Wiki Posts
Search

Ongoing Thailand Meet a Flyertalker Thread [PRE-2015 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Hello,
I will be in BKK from 24-27 Nov.
Staying at the Four Points Sukhumvit Soi 15.
So, if anyone want to drink up at the Beer Vault during Platinum Happy Hour.
Give a Shout out yah.
Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sure thing, I will be there from November 24th till 28th.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:51 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
I'm at SGS for a week, in 1Nov - out 8 Nov, then Sheraton Pattaya in 13Nov - out 20Nov.

Look forward to meeting whoever is there.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
The TV here is giving us the impression the Bangkok is about to go under flood waters. But then you guys are carrying on as if all is normal. How far is the trouble from you, say from Sukhumvit?

Anyway, remain dry and have a great time!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
The TV here is giving us the impression the Bangkok is about to go under flood waters. But then you guys are carrying on as if all is normal. How far is the trouble from you, say from Sukhumvit?

Excellent question to those "on the ground" who are not media.... Please let us know what it is really like in and around Bangkok at the moment!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by aktchi

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Excellent question to those "on the ground" who are not media.... Please let us know what it is really like in and around Bangkok at the moment!
Bangkok is empty.

And flying above the flood all I can say is 'Holy f$^%(%^ %&*$' The mass of water north of the city is immense.

it will go under. The question is how deep and for how long.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:34 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Bangkok is empty.

And flying above the flood all I can say is 'Holy f$^%(%^ %&*$' The mass of water north of the city is immense.

it will go under. The question is how deep and for how long.
Suggest that people follow the twitter hashtag #ThaiFloodEng for the real scoop. A friend was contacted by the GM of a Sukhumvit hotel and told not to come this week.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
So far, Sukhumvit 18 and 23 are dry. But as dsquared pointed out, when you fly due north out of BKK it's looks apocalyptic.

And the government is not helping inspire any confidence.

Let me put it this way: I am glad we aren't home right now and that our car is parked on a high floor. If we were home now I would be making preparations to leave right about now. There are just too many "he said, she said" and ridiculously conflicting statements coming from the government. Not worth the headache right now if one has a choice..
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm up in Chiang Mai and will be here through Monday Oct 31.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
A friend was contacted by the GM of a Sukhumvit hotel and told not to come this week.
Which hotel? As of last night, my info was that WGS and 4P were considering closing completely, as their infrastructure (water, electricity, etc.) plants are in the basements of the hotels. Guests would be accommodated at SGS to the extent possible, as SGS' infrastructure is on the third floor. Most or all hotels have experienced mass cancellations.

Currently 8 a.m. here, I'm at SGS on the back side of the hotel. Asok from Suk intersection up to QSCC is dry; traffic is a bit lighter in both directions. Sunny, only a few small clouds.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 25, 2011 at 7:12 pm
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Which hotel? As of last night, my info was that WGS and 4P were considering closing completely, as their infrastructure (water, electricity, etc.) plants are in the basements of the hotels. Guests would be accommodated at SGS to the extent possible, as SGS' infrastructure is on the third floor. Most or all hotels have experienced mass cancellations.

Currently 8 a.m. here, I'm at SGS on the back side of the hotel. Asok from Suk intersection up to QSCC is dry; traffic is a bit lighter in both directions. Sunny, only a few small clouds.
There is not a lot of confidence in any of the messages I am hearing. Please keep posting updates Dr. HFH of anything interesting you may learn- really appreciated.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Still dry here at Suk 22...but noticing private houses bricking up and cementing driveway...

#thaifloodEng warns to brace for water tonight for 50 districts.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:09 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I was going to CM on the 8th, but may slide it one day and meet up with the crew.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
What a weekend!! Luck runs in 'threes', right? Good or bad.

First, flooding continues to worry me along with millions of others (we are booked lower Sukh for 9 days 6-15 Nov - cancellable). Do we cancel, and go elsewhere? do we take a 'punt'? Part period in Pattaya/Phuket/...?
- holding tight for the moment

Next, QANTAS spasms and, you guessed it, I'm flying on a QANTAS biz award ticket.
Resolved - but I did buy an SQ econ tix, now cancelled - give up biz?! not on your life

Last, broke a tooth clean in two (well, jagged...).
Fixed. Well, needs some minor reshaping.

All going well, still in BKK 6-15 Nov......

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 1, 2011 at 1:02 am
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We thought about flying into BKK on the 9th and directly up to CNX however PG doesn't have alot of availablity for us. Also, by the time we fly in on Tuesday night all the domestic flights will have departed.

So, whether we like it or not we'll be in Bangkok on Tuesday Nov 8.

See you all there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.