Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:17 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Coffee Beans by Dao on Soi Ruamdree behind the hotel will do the trick.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Also a selction in All Seasons Place

http://www.allseasonsplace.net/en/sh...ctory/dinning/
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:47 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by whimsey21
...We speak no thai, so somewhere we'd be able to figure out the menu and/or communicate in English would be useful, as would a place where the kids wouldn't be out of place. If no such restaurant exists near the Conrad, but you have a great suggestion elsewhere in the city, I'm happy to hear it as well....
Please see my post #739, earlier in this thread about Mark Wiens Bangkok series, complete with map and how to order for the Thai impaired.

From the Conrad, I'd take taxis to the closer spots, especially with kids. Generally kids aren't out of place in Asia.
--
Rich
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Take "the real" train and go to Soei Restaurant (ร้านเส่ย) which is located next to Samsen SRT Station. We had a great dinner there last April, a bit spicy but you can tell them to take it easy for the kids. The fun part is the train runs right by the restaurant tables - don't worry there are safety fence between the tables and the train.

Our photos of the place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57664612377243

Train passing through

Platwo Choo Chee

Great experience and good meal - highly recommended.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Soei Restaurant is Mark Wiens' favorite. I think you have to call ahead for the crispy fish-heads.

Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Mark Wiens. His videos are interesting; but I can't stand HIM. It's just way too contrived for me when he tastes something, then he closes his eyes, smiles, head drops a little and tilts, and he says, mmmmmm, as if he's never tasted anything like it before. Would be OK once in a while, but he does it with everything he tastes. Other than that, they're very good.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Mark Wiens. His videos are interesting; but I can't stand HIM. It's just way too contrived for me when he tastes something, then he closes his eyes, smiles, head drops a little and tilts, and he says, mmmmmm, as if he's never tasted anything like it before. Would be OK once in a while, but he does it with everything he tastes. Other than that, they're very good.
The first video of his I saw was the P' Soei one about 2 years ago and it was interesting.... but with the second episode I began to feel exactly the same as you.

The food in his videos is akin to female K-Pop vids*: Full of eye candy but please keep it on mute.

*Not that I'd ever willingly subject myself to K-Pop.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by transpac
Thanks for posting the location map. The best way to get there is to take the MRT to the last station then take the SRT train down to Samsen SRT Station. The restaurant is located across the rail track. Or, you can take the BTS to Phayathai station and then a taxi to the restaurant.

I guess we lucked out because we did not call The Crispy fish-heads were crispy and delicious snack!

There is another Chinese/Thai place that we missed on the last visit because it closed when we visited twice. Located right on Sukhumvit between the Philippines Embassy and Thong Lo BTS Station: Saeng Chai Pochana https://www.eatingthaifood.com/saeng...umvit-bangkok/
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Thanks for posting the location map. The best way to get there is to take the MRT to the last station then take the SRT train down to Samsen SRT Station. The restaurant is located across the rail track. Or, you can take the BTS to Phayathai station and then a taxi to the restaurant.
Skip the Phayathai station and head to Victory Monument. There are several bus routes that will take you close to the station (12, 14) and then a short walk. Or you can take the 44 from Mo Chit with a similarly short walk.

Most convenient would be a taxi from Victory Monument and I've rarely encountered problems flagging one down here. Several years ago I gave up trying to get a cab at PT BTS and completely amended my Bangkok movement to avoid this need entirely; cabs were simply not willing to use the meter and anticipating a big payday from SARL pax. I had one guy demand I go to the airport when I wanted to head to Ahdere Blues Bar.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this video Pai, from Hot Thai Kitchen, and Mark go to my favorite BBQ chicken place...Bang Na Trat 23 (behind Central Bang Na)

Her YouTube channel is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PailinsKitchen

For a different take on Soei...this guy's a hoot:

Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still on a Beef Noodle kick...most food courts have a beef noodle stand. And there are some higher end beef noodle places

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/nuer-koo.htm#promo

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-...khao-san-road/

http://aroimakmak.com/rod-dee-dej/
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
In this video Pai, from Hot Thai Kitchen ... Her YouTube channel is very good.
Completely agree!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:03 pm

In this video Pai, from Hot Thai Kitchen, and Mark go to my favorite BBQ chicken place...Bang Na Trat 23 (behind Central Bang Na)
For the people who won't venture out of the known areas, there is another Sabai Gai Yang which late changed the name to Sabai Jai Kebtavan. This Issan-styled restaurant is located at Ekkamai (Sukhumvit Soi 63) just across the street from Healthland. We have had many memorable dinners at this establishment and it's highly recommended.

More photos of this place & their dishes can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57625761382060

Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
I... my favorite BBQ chicken place...Bang Na Trat 23 (behind Central Bang Na)

I can second this .. it's a very nice place with some live music, always great atmosphere and decent food. Just keep in mind that this is a place mainly for locals, especially issan people.

imho even it's a really nice place, if you don't stay in Bangna it's not worth the trip

A very similar place for locals with good food and music with is just 200m away: Location

Last edited by olisch; Aug 7, 2016 at 3:12 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A review of Sabai Jai Gai Yang

Sabai Jai Gai Yang – Famous Grilled Chicken Isan Restaurant at Ekkamai

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.