Wiki Posts
Search

Ongoing Thailand Meet a Flyertalker Thread [PRE-2015 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 8:57 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Arriving in BKK tomorrow, June 5 and will be around until the wee hours of June 8. Booked in the PA for the nights of 5th and 6th and considering moving for the 7th
Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I'll be in Bangkok on July 11th/12th, possibly a couple of days prior to that and possibly the 13th as well.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by nkedel
I'll be in Bangkok on July 11th/12th, possibly a couple of days prior to that and possibly the 13th as well.
My wife and I will be at the Novotel Siam Square nights of July 11/12. We leave very early on the 13th for Chiang Mai.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Never even saw this thread. In HKT until June 18.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by hiyo
My wife and I will be at the Novotel Siam Square nights of July 11/12. We leave very early on the 13th for Chiang Mai.
We will be at Siam City Hotel on July9/10/11 and would be nice to have someone to chat to.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolangatta
We will be at Siam City Hotel on July9/10/11 and would be nice to have someone to chat to.
I'm not sure where I'm staying yet, but as noted above will be around Bangkok the on the 11th as well. Do you and hiyo want to try for dinner somewhere around the Siam Square area on the 11th?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:08 pm

I'm not sure where I'm staying yet, but as noted above will be around Bangkok the on the 11th as well. Do you and hiyo want to try for dinner somewhere around the Siam Square area on the 11th?
Mrs hiyo and I would definitely be up for it. I'm not sure when we will get into Bangkok on the 11th. We are tentatively coming overland from Siem Reap, but we could end up flying. Even overland we should be in by 7:00pm.

It might be best if someone who is more familiar with the available choices picks the restaurant, and we would appreciate someplace in the Siam Square area as mentioned. (NB - We will not have dressy clothes for high end places, coming from 10 days in Cambodia on our way to Mae Hong Son province for a week of trekking and rafting, but we promise we will be clean )
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might be best if someone who is more familiar with the available choices picks the restaurant, and we would appreciate someplace in the Siam Square area as mentioned. (NB - We will not have dressy clothes for high end places, coming from 10 days in Cambodia on our way to Mae Hong Son province for a week of trekking and rafting, but we promise we will be clean )
While I've been to Thailand several times, I'm pretty much a beaches and beer kind of tourist, so I'm not sure I'm the best to recommend one - I'd love a recommendation for something a bit more local than my usual places in the area.

If you don't make it in for the 11th, I'd be up for lunch or dinner two nights, on the 11th with coolangatta and then again on the 12th with you and MrsHiyo.

Last edited by nkedel; Jun 19, 2009 at 12:02 pm
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:12 am

While I've been to Thailand several times, I'm pretty much a beaches and beer kind of tourist, so I'm not sure I'm the best to recommend one - I'd love a recommendation for something a bit more local than my usual places in the area.

If you don't make it in for the 11th, I'd be up for lunch or dinner on the 11th with coolangatta two nights and then again on the 12th with you and MrsHiyo.
We are beach people also and will be casual, I thought mabe happyhour drink at one of the hotel bars, or saw a restaurant recommended on the forum here called Som Tan Paradise, Siam Square Soi 4, I thought it should be somewhere near our hotel and looked it up on the net but I'm still not sure? Are either of you on Skype? if so our Skype address is narelle17^
Old Jun 19, 2009, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolangatta
We are beach people also and will be casual, I thought mabe happyhour drink at one of the hotel bars, or saw a restaurant recommended on the forum here called Som Tan Paradise, Siam Square Soi 4, I thought it should be somewhere near our hotel and looked it up on the net but I'm still not sure? Are either of you on Skype? if so our Skype address is narelle17^
Googling it looks like the Siam City Hotel is on Sri Ayuthaya, by the Phaya Thai BTS station, so it would be two stops back to Siam Square or a doable but longish hike (I've done the walk from Siam Square to Panthip, which is about 60% of the distance.)

Don't know the restaurant but Siam Square Soi 4 should be easy enough. The capsule on wikitravel worries me a bit about the spice level but I'd be game to try
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:22 am

Googling it looks like the Siam City Hotel is on Sri Ayuthaya, by the Phaya Thai BTS station, so it would be two stops back to Siam Square or a doable but longish hike (I've done the walk from Siam Square to Panthip, which is about 60% of the distance.)

Don't know the restaurant but Siam Square Soi 4 should be easy enough. The capsule on wikitravel worries me a bit about the spice level but I'd be game to try
As Som Tam is certainly one of my favorite dishes, I vote yes on Som Tam Paradise, just on the basis on the name. How about eightish on 11 July?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Som Tam is certainly one of my favorite dishes, I vote yes on Som Tam Paradise, just on the basis on the name. How about eightish on 11 July?
Works for me.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:48 pm

Works for me.
That suits us fine, 8pm at Som Tan Paradise, do we need table booking's? Our names are Frank and Narelle, Frank said to ask you both why don't you download "Skype" as we talk to people all over the world for free?@:-)
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
June 23, Conrad BKK
June 25, Conrad BKK
June 26, Plaza Athenee BKK
June 27, Plaza Athenee BKK
June 28, Conrad BKK
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:37 am

I see you are online at present, how do you feel about our arrangements? I'm afraid I had to look up Som Tam as we have never tried it. Life is an adventure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.