? Take in the ping pong show, and have one of the ladies pop out the ring box? :)

Cheetah_SA Dec 21, 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 10938209)
Patpong? Take in the ping pong show, and have once of the ladies pop out the ring box? :)

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh that actually did make me laugh out loud!!! :D:D:D Not sure I'll ever be able to hear the term "ring box" without chuckling.

JTPictureman Dec 21, 2008 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 10938209)
Patpong? Take in the ping pong show, and have once of the ladies pop out the ring box? :)

And have another one use a crayon in that special place to spell out "will you marry me" on a sign to hold up. It would be a great routine!

glob99 Dec 22, 2008 10:55 am

What If

What if she says NO? That is going to be one long return flight. :o

Jaimito Cartero Dec 22, 2008 11:46 am

Originally Posted by glob99 (Post 10948402)
What if she says NO? That is going to be one long return flight. :o

Ah, if she says no, you just cancel the return ticket! :D

Jackieholmes Jan 16, 2009 8:02 am

The red sky

There is a new place that recently opened on top of the Centara grand . I would say that is the best or sirocco is good too .

yosithezet Jan 16, 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 10933620)
A friend of mine who has never been to Asia will find himself with his girlfriend in BKK over the holidays. He plans to propose.

So how'd it go? Did she say yes? Where did he propose in the end?

Dr. HFH Jan 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jackieholmes (Post 11087732)
There is a new place that recently opened on top of the Centara grand . I would say that is the best or sirocco is good too .

This is in the hotel attached to the Central World shopping center. I think that they're calling it "55" for the floor number. I was there for a drink last night with a friend. I haven't been to its competitors, but I was unimpressed. Drinks priced OK, but no place really to look around. There is a bar, but otherwise the entire area is dining tables. No place to go up to the fence, for example, and have a look at any view other than the one you have when sitting at the bar. And the bar area is rather small, as well. The view, of course, is spectacular in that direction.

I'll be trying Sirocco next week.

D1andonlyDman Jan 16, 2009 4:19 pm

On a longtail boat in a cove in Koh Phi Phi Le. Much more romantic than Bangkok.