Search
Old May 18, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:35 am

I have a new favorite in Bangkok. another GREYHOUND in Siam Paragon. Inventive, fusion Thai-Italian cuisine that is delicious and affordable! I've been there 3 times so far and still love it.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I have a new favorite in Bangkok. another GREYHOUND in Siam Paragon. Inventive, fusion Thai-Italian cuisine that is delicious and affordable! I've been there 3 times so far and still love it.
GREYHOUND cafe is good, fun, and fairly well priced (although you will find many that would scream before spending that much). The original is in the Emporium (another large shopping centre as you well know).

Go and check out all the cafes and food court on the 3 upper floors (just below the theatres) of Terminal 21 at Asoke- some very interesting choices there in a great setting (a bit less sterile than Paragon).
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
GREYHOUND cafe is good, fun, and fairly well priced (although you will find many that would scream before spending that much). The original is in the Emporium (another large shopping centre as you well know).

Go and check out all the cafes and food court on the 3 upper floors (just below the theatres) of Terminal 21 at Asoke- some very interesting choices there in a great setting (a bit less sterile than Paragon).
The food court at T21 is great and extremely reasonably priced!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too like the Greyhound Cafe. The branch broadwayboy refers to is actually in Siam Discovery, a separate mall adjacent to Siam Paragon. They have at least six branches: http://www.greyhoundcafe.co.th/branch.php

Terminal 21 is a new shopping mall which directly accessible from the Asoke BTS (Skytrain) and/or the Sukhumvit MRT (subway) station. http://www.terminal21.co.th/

There is also a new mall called Central Rama 9 directly accessible from the Rama 9 MRT stop which also has a huge assortment of restaurants, cafes and two impressive food courts. http://www.centralplaza.co.th/grandrama9/directory.php
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:43 am

Wow, I did not know they have that many branches. I've been to the one in Emporium and liked it, but liked the one in Paragon even better.

Transpac, I didn't know that there is another Greyhound in Discovery, but the one I went a couple of times is in SIAM PARAGON. I think it's called 'another hound' by Greyhound. Strangely, I couldn't find this location on their website. The one in Paragon is not on the ground floor - maybe 2nd?

Their dessert is incredibly inventive and sinfully delicious! I am all into traditional Thai and street food, but whenever I am in BKK, now I always squeeze this one in.

I also like the eateries in T21, but found the local fashion shops (reminded me of shops in Suan Lum Night Bazaar) to be the highlights.

Originally Posted by transpac
I too like the Greyhound Cafe. The branch broadwayboy refers to is actually in Siam Discovery, a separate mall adjacent to Siam Paragon. They have at least six branches: http://www.greyhoundcafe.co.th/branch.php

Terminal 21 is a new shopping mall which directly accessible from the Asoke BTS (Skytrain) and/or the Sukhumvit MRT (subway) station. http://www.terminal21.co.th/

There is also a new mall called Central Rama 9 directly accessible from the Rama 9 MRT stop which also has a huge assortment of restaurants, cafes and two impressive food courts. http://www.centralplaza.co.th/grandrama9/directory.php
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
There was a French Restaurant about a block from the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel that was fantastic. I don't remember the name but we're going to look for it in a couple of weeks when we get back there after 7 yrs.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 26, 2014 at 10:42 am Reason: removed unrelated quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
There was a French Restaurant about a block from the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit Hotel that was fantastic. I don't remember the name but we're going to look for it in a couple of weeks when we get back there after 7 yrs.
Real French or wannabe French Mediterranean ? Seeing as you say it was a block from SGS, could you mean Crepes and Co ? If so, they moved about 10 blocks away to another part of town.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:08 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Le Banyan located at Sukhumvit Soi 8, (was most famous for its pressed duck Rouen-style by the brass presser proudly displayed at a prominent spot in the dining room ) was unfortunately burned down a couple of years ago. Now, there is La Colombe d'Or French Restaurant that took its place. Not the same owners, not the same quality/charm, and with higher prices.

Bottom line: avoid!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Siam Center Shopping Mall re-opened on 11 January 2013 after a major re-fit. The focus seems to be on mid-range fashion and clothing, but the fourth floor has an impressive food court, and some restaurants not normally found in other malls.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by konoyaro
I've booked La Table de Tee for New Year's Eve dinner and based on what I've heard about it, I'm looking forward to it. Has anyone here been there recently?
Had dinner there this past weekend. Have to say I (and my Thai-resident father who isn't that fond of fusion food) am very impressed by the food. They keep a small prix-fixe menu and do it well. Food wasn't as spicy as I was expecting/hoping but it allows you to actually taste the ingredients and subtle flavours. Food was well-cooked and presentation was excellent.

