Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I am very intrigued by the idea of a tailored suit and shirts, so I am wondering how much time one would have to allocate for a fitting and the whole process. Also, would they ship to Canada? I will be there for only three days and was wondering if this could fit into a likely busy schedule.
Three days is not enough for quality. You can get something done but it's not going to be perfect.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold, LH Senator, …
Originally Posted by Merlin666
I am very intrigued by the idea of a tailored suit and shirts, so I am wondering how much time one would have to allocate for a fitting and the whole process. Also, would they ship to Canada? I will be there for only three days and was wondering if this could fit into a likely busy schedule.
They could probably get the shirts done in 3 days. You might have 2 fittings on the second day.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:27 am

Looking for a tailor

Hello,
I'am an exchange student currently studying at Chulalongkorn Uni. in Bangkok, my semester will end i December, and I just figured out it was about time to get myself a new suit down here since the prices are cheaper than it is back home.

I just had some questions about which tailor I should use:
- I want a suit in good quality(for when I'm done with my master degree early next year, a business suit), preferably with a vest, max price for these two together around 15.000 TBH
- I also want some shirts, around 7, both formal and casual ones. How much are the prices ranges for a shirt (I know it depends on the quality, but just give me some examples).

After reading a bit here, it seems like a lot of people recommend Alex, Pinky and Raja, but I really have no idea.

As I leave in December, time is no problem for me, so I'll rather spend a lot time and get a perfect result, than 5 days and get a bad one.

Thank you all!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Kjell
Hello,
I'am an exchange student currently studying at Chulalongkorn Uni. in Bangkok, my semester will end i December, and I just figured out it was about time to get myself a new suit down here since the prices are cheaper than it is back home. ... After reading a bit here, it seems like a lot of people recommend Alex, Pinky and Raja, but I really have no idea.
As with Starwood hotels in Bangkok, you're going to find that there are many from which to choose, and everyone has their favorite one. And just as many people will say that that same tailor does a poor job. Personally, I've had great success with Rajawongse, on Suk adjacent to the Landmark Hotel, in a small strip of shops. Numerous suits, trousers, blazers and some shirts, too. Best thing is to read this thread, then visit a few shops before you decide.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:49 am

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
- I also want some shirts, around 7, both formal and casual ones. How much are the prices ranges for a shirt (I know it depends on the quality, but just give me some examples).
If you're going to have a number of shirts made anyway, and since you have the time, I'd suggest you pick two or three tailors from the list, and order a shirt from each. You'll see if if you like the way they work, if you like the service. Take your time to look at their selection of fabric, ask to see work on suits they have already made, see what feels right to you. Don't be afraid to walk out if you don't like what you find. I'd make it clear that I was shopping around for somewhere to place a bigger order - but don't get bullied into buying until you're ready.

Price range is huge, incidentally, and higher prices do not necessarily mean better workmanship or even better fabric. You can easily find cheapo places that charge 400-500B/shirt, about as easily as you can find shirts for 2000B or more. An average price would probably be around the 1000B mark.

Good luck! And let us know where you decide to go.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:55 am

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
I have a question: nearly all the posts here are about suits and shirts, but does anybody have any experience having well-cut jeans made in this town?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by vincentinparis
I have a question: nearly all the posts here are about suits and shirts, but does anybody have any experience having well-cut jeans made in this town?
I would want to know this also! Great question!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by vincentinparis
If you're going to have a number of shirts made anyway, and since you have the time, I'd suggest you pick two or three tailors from the list, and order a shirt from each. You'll see if if you like the way they work, if you like the service. Take your time to look at their selection of fabric, ask to see work on suits they have already made, see what feels right to you. Don't be afraid to walk out if you don't like what you find. I'd make it clear that I was shopping around for somewhere to place a bigger order - but don't get bullied into buying until you're ready.
What vincentinparis said - EXCELLENT advice, though ordering a single shirt may lose you whatever quantity discount you might otherwise get (you may be able to bargain harder to make up for that once you give the shop a bigger order). Can't overemphasize the need to look carefully at the fabrics offered. That's another point of great variation among shops and may also drive pricing differences.

I haven't been back to them in several years, but I remember the impression that Pinky had a better selection of higher-class fabrics than Rajawongse, though my husband's very happy with Rajawongse for his suits, shirts and a cashmere overcoat. Unfortunately, our Tgiving trip to see family in BKK will probably get canceled , or I'd be offering an updated report in a few weeks.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
After reading a bit here, it seems like a lot of people recommend Alex, Pinky and Raja, but I really have no idea.
If you're referring to Tailor on Ten when you say "Alex" then that's the best of the lot in this price range. You should find much better quality imported fabrics than most of the "tourist tailors" along with more skilled tailoring and superior fit (the most important factor of all). There's really no point spending less than you would for something off-the-rack if you're going to end up with inferior quality.

Prices for shirts are all over the board depending on the fabric quality and types of details you desire. They can certainly be had for about THB 1,000 apiece, but if you're looking for good quality fabric, removable stays, french cuffs, and properly cut to your shape, you should expect to pay something in the THB 2,500 range. Be sure to ask for preshrunk cotton, particularly if your shirts will be professionally laundered.

Can't emphasize enough the need to pay very close attention to the fit. We've had absolutely horrible experiences---huge in the shoulder, absurd amounts of padding, pants far too short, legs so narrow they cling to the calves, non-existent drop---all met by arguments from tailors that we're wrong. We see so many men walking around the city in the most ill-fitting "custom" suits...

Also, we have firsthand experience with attempts to mislead on fabric quality (blends being touted as wool), synthetic linings instead of Bemberg, etc., and even had one attempt to deliver trousers in a different fabric than ordered. Pay close attention that you get what you ask for.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:30 am

Okey, I will go around to some different places next week and see what I find.

About the "Tailor on ten" place, it seems for me that they operate with fixed prices ( http://www.tailoronten.com/pages/prices ), does this means its impossible to bargin there, even tho I place a large order?

And about the quality, after looking at the price range for a 3 piece suit I saw that the super 100s is in my range, but as I got a have a lot of money spare, what extra would I gain by taking a 120s, and is the difference noticeable for other than the wearer?

And has anyone tried the difference between the premium cotton shirt and the luxury shirt, and got any feedback on them?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:45 am

About the "Tailor on ten" place, it seems for me that they operate with fixed prices ( http://www.tailoronten.com/pages/prices ), does this means its impossible to bargin there, even tho I place a large order?

And about the quality, after looking at the price range for a 3 piece suit I saw that the super 100s is in my range, but as I got a have a lot of money spare, what extra would I gain by taking a 120s, and is the difference noticeable for other than the wearer?

And has anyone tried the difference between the premium cotton shirt and the luxury shirt, and got any feedback on them?
Check Milan Suit also near the Asoke BTS-station. It has green signs on the front. Good experience.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

I recently had a pretty large amount of stuff done and Iīd say thereīs not much if any room for negotiation with regards to price, however prices are pretty competitive based on what Iīve seen elsewhere.

Regarding shirts: You can definitely notice a difference between the
premium cotton shirts and the luxury shirts. The premium shirts are good quality 100% cotton shirts, the luxury shirts (at least the ones I got) have a very different feel, much softer, a bit like silk... I would have a look at the different fabrics, patterns etc. I ended up with a combination of premium and luxury shirts.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
I'm heading to Bangkok for 4 days in January. Looking at Tailor on Ten, really positive reviews. I'd like to get 1-2 suits and 3-4 shirts. I've got some questions for those FTers experienced with bespoke clothing (or is this stuff really MTM?):
  • Is it possible to get enough fittings in within 4 days to leave with my clothes on the 4th day? I saw that they need 10 days for floating canvas - does that mean they need 10 days to make it, or do I need to be there throughout for fittings?
  • Can I get them to ship to me?
  • Is it advisable to call/email ahead with such a tight timeframe?
  • I know that some of the traveling tailors keep your measurements on file. Anyone know if Tailor on Ten does this? Is it even advisable to order MTM clothing this way?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
I'm heading to Bangkok for 4 days in January. Looking at Tailor on Ten, really positive reviews. I