Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok dress code

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:19 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
It's my experience that you will not be allowed to visit certain temples if you're wearing shorts or sandals. I'm assuming that's what you're doing in Ayutthaya. If you are going to tour the ruins, you'll get a poor reception wearing shorts.

Same guidelines for the Grand Palace

Code:
http://www.palaces.thai.net/day/index_gp.htm
Helpful Information

Proper Dress in The Grand Palace for Visitors

Visitors are requested to be dressed properly and appropriately upon entering
the ground of the Bhubing Palace. Thus the following dress - code (applicable 
to both ladies and gentlemen) will be strictly enforced:

1. Shorts, mini-skirts, short skirts, tight fitting trousers, as well as tights can 
not be worn as outer garments.
2. See-through shirts and blouses, as well as culotters or quarter length 
trousers can not be worn.
3. Sleeveless shirts or vests can not be worn as outer garments.
4. Sandles (without ankle or heel straps) can not be worn.
5. All shirt sleeves, whether long or short, can not be rolled up.
6. Sweat shirts and sweat pants, wind-cheaters, pajamas and fisherman 
trousers can not be worn.
Many 4 Star Hotels along the river in Bangkok have dress codes in the evening. The Shangri-La Hotel used to refuse access of all it's public areas to those wearing shorts (even to house guests). The Royal Orchid Sheraton has a 5pm dress code specifically mentioning shorts for it's lounge.

I wear long pants, socks and shoes every night in Thailand. The reason is misquito bites. Not an issue in many places, but it sucks when they're nibbling at your ankles.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:26 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I wear long pants, socks and shoes every night in Thailand. The reason is misquito bites. Not an issue in many places, but it sucks when they're nibbling at your ankles.

I do the same. And in fact, when I have business meetings I, and my Thai business partners, are typically in a jacket and tie and most often cufflinks. The prospects we meet with are also typically in a jacket and tie. Of course as soon as I return to the hotel I'm back in a polo or short sleeved button-down shirt and dockers.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spent two hours today seated in a shop at Fortune Town waiting for my desktop PC to get repaired (labor=100 baht; new graphics card=2,400 baht) and watched at least 500 Thai people walk by. I’d say 50% of the men wore shorts, while 75% of the women did, and 100% of the children. The few foreigners I saw all wore long pants. Go figure.

I too wear long pants, socks and shoes or sneakers almost all the time. Once you’ve been splashed with hot cooking oil you learn. The ankle bites are more likely from ticks and fleas, while the mosquitos work the upper torso and head. I usually only wear shorts around the house, or to Lumpini to run or play hoops.

I commute on the BTS every day and never see anyone with a jacket/suit jacket. I guess those that do drive, or take a taxi. It’s rare to see someone on the TV news wearing a jacket. It does suck to have to wear a suit jacket here, even in the coolish weather. We have a Royal visit this week at work and I have had to wear a suit for “practice” once. It seemed like everyone was staring at me on the BTS to/from work that day. Not looking forward to it this week.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat., EVA Diamond, *wood Gold, blah,blah,blah
I almost always wear shorts and a button down of light cotton. More important, be clean, neat, and polite. The rest will work itself out.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.