Thailand Air Pollution problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand Air Pollution problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
"The "authorities" are telling us its because people are burning too much incense."
Yeah, right *!*??
Left Bangkok yesterday for KL What a pleasure to be able to see for miles.... and miles......and miles............

Originally Posted by transpac
Pretty bad again in Bangkok. The "authorities" are telling us its because people are burning too much incense.

Hazy days and Sundays – Bangkok has fifth highest air pollution in the world

Right around the capital this morning, a day of the quietest traffic, and stretching around the central Thailand region and down to Pattaya, the smoke and haze caused by the plantation burn-offs is palpable as people try and find some respite from the poor air quality.

The northern airflows are blowing all the smoke from the field fires lit by farmers back into the city today. The city, already in a mild panic over the Coronavirus cases in Thailand, is short on masks and probably even shorted on patience as the Thai Government continues to put lives at risk by doing little about solving the smog crisis.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/air-...n/bangkok-haze
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
Left Bangkok yesterday for KL What a pleasure to be able to see for miles.... and miles......and miles............
Now:
AQI PM25 in KL 48
AQI PM25 BKK 167

No clue why people want to come to Thailand? TAT's new slogan: Come for the smog, stay for the coronavirus.

And don't get me started on the water shortage. Have friends in Phuket who've been without water (street-side supply) for 10 days. They have to pay for trucked-in water to fill their tanks. All the reservoirs are empty; its a long way to May.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The AQI forecast for Bangkok this week looks quite dismal.

Masks are very hard to find here, so make sure you bring a supply for your visit. Most shops were sold out yesterday, still see some on-line, but who knows if they really have inventory.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air quality a bit better in Bangkok - still not healthy, but better. Higher speed winds blowing the pollution north, away from the city. Sucks for them though.

Getting bad in the north.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:51 am

For the people who live in Thailand, does a room air purifier help? Any specific features to look for? Just make sure it has a HEPA filter? Are there air con units with HEPA filters?
If you just stay inside a modern apt/condo all day is an air filter necessary?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Air quality a bit better in Bangkok - still not healthy, but better. Higher speed winds blowing the pollution north, away from the city. Sucks for them though.

Getting bad in the north.
I arrived in BKK yesterday and as a ‘mild asthma’ patient I was fearing for the worst, however I’m happy to say that it doesn’t feel worse than other times that I visited BKK.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Great_circle
I arrived in BKK yesterday and as a ‘mild asthma’ patient I was fearing for the worst, however I’m happy to say that it doesn’t feel worse than other times that I visited BKK.
No clue what other times you've visited, but, while greatly improved from the last week or so, it is still quite unhealthy, especially for risk groups.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air quality in Bangkok is very bad this week and is forecasted to bad next week as well.

Visibility is limited, once you step outside you smell the smoky flavor, with a burnt plastic finish.

Obviously it is worse in the North.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
This website monitors the air quality situation: Bangkok Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index

SL
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SunLover
This website monitors the air quality situation: Bangkok Air Pollution: Real-time Air Quality Index

SL
The forecast on this site paints a bleak picture for this week: dark red and purple, with PM2.5 upwards of 200+.

Anyone coming to Bangkok should bring a supply of masks.

Amazing when the air is better in Chiang Mai at this time of year.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
The forecast on this site paints a bleak picture for this week: dark red and purple, with PM2.5 upwards of 200+.

Anyone coming to Bangkok should bring a supply of masks.

Amazing when the air is better in Chiang Mai at this time of year.
Good advice except good luck finding n95 masks anywhere. On Amazon in the US they are being scalped for amazing prices and are not in stock anywhere near where I live in Calif (people apparently are buying them to bulk to scalp or send to relatives overseas even though there is no real need for them here - except for medical types). None were to be found when I was in Bangkok last after the virus was announced (although they were plentiful before that) nor in KL
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lazada.th has masks here, bought 50 a few days ago.

Cambodia burns, Bangkok chokes, schools closed

Bangkok mums and dads will need to sort out what to do with the kids for the rest of the week after the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration closed public schools from today because of the excessive air pollution. Most of the smoke and haze is blowing in from Cambodia with light easterly winds.

All schools under the supervision of the BMA will close until Friday. Air quality in the capital has worsened over the past two days with Bangkok recurring the world’s 5th worst air pollution yesterday (today it is 10th). The forecast today is for light winds and poor air circulation which will compound the accumulation of PM2.5 dust and smoke particles.

In other measures City Hall is asking high-rise construction and electric train construction sites to suspend their operations until Friday.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/air-...schools-closed
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Just returned from Bangkok. It was my first trip where the effects of the poor air quality directly affected my activities. When I got home the air smelled so fresh it almost smelled scented by comparison, so I decided to look up the real time air quality differences:

Bangkok AQI = 156
Rockland County NY AQI = 6

New appreciation for air quality here.

SL
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the record, rain doesn't help to clean the air.

We got hammered with a huge rainstorm - unusual during dry season - this afternoon. AQI still north of 150 (PM25). So air still deadly, and it's 100% humidity.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I didn't realize how bad pollution was in Thailand.

When I visited Vietnam, I thought it was pretty bad, with all those dirty scooters everywhere. The local residents wouldn't take buses, which would do a lot towards easing the pollution problem in Vietnam because they'd lose too much mobility and flexibility.

I assume Thailand would be more developed, wealthier and more likely to demand cleaner environment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.