On our menu last week, we started off with a scallop and prawn bisque. Soup was minimal (served on a plate) but tasty. Next was pork terrine with crispy pork belly though that pork belly was a titch too hard and crispy. Next was fish (deep fried) or mushroom risotto. Both were excellent (the sauce for the fish didn't over power it). My wife found the risotto excellent and what a risotto should be (creamy from the rice starch and al dente). The main was a choice of beef and lamb. Both were excellent but the lamb was particularly so.

The dessert was a strawberry one. The fresh strawberries were actually tasty (said to be tasteless in Thailand) though some of the other things were a bit sweet, and the shortbread was a bit too firm and squished the mousse parfait it was sandwiching). The peanut macaroons (macaroons are a fixture of Chartree) were excellent.

There seem to have been a few changes: Menu is now THB 950 + 10% SC instead of THB 750 and is now changed weekly (Tu-Su) instead of daily.

You can BYO(wine) for ~ THB 300 corkage. The food was such that you could drink a good wine wine with the meal.

Reservations advised as they can only eat 20.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My wife and I ate at 2 branches of Taling Pling earlier this week. We were quite pleased with the quality and consistency of the food given given the first place we ate at was in Siam Discovery mall (that branch is popular with local office workers and others). We also went to have dinner at the main restaurant (4 others in malls) at Baan Silom and again it was very good.

What was striking is that a close relative of a major owner of S&P was with us and commented that the food at S&P was more expensive and not so good.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
My wife and I ate at 2 branches of Taling Pling earlier this week. We were quite pleased with the quality and consistency of the food given given the first place we ate at was in Siam Discovery mall (that branch is popular with local office workers and others). We also went to have dinner at the main restaurant (4 others in malls) at Baan Silom and again it was very good.

What was striking is that a close relative of a major owner of S&P was with us and commented that the food at S&P was more expensive and not so good.
Taling Pling's location on Soi 34 is great too. It's in the owners old house, which has been renovated and is quite nice. The walk from Sukhumvit is a little long, but they have a Tuk Tuk. A very nice setting and the food is excellent.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Good "Indian Chinese " restaurant / home delivery - Dragon Xpress

Hi,
Tried this place couple of times for home delivery.. Quite good and reasonable indian chinese food .. Quantity is also very decent..
Would recommend to anyone wanting to have "spicy" chinese food in Bangkok..

http://www.dragonxpress.com/contactus.php
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Arrow Thai food suggestions

Thanks Foodie!

I can see how after many times here, it could be been there/done that and too far/ too much hassle for elsewhere.

Off topic, I know, but with your handle, I have to ask what your favorite Thai restaurants (at least somewhat upscale) are.

I'll have to look into Asiatique. So far this trip, I've been to the terrace at Sala Rim Nam (I.e., the Oriental), tonight will be Nahm, tomorrow will be Breeze ( not Thai, but memorable from my meal last year)

The Oriental was sort of meh food, offset by the boat pickup and riverside table. But the protein quality (shrimp and "sea bass" was not what I hoped for.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
(...)
Off topic, I know, but with your handle, I have to ask what your favorite Thai restaurants (at least somewhat upscale) are.

I'll have to look into Asiatique. So far this trip, I've been to the terrace at Sala Rim Nam (I.e., the Oriental), tonight will be Nahm, tomorrow will be Breeze ( not Thai, but memorable from my meal last year)

The Oriental was sort of meh food, offset by the boat pickup and riverside table. But the protein quality (shrimp and "sea bass" was not what I hoped for.
To ask for amazing Thai food in the same line with 'at least somewhat upscale' give a strange echo in my head and really made me thinking. I could name same well renown restaurants like Basil in the SGS, the Lan Na Thai @Face Bar or many similar places. Honestly, in my opinion that does not do Thai food justice - or at least the Thai food I love so much. I would prefer high quality Thai food from a simple restaurant for real Thai people over those pretentious places for tourists all the time. But I guess this is (together with food stalls) a highly controversial topic in this Forum.

I just posted on my blog about a (former) amazing Thai sea food place in Bangkok, which was my favorite and beloved to a point, that I selfishly kept it a secret.
http://foodieontour.com/2013/02/form...ce-in-bangkok/

Give it a read, compare it with the websites pictures and ratings of the 'upscale' restaurants for tourists - which come with a 5 to 20 times higher price tag but are in no way superior food wise... and make up your own mind what you prefer.

In the end, this assessment is certainly my opinion, which does not have to be yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.