Thailand Air Pollution problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand Air Pollution problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just stepped outside, here in Bangkok seems clear, cool, crisp - good visibility, so far.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transpac
Chiang Mai looks nice, for now.
No problems currently in Chiang Mai. But temperatures are unusually cool. Now 20 degrees C. Had to turn the air conditioning off!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I had to laugh at an article I read where it was suggested that watering down the dust from construction was a major "fix".
Having lived in Los Angeles many years ago and remembering descending thro layers of more and more dense brown to LAX as well as unbreathable air (I actually had to install a charcoal and other filter in my house) it s clear that unless something is done about the traffic (esp the older buses that spew black exhaust constantly) not much will change. California enacted very stringent rules about cars and gasoline mileage, etc. and things got a bit better.

Yes the weather contributes, and wind factors in, but with only some of the taxis (and ?cars) using a "cleaner' fuel and no pollution guidelines for charcoal burning food vendors all over the streets (yes I'd miss them) incredible traffic jams with cars and cycles sitting still for hours spewing exhaust as well as denser and denser buildings so even if the wind blows there are lots of obstacles to "clearing the air" it doesn't look good
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: most of them
yeah, there are some things that would seem obvious like cleaner buses. But the sheer volume of idling traffic all adds up. I saw that they were halting construction for a few days on the various rail projects which seems like a counterproductive idea.

Once the sea level rises Bangkok will be under water anyway. Time to start over.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to laugh at an article I read where it was suggested that watering down the dust from construction was a major "fix".

Can't say if it qualifies as a "major" fix, but it certainly helps. Construction (public works and private development) here is off the charts, and anyone who lives here deals with the daily dust. Hosing down constructions sites to minimize dust dispersal is a fairly common practice, AFAIK.

The conundrum of the public transportation construction efforts here (elevated rail lines) is that these are built (for the most part) along/above main roads. Hence construction causes even more severe traffic issues. Halting construction, where feasible, for short periods of inversion seems like a reasonable public safety initiative?

Seems fine outside now, but it's supposed to be quite bad Fri-Sun.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:23 pm

Can't say if it qualifies as a "major" fix, but it certainly helps. Construction (public works and private development) here is off the charts, and anyone who lives here deals with the daily dust. Hosing down constructions sites to minimize dust dispersal is a fairly common practice, AFAIK.

The conundrum of the public transportation construction efforts here (elevated rail lines) is that these are built (for the most part) along/above main roads. Hence construction causes even more severe traffic issues. Halting construction, where feasible, for short periods of inversion seems like a reasonable public safety initiative?

Seems fine outside now, but it's supposed to be quite bad Fri-Sun.
I wasn't suggesting that minimizing dust wasn't a good idea - surely that should always be done, but IMO the massive traffic jams with pollutants spewing out for hours seems like a much bigger contributor - surely the way roads are blocked for construction (that is not yet even active) adds to the jams and this is not even addressed.
Aren't there lots of new buses sitting somewhere on a dock b/c of an import or tax issue (can't remember) - I would guess these wouldn't be spewing the black smoke that the old buses (with holes through the floor) are currently emitting
Maybe I should invest in companies that make N95 masks
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems quite bad today in Bangkok, very little traffic but poor visibility and many people coughing, including me after just a few minutes outside.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:41 pm

Schools are closed today in Bangkok due to the pollution. I highly recommend using a N95 grade mask if you will be in the city for any decent amount of time. Also, buy one of these before you get to Bangkok because they're in short supply at shops.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:44 pm

I wonder how many people, like me, are considering a different destination for their next trip(s) due to the pollution?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
I wonder how many people, like me, are considering a different destination for their next trip(s) due to the pollution?

Suvarnabhumi expects 2.6M New Year tourists

Suvarnabhumi Airport is expected to be bursting at the seams with an estimated 2.6 million travellers expected to pass through the airport during the Chinese New Year holiday.

It is predicted that the country's main airport will serve 200,000 passengers per day during the festival, which began Wednesday and runs until Feb 11.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning...-year-tourists

It's probably too late to change near-in vacation/travel plans for many?

And judging by the throngs of tourists on the BTS today, not a lot?

Yesterday and today have been, by far, the worst I've ever seen here re: smog/dust. Have seen many fires in the eastern suburbs over the past few days.

Going forward? Who knows? I've honestly never understood why so many tourists come to Thailand anyway.

41.1m tourists eyed for 2019 worth B2.2 trillion

Tourism will continue to be a powerful driver for economic growth this year, expected to generate 2.21 trillion baht in income from 41.1 million international arrivals. The 38.3 million visitors welcomed...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...-b2-2-trillion
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:10 am

Some Thais are using N95 facial masks (3M is a popular brand). People who are very concerned about that may wish to bring some with them. Normally you can buy them in well stocked pharmacies in Bangkok, but apparently they are sold out many places now.

My layman's opinion based on what I've read before, for what little it's worth, is that there is not much reason to be concerned for people that are just passing through for a few day and are not in a high risk group. Unless you have respiratory problems, any adverse long-term effect is unlikely. For people who live there, should the current levels of pollution continue, it is of course quite serious.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ordered 3M masks from Lazada, still available (COD, local sourcing) but prices going up. Easy to understand that pharmacies are sold out, everyone's wearing a mask these days.

Seems a bit better this morning, but Wed and Thu were quite bad. Immediately upon stepping outside, I got a strong smoke/burnt smell, and a strange metallic taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:08 pm

Suvarnabhumi expects 2.6M New Year tourists

Suvarnabhumi Airport is expected to be bursting at the seams with an estimated 2.6 million travellers expected to pass through the airport during the Chinese New Year holiday.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning...-year-tourists

It's probably too late to change near-in vacation/travel plans for many?

And judging by the throngs of tourists on the BTS today, not a lot?

Yesterday and today have been, by far, the worst I've ever seen here re: smog/dust.

Going forward? Who knows? I've honestly never understood why so many tourists come to Thailand anyway.

41.1m tourists eyed for 2019 worth B2.2 trillion

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...-b2-2-trillion
All quite true - but there are a few (?many) older folks who come often for longer periods of time (weeks to months) who may reconsider. Some people from China may be more used to pollution (sadly) and of course can't change plans at the last minute, but if this continues (and why shouldn't it until the rainy season) those of us who have a choice may make choose a different destination.
For me I'm considering Bali for a month instead of Bangkok - maybe in the minority but ......

Last edited by estnet; Feb 1, 2019 at 4:22 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:33 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
A friend who lives in Ayutthaya was surprised to find out that pollution there was worse than Bangkok. It's 81 vs Bangkok 158 now, though. Bad in the North, too. map
Kalboz likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: most of them
I am definitely bringing a bunch of masks with me. It looks like Southern Vietnam (my other destination for this trip) is just as bad going by the numbers. I figure I can leave some of the masks for hotel staff or whoever if I don't need them all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.