Wiki Posts
Search

2 adults and 3 kids in a room Bangkok and Pattaya

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Originally Posted by craz
OP for the Life of me I cant understand why you started this thread!! Ive read opins from most folks against what you want to do and where to stay and bingo although you were told the hotel in BKK was dumpy you booked it anyway cause you wanted to,. Thats OK but it seems you arent in the least way open to anything that runs against what you wanted to do from the start, so why start this thread?
while I appreciate views and since majority of posters have said that the hotel and destinations are not in tune to what people would recommend I have had couple of people message me privately about positive family experiences in Pattaya.

this would be my 10th visit to Thailand and 4th time with my family. I have seen the “ dump “ Thailand has become and I firmly believe that although the sex workers and the way Pattaya has developed over the years may not be ideal but it still can make a good family destination, one needs to know which places to avoid. I had a very awkward experience at Phuket in a 5 star resort and there is little you can do about it in whole of Thailand.

I agree that chances of having awkward encounters drastically reduced in Phuket, Krabi etc. Bangkok is a weekend destination flight time of 2 hours from where I live and since I am not willing to take another flight to a more secluded destination with 3 kids over Christmas time I am left with little choice. I was open to any destination driving distance similar to Pattaya which is not hua hin and have not found anything.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I saw the thread title about kids in Pattaya, it reminded me of some not very good movie--it might have been called Taken--about a family taking a vacation in Thailand and the young daughter is kidnapped by sex traffickers (IIRC on a motorbike) and made into a sex slave. The whole think happened very quickly at some rather innocuous looking tourist souvenir shop with outside displays while the parents were distracted for just a second.

I agree with the other posts above that this is not a good or appropriate place for a family vacation.
if you are really thinking of taken the first movie it was in France where the daughter was kidnapped. The second movie was in Istanbul. Assuming movies depict real life situation I would not be able to live in the country I am in nor able to travel anywhere in the world. Leaving for London and Istanbul in a week keeling my fingers crossed.

Advice appreciated that you feel Pattaya is not a family destination but if you would have any experience of staying in any of the above properties it would be more value to me.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
While I do not have experience at any of the three properties and was the first to question if Pattaya was the best destination for your family, so long as you understand what it is and what taking your family there will entail, have a good trip. While many of us would not take our families there, as I posted in #2 on this thread, I have both spoken to families there on holiday and know people who have gone with kids: No kidnappings, no forced child anythings and no damage to any of the children involved.

I worked for a large multi-national company with a large facility in Pattaya. Our corporate rate at the former Marriott was incredible. An American colleague who worked in Bangkok regularly went to Pattaya for the weekend with his family. His kids would walk past the pros on the beach and the ladyboys selling messages between the hotel and Family Mart without issue. The kids, young teens, were allowed to walk outside alone,

One time in the McD's on the northern corner of Beach St just past the old Marriott a Dutch family of four sat down at the table next to me. We wound up talking. The parents said they wished they had known more about Pattaya before they decided to do the trip, but the boys, maybe 13 and 15, said they loved learning all these new things. Apparently the younger of the two boys was trying to engage every pro on the Beach St sidewalk in conversation. While we were talking, one person came in selling lottery tickets and another came in selling watches. Two young men came in, sat down at the table on the same bench I was on and tried very hard to get my attention. And I mean, umm, hard. (Pun intended.) One laid down on the bench and gave a lengthy flash. And by lengthy, unfortunately for him I mean time-wise, not physical measurement. The family just ignored the two gentlemen.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 18, 2019 at 4:20 pm
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:40 am

Post #1 . OP states he is going to two places and asks for hotel recommendations.
First reply: Why are you going to Pattaya?
Post #3 : "we stayed at hua hin a couple of years ago. Intention is to take a family resort and not get out of it for 4 days. Open to any other place within driving distance of 2 -3 hours. "

Almost all of the rest of the posts have nothing at all to do with what the OP asked.
Nobody suggested another place that is within a few hours driving distance. Some people even suggested places you have to fly to. Then the thread went off a tangent to child sex trafficking.

Wow guys.

