Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok dress code

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Bangkok dress code

What is appropriate to wear when walking around Bangkok and Ayutthaya? I am a man in my 20s. Are shorts and polo/t-shirt OK or would long pants be better? thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
What is appropriate to wear when walking around Bangkok and Ayutthaya? I am a man in my 20s. Are shorts and polo/t-shirt OK or would long pants be better? thanks for the advice.
Shorts / t-shirt are ok but do label you as a tourist. Thais don't really wear shorts, so long pants/jeans / polo would be better especially if you're going to "fancier" places.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:30 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Ha, I can already predict the responses here. My guess is the consensus will be shorts and polo shirt.

Tourists wear all sorts of outfits and, if you want a laugh, stroll down Khao San road. (I wear long pants and a polo shirt.)

You can't wear flip flops or shorts into the major sites. Check the dress code before you go.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
well I guess its also how you look,

but this time I wore button down cotton shirts,
first they covered my beer belly better than "form fitting" T shirts ,
and they also breath better than T-shirts or Polos,

Its hot and humid there so where something thats easy to wash and confortable....

but I also wore shorts.....

Do not worry about looking like a tourist , you ARE a tourist and probably are never going to look Thai

Oh and I did have one flowery Hawaiian shirt just because.....

Rally
Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:01 pm

Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil, Rayong, Thailand, USA, Florida, NY and California
Programs: American Platinum Lifetime, Starwood Gold, United, Krisflyer, Delta, Lufthansa, Thai, Int. Avenger
If you are in any type of a business situation...or are meeting with elderly people......do not wear shorts. A light colored button down and dark slacks (not jeans) are proper if you want to fit in at any level. If you are just a tourist hanging in tourist areas, do what you want......but some temples and other government offices frown on the shorts and singlet look.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:32 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Shorts and polo/t-shirt are OK to walk around to help you cope with the heat. There are however lots of must-see temples in Bangkok and the historic park in Ayutthaya consists of ruins of palaces and temples.

Thai Buddhist temples (Wats) are open to everyone. There are, however, several rules that you must observe. Modest clothing is required, which means for ladies: a skirt or dress that covers the knees and a top with sleeves that covers the shoulders and is not transparent. For men, modest clothing means long pants and a shirt that covers the shoulders. Shorts will not do!

This "dress code" is also applies to the Grand Palace, Vimanmek Mansion and other royal sites in Thailand.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/faq/faq-detail-14.html
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rally
Oh and I did have one flowery Hawaiian shirt just because.....

Rally

Well that is the dress code, for Songkhran.

I also got a kick out of the Thais dont wear shorts comment. The last 15 people (all Thai, moderately wealthy upper middle class; only BMWs, M-Bs and Minis) who just walked by my house in the last 3 minutes were all wearing shorts! And it's the cool, dry season! Maybe they meant to say, Thais dont wear shorts, to work?

Some historical sites are quite strict; at Bang Pa In even women modestly dressed in long pants are required to wear a wrap, which are on loan.

Last edited by transpac; Dec 12, 2008 at 3:52 am
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:48 am

Shorts in Bangkok

I am always amused by people who dress in beachwear in Bangkok. Sure, it's hot, but it's a national capital and almost everything is air conditioned.

I've had friends who should know better show up at a hotel dressed for the beach. Spaso's at the Hyatt refused him entry.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by sarming
I am always amused by people who dress in beachwear in Bangkok. Sure, it's hot, but it's a national capital and almost everything is air conditioned.

I've had friends who should know better show up at a hotel dressed for the beach. Spaso's at the Hyatt refused him entry.
That's not uncommon for high end nightclubs.

Unfortunately, Sukhumvit Road isn't air conditioned. I always wear shorts, unless I'm headed out for a nice dinner or nightclub.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:54 am

And I am amused by people wearing suits and are sweating to death on Sukhumvit.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by transpac
...at Bang Pa In even women modestly dressed in long pants are required to wear a wrap, which are on loan.
Even at Hopf Restaurant in Pattaya they have T-Shirts at the entrance they borrow to ladies revealing too much.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Try Washington, DC, in the summer. The streets, parks, river/riverboats, tuktuks, SkyTrain platforms, and so on in Bangkok are not air conditioned. It's bloody hot for at least 10 months a year in Bangkok. People in shorts and sandals are being reasonable, given the climate. That is subject, of course, to wearing more modest attire in culturally significant places and private venues that have a dress code, such as nightclubs and certain restaurants.

Shorts may label me a tourist, but the white face hangs "farang" around my neck far more effectively.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
And I am amused by people wearing suits and are sweating to death on Sukhumvit.
Suits also label people wearing them as not "locals" since Thais don't generally wear suits except for very high level or very formal occasions.

My uncle, the President of an Insurance Company, rarely wears a suit to work.

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Shorts may label me a tourist, but the white face hangs "farang" around my neck far more effectively.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by transpac
I also got a kick out of the Thais dont wear shorts comment. The last 15 people (all Thai, moderately wealthy upper middle class; only BMWs, M-Bs and Minis) who just walked by my house in the last 3 minutes were all wearing shorts! And it's the cool, dry season! Maybe they meant to say, Thais dont wear shorts, to work?
Maybe they were out walking for "exercise" around the neighborhood?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:32 pm

You see just about anything on the streets of Bangkok. Late at night, just pull up a seat at one of the cheap little sidewalk bars, probably just down from the Miami on Sukhumvit and just watch the circus go by!

You will be okay with a t-shirt and shorts. There are some tourists who wear suits - they look out of place! Short sleeve shirt or polo shirt and long pants are okay too.

If you want to wear suits or expensive shirts and pants you will end up paying more when you purchase something from the street vendors. They have a knack of being able to size up a person's worth by what they see and the price they ask for could be twice as much as the guy in the t-shirt and ratty shorts. I do see some businessmen walking around in suits - sure must be hot!

A t-shirt or a short sleeve shirt will be okay in Ayuthaya, if you are worried about what to put on then wear long pants. But ditch the suit! There is nothing you can wear or not wear that will make you look less like a Farang!

Enjoy your trip and don't worry about the small stuff!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.