Print Wikipost

Guide to Bangkok Eating: Restaurants, Street Food and More

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
How is Ram-Intra anywhere near Sukhumvit?
It isn't near Sukhumvit at all. Here is the full post I quoted.

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
+1.

I live in Sukhumvit directly at Asoke BTS and when I want to eat real Thai food that is safe to eat, I need to have it cooked at home or we have to get on the Skytrain or the car and get the hell out of here. Sukhumvit is not Thailand.

I recommend Waterside Resort Restaurant around Ram-Intra. http://www.waterside-bkk.com/ - that's middle class. Need car or taxi to get there.

For every day North-Eastern food you can head to Steak Lao in Piyarom Sports Park (no website that i know of). Just before Sukhumvit 103. BTS Station Punnawiti.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
Would never eat at Suda again either. Everytime I went, I'd say it was 70% Westerners eating there. And the constant hassle from vendors trying to sell you fake watches and croaking wooden frogs gets annoying pretty quick.

I used to enjoy Vientienne Kitchen on Suk Soi 36. Haven't been in a few years, so can't confirm what it's like now. Ton Krueng on Thonglor 55/Soi 13 was also very good.
I guess I would take the croaking frogs than suffer what the Vientienne Kitchen offers.

http://www.kohspot.com/bangkok/eats/...e-disappoints/
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
It's too bad that Vientienne Kitchen has apparently gone downhill. I had an absolutely fantastic dinner there about 5 years ago. I always meant to go back, but maybe not now.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mont-Fleuri
I guess I would take the croaking frogs than suffer what the Vientienne Kitchen offers.

http://www.kohspot.com/bangkok/eats/...e-disappoints/
Too bad it has gone downhill. Sounds like its as bad now as Suda.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
My goodness!

Can we all agree that one of the best things about Bangkok is that from street food to 3 star Michelin dining with gran cru wines to match this city has quality and diversity that is practically unmatched worldwide?

I like everything from the street hawkers to the food lofts to the canteen at our offices to the food center at the newish convention center to the China Grill at the Oriental. This is the beauty of Bangkok.

Suggesting there is nowhere to eat near Sukhumvit is ridiculous- given espeically that Sukhumvit is the longest road in Thailand and one of the longest in Asia. Suggesting that only street food is authentic is also absurd.

Some of my Thai friends absolutely love Basil at the SGS for example. They are pretty authentic meaning >10th generation Thai. Others love to go to the steakhouse at the Four Seasons. Some will only cook at home. Some like Thai places that are 50 km from the centre of Bangkok and only accept customers they know personally. Etc. Hmm.. kind of reminds me of practically every city in the world.

What would be great is to attempt to answer the OPs question: Best Local Thai Restaurant near Sukhmuvit. It cannot be that hard. The place on S33 next to the Lotus is almost only local customers, is very reasonably priced, and has great quality with a beautiful restaurant and wonderful seafood for example.
Exceptionally written ! Have to disagree about the wine thing though. A 'Gran Cru', though easily available, is 'farang juice' and would cost you more than a pickup truck. wj
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Exceptionally written ! Have to disagree about the wine thing though. A 'Gran Cru', though easily available, is 'farang juice' and would cost you more than a pickup truck. wj
Thanks for the laugh whackyjacky. We all do like to choose our own drinks- although you are right that wine in Thailand is generally priced closer to automobiles than beverages! If only the local Thai wine could get just a little bit better....
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:54 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Let me second the recommendation for Waterside Resort Restaurant. forumpersona999 took me there last weekend and it was really great. The atmosphere, food, drink and of course forumpersona999's pleasant company made it a great evening. I strongly recommend this place. ^
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
How is Ram-Intra anywhere near Sukhumvit?
Originally Posted by yosithezet
It isn't near Sukhumvit at all. Here is the full post I quoted.
Sorry, Yosi, but forumpersona's post made it clear that it was nowhere near a tourist area, while yours did not.

I have some friends by Ramintra, and my taxi ride there is about 150-200THB plus at least 2 tollways (maybe 3) and another 100THB (ish), and takes about 45mins to an hour, without traffic jams.

I would hate for a FTer to hop in a taxi thinking it was an easy ride. I have had people ask me if the place in your link is the one that we went to by the river. So, while it may be a great place, reality is that it is no where near the river and no where near touristville (probably a great place nonetheless), neither of which is clear in your post.

Which has me thinking, this great discussion may be the lead in to a 2011-2012 Bangkok Dining thread. I think you'd be the perfect one to start one!

Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, marriott plat
Agree. Been twice. Guests always thought it was a hoot. But not for everyone.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, marriott plat
Been to Basil a half dozen times or so over the past two years. Thai friends seemed to like it. Service was always great.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
One hotel restaurant I like is ...the Sukhothai.
Only for smart-end wedding receptions
Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:48 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
So I'm staying near Sukhumvit Soi 18 I plan to stay away from Western places to eat, I know a few locals thankfully, but most of the time I'll be on my own. This is my first time to Asia, so I am super excited to get out and try new things. Is there anything food wise I need to do while I am there?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:48 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I suggest you check out the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...ok-eating.html

There is even a Google Map with markers for the places discussed in the thread.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:07 am

Any recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner in BKK? From 2009 article, the top 3 mentioned are Bourbon St, Sheraton Grande and Madison at the Four Seasons Hotel. Is that still the case or are there any others you guys would recommend? Ideally, a non-buffet affair would be great.

None of the three mentioned above has anything on their websites about Thanksgiving yet.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Any recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner in BKK? From 2009 article, the top 3 mentioned are Bourbon St, Sheraton Grande and Madison at the Four Seasons Hotel. Is that still the case or are there any others you guys would recommend? Ideally, a non-buffet affair would be great.

None of the three mentioned above has anything on their websites about Thanksgiving yet.
I have been to the Four Seasons Bangkok for Thanksgiving and it was very very good.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by broadwayboy

The Sheraton Grande is going a Thanksgiving dinner again this year. Recently got an email about it from them... Here is the link from the email:
http://www.sheratongrandesukhumvit.c...anksgiving2011

Looks like a fun celebration....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.