FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this video, Mark Wiens goes to a floating market, Khlong Lat Mayom

It looks like it is relatively close to Bangkok, short taxi ride from the Bang Wa terminus station on the Silom Line (BTS). May only be open on weekends.

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/khlong-lat-mayom.htm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Wild how long this place has been around. Still a nice little dinner if you're staying at the Sheraton, Westin or Sofitel on Sukhumvit, as it's right nearby. It's not high-end foody place but rather a nice Thai style spot with a little traditional Thai music in the background while you sit outside on the terrace. Food is reasonably priced although wine is a bit high for what it is. They give you a condom at for dessert (it's a legit place - just promotes safe sex).
The food is pretty mediocre but it is nice to support K. Meechai's ongoing social good.

https://www.ted.com/talks/mechai_vir...ce?language=en
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:22 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by transpac
One of the largest fish markets in the world is Mahachai in Samut Sakhon. Closer to Bangkok in Samut Prakan there is a popular fish market in Pak Nam. Then every wet market has a fish/seafood section.

Thailand is under quite a bit of scrutiny re: slavery in the fishing and processing sectors (among many other sectors: fruit, hospitality, construction, domestic sex trade/minors, etc.) so if you are at all concerned about supporting this activity...

Govt boosts slave labour crackdown

A lot of the whole crab prep. is simply steamed, then there are a multitude of other preps., with glass noodles and egg. There is a popular Curried Crab dish which can be spicy. One of my favorite noodle soups comes with some lump crab

Then there's the Som Tum with raw blue crab; sweet but not for everyone.
I randomly pointed to something on the "som tam" menu two nights ago; turns out, it was the blue crab. Freakin' arroi it was, so I had it again last night.

As for recommendations they sound like they're worth a shot.

By the by, does anybody know the hours of the Pak Nam seafood market? Thanks.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Dec 26, 2015 at 8:35 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:00 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Mark Wiens - 15 Days in Bangkok

Mark Wiens completed his 15 days in Bangkok series staying in 4 hotels (KSR area, Silom, Suk, River) and eating some amazing (I use the word advisedly) food, generally in lesser known places.

The whole series is highly recommended. He has a free ebook with the details including names, location details, costs with Thai renderings where appropriate so we Thai challenged can have a chance of getting something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...my44yuRDpS3FQt

Map also.
--Rich

Last edited by rjh; Dec 28, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:38 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I went to Uno Mas at the Centara Grand earlier this week. It's a relatively new pan-Spanish restaurant, and had some decent stuff-- some tapas, the seafood paella and churros come to mind.

The view up there is something else too.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'm seeking recommendations for places in Bangkok that specialize in crabs and/or razor clams. Definitely am in accord with the Romanization of the Thai phrase "ta mai pet, mai arroy."

Thanks,
BmB
Razor clams in this dish, but they may be a local variety?

Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Stumbled across this website today which actually gives a wealth of information and suggestion for Bangkok (and other Asian destinations). Not only covering food and broken down into areas and cusiines but it also gives some other information regarding the City of Angels. I am not endorsing the website however from a starters perspective it gives a good overview.

http://www.bangkok.com/
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
For those looking for traditional Japanese style food including Sushi, A01 near the Le Meridien in Silom is very very good. Not a huge selection of sushi, but what they have was good. Japanese style tempura made properly (like they do in Japan). Not just bread or grease covering something either. Filled with only Japanese people (I was the only Farang)

I also tried Blue Elephant and was quite unimpressed. Fancy and all - but not worth going imo.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally went to this place...awesome beef noodle, hardy and excellent during this cooler weather.

Watthana Panich
Ekkamai Soi 18 (on Ekkamai Road, 20-25 baht motorbike ride from Ekkamai BTS)

Attached Images  

Last edited by transpac; Jan 27, 2016 at 3:19 am
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:40 am

I can't find any information on "A01" restaurant. Is that the correct name?

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
For those looking for traditional Japanese style food including Sushi, A01 near the Le Meridien in Silom is very very good
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I can't find any information on "A01" restaurant. Is that the correct name?
Yes. Go out the Le Meridien Bangkok and walk right. Cross the street and make your first left on Than Thawan. Walk down this block and pass Mango Tree restaurant which will be on your right. After Mango Tree the block turns left and then forces you right. A01 is on the right hand side after this (I believe the street is Soi Silom 6). A citibank is viewable from this Soi if looking down the street.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe it's called Aoi?

In addition to Silom Soi 6, also have branches in Siam Paragon and Emporium.

http://www.aoi-bkk.com/branch/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle...staurant-silom

Last edited by transpac; Jan 29, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Believe it's called Aoi?

In addition to Silom Soi 6, also have branches in Siam Paragon and Emporium.

http://www.aoi-bkk.com/branch/

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle...staurant-silom
Yup, that's it ^
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:26 am
Company Representative, Westin Grande Sukhumvit & Sheraton Hua Hin

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG)
FYI: All SPG members get 50% discount at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit on all Buffets at Seasonal Tastes during February & March 2016. This includes:

• Weekday International Lunch Buffet (Mon-Fri, price after discount: THB 650 net)

• Seasonal Fish & Oyster Dinner Buffet (Fri-Sat, price after discount: THB 1,359 net)

• Saturday Long & Lazy Breakfast (price after discount: THB 540 net)

• Family-Filled Sunday Lunch (price after discount: THB 1,359 net)

Just contact one of our restaurant staff and show your SPG card. Contact me in case of any further questions.

Nicole
Cluster Social Media Manager
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Hi all-
This is a very enjoyable thread to read- it sounds like Bangkok is quite a lively food city. I'll be visiting for the first time later this month with my family- we'll be staying at the Conrad, and only have two days, so mostly we'll be out and about doing tourist things. The kids do tend to get tired towards the end of the day, though, and it would be nice to have some food options that are a short distance (ideally walkable) from the hotel. I did see a similar question earlier in the thread, but the restaurants recommended there weren't thai food (Mexican and something European I think)-- since I'm in town for such a short time I'd like to stick with Thai. Any suggestions for where to go? We speak no thai, so somewhere we'd be able to figure out the menu and/or communicate in English would be useful, as would a place where the kids wouldn't be out of place. If no such restaurant exists near the Conrad, but you have a great suggestion elsewhere in the city, I'm happy to hear it as well. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.