I can't imagine what you think about people raising families in Pattaya.
braslvr and Diplomatico like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
this would be my 10th visit to Thailand and 4th time with my family. I have seen the “ dump “ Thailand has become and I firmly believe that although the sex workers and the way Pattaya has developed over the years may not be ideal but it still can make a good family destination, one needs to know which places to avoid. I had a very awkward experience at Phuket in a 5 star resort and there is little you can do about it in whole of Thailand.
Yeah, it's nonsense. A friend lives in Jomtien and he avoids the red light district easily.

Anyways, I wouldn't really recommend Grand Centre Point because there's a new Terminal 21 mall opened up next to it and the area has turned into traffic-central with lots of big double-decker buses.

Dusit and Amari are both fine, but I'd lean toward Dusit because the area north of there have accessible restaurants/shops without crossing Beach Rd.

The front desk staff won't care about the 2 little kids, that headcount is geared toward adults.
Paella747 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:05 pm

While Pattaya has a bad reputation, it's certainly improved over the last few years. Of course there is a red light district, but this is Thailand and it's a tourist town, so that's to be expected.As long as you're going in eyes open it's all good. I have heard many good things about it from friends who went with families.

With regards to Bangkok, the Grand Centre Point is not a good deal. You can find better prices from other serviced apartments and not as busy.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
While Pattaya has a bad reputation, it's certainly improved over the last few years. Of course there is a red light district, but this is Thailand and it's a tourist town, so that's to be expected.As long as you're going in eyes open it's all good. I have heard many good things about it from friends who went with families.

With regards to Bangkok, the Grand Centre Point is not a good deal. You can find better prices from other serviced apartments and not as busy.
in Bangkok we are staying at citadines 2 bedroom apt for about 520 usd for 4 nights. Looking to be near the central area only as with 2 small kids taking BTS is not a very appealing. If you can send me some names in the same range will be happy to get a better place.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer

in Bangkok we are staying at citadines 2 bedroom apt for about 520 usd for 4 nights. Looking to be near the central area only as with 2 small kids taking BTS is not a very appealing. If you can send me some names in the same range will be happy to get a better place.
If you are happy with Citadines then go with that. My data points for serviced apartments are slightly older, but typically I would have stayed at Citadines (or its related properties). Incidentally, the BTS should be fine to travel on even with small kids - it's generally faster than taking car and it's air conditioned. The only times I would avoid it, is during the morning and afternoon rush hours and if it is raining like crazy. These both tend to be times when the train is jammed. Also, I have found Thais to be generally respectful of personal space on BTS, so from my experience at least, it's a pleasant experience.

In any case I hope you have a great time in both Thai locations. Please do share some photos/reviews.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I stayed at Pullman G some years ago, it's outside seedy Pattaya on Naklua beach, lots of restaurants walking distance, quite neighborhood.
Beach itself not clean but anyway better than Pattaya bay, hotel has good food, they had a Wednesday Spanish tapas thing with guitar music/songs and excellent Friday seafood buffet.
I always stay in Accor properties because the are child friendly but only have 1 daughter of 8 (am gold and often get upgrade)
for October I booked Novotel Phuket Surin Beach, I had it with Pattaya.
With 5 pax you might wish the family suite with bunk bed, pricing I see for 4 nights is 19.280THB or 626USD

But for a family beach resort near Bangkok I would rather chose Bang Saen closer to Bangkok.

As for Bangkok any of the many Novotels would do, Citadines no Thank you, Novotel Ploenchit would be a better location.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I liked the Amari Orchid when I stayed there in 2009 thanks to the Expedia.uk/fr/it promotion (hard to believe it has been 10 years). I stayed in the 4-star wing rather than the 5-star tower, but the two pools were great and they also had the Mantra restaurant. It had an "oasis" kind of feel to it even though it was on the baht-bus route.

I think the problem now is they might still be doing a lot of construction on the site.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by tartempion
Citadines no Thank you
Not sure why? My wife and I have stayed over 5 months total at Citadines Soi 11, and 3 months at the Soi 23 location, all in one bedroom apts., over the past 4 years. Extremely good value, nice large clean rooms. Great service. Great locations. Luxurious, no.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Just wanting a quick update I am getting a deal in the centra grand mirage resort in Pattaya (Have heard great things about it) just looking for data point if they would allow 3 kids in a family twin room, their current system allows 2 kids given we have 2 kids below 5 years of age would they make an exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.