Thailand Air Pollution problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand Air Pollution problems

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it would be Feb 12 arrival and a matter of how many days to stay.

Should be OK, understanding that predicting anything here much farther out than an hour is pretty useless.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:30 am
Suspended

What is the best time to travel in Chiang Mai. I want to go to Chiangmai and join Lay Krathong Festival. But I afraid it will be crownded in there.
Is that worth ?
Old May 28, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kat122
What is the best time to travel in Chiang Mai. I want to go to Chiangmai and join Lay Krathong Festival. But I afraid it will be crownded in there.
Is that worth ?

Chaing Mai is a popular tourist destination in Thailand.

Loy Krathong, and Yee Peng, are certainly worth experiencing in the north of Thailand. It may be crowded, with both Thais and some foreigners.

Festivities generally stretch over a few days, I think it's 11 -13 November this year, with the full moon on the 13th.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air quality in Bangkok, and Chiang Mai is already quite poor.

Maybe consider bringing masks with you.

Regarding water: we're looking at a severe shortage until rainy season (so ~ 3 months), the Bangkok tap water is brackish as the sea-water flows up the Chao Phraya River.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do Thai hotels provide bottled water?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Do Thai hotels provide bottled water?
Some/many/most do. RO water sourced locally.RO suppliers are said to be struggling with the supply quality and its effects on their equipment.

As with places like Phuket and Pattaya which run dry, potable water (laundry, showers, etc.) has to be trucked in.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by transpac
Air quality in Bangkok, and Chiang Mai is already quite poor.

Maybe consider bringing masks with you.
Chiang Mai Air Quality Index (AQI - PM 2.5) is currently 151 (unhealthy). Bangkok is 169.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Varies quite a bit by exact location...

Air Pollution in Thailand: Real-time Air Quality Index Visual Map
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is it seasonal or always bad?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by wco81
Is it seasonal or always bad?
Seasonal. Worse in the winter months.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
But this year it has come surprising early. Previous years it has been in February/March and more or less contained to the north (Chiang Mai etc) and central Thailand with only minor issues in BKK.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
But this year it has come surprising early. Previous years it has been in February/March and more or less contained to the north (Chiang Mai etc) and central Thailand with only minor issues in BKK.
It was bad in Bangkok in January last year, just look at the posts in this thread from that period.

Seeing some government talk about potentially banning private autos. That should go over well.

Schools closed today.

Nearly 300,000 Bangkok school students stay at home today as a measure to reduce air pollution

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/air-...-air-pollution

Govt takes heavy flak for toxic smog response

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...-smog-response
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Let me put this in my personal perspective.

I have severe chronic asthma. I live in Huntsville AL, which is among the worst places for asthmatics in the US. I am usually in Bangkok twice a year. I generally have LESS trouble in Bangkok than I do in Huntsville. (Admittedly, I do modify my medication regimen while in town, to take into account the significantly higher temperatures and greater physical stress: I walk a LOT more in Bangkok than in Huntsville, because I can.)

I was in Bangkok last year during the worst of it. An asthma exacerbation that had been gradually getting worse and worse, for a few weeks, got bad enough to justify hospitalization. I spent ten days in the hospital, getting it cleared up, which played merry Hob with my plans for the trip. Oh well. On release, the doctor told me, in no uncertain terms, to wear a mask for the PM 2.5 pollution. And I did, most of the time.

Truthfully, I didn't notice much difference between mask and no mask.

This is my experience. Your Mileage May Vary.

I'd suggest spending 20 bucks on a box of dust masks suitable for PM 2.5 if you're going to be in Bangkok, but I would not personally worry that much about it.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air quality in Bangkok is generally worse in Jan, Feb & Mar. Air quality in Chiang Mai/North is worse in Feb, Mar & Apr, or until rainy season begins. Air quality is generally much worse (1X-2X) in the north than in Bangkok.

Everyone in Bangkok is wearing masks now, but not so much for the increasingly poor air quality. Buying masks here? Quite challenging as of today. Definitely bring your own.

The current situation represents a bit of a shift as sugar cane crops, which the government/sugar tycoons have encouraged the growth of, is "harvested". It is faster/easier/cheaper - although the factory price is greatly reduced - to burn the crop to harvest it. Hence this early hit of smoke is a new trend. Other field/forest burning will follow the traditional model, starting soon.

I think one safe PM25 threshold is 50, while the Thai authorities have deemed 100 to be a better threshold for their citizens. (It was 564 in Phrae yesterday, a Nok Air flight couldn't land due to limited visibility.) Older folks, younger children and people with underlying morbidities/respiratory conditions should at least be aware of the risks, and monitor the AQI. There are so many places one can go where the air quality is not an issue, and if you like to walk join a gym or walk in the mall.

Last edited by transpac; Jan 27, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty bad again in Bangkok. The "authorities" are telling us its because people are burning too much incense.

Hazy days and Sundays – Bangkok has fifth highest air pollution in the world

Right around the capital this morning, a day of the quietest traffic, and stretching around the central Thailand region and down to Pattaya, the smoke and haze caused by the plantation burn-offs is palpable as people try and find some respite from the poor air quality.

The northern airflows are blowing all the smoke from the field fires lit by farmers back into the city today. The city, already in a mild panic over the Coronavirus cases in Thailand, is short on masks and probably even shorted on patience as the Thai Government continues to put lives at risk by doing little about solving the smog crisis.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/air-...n/bangkok-haze
restlessinRNO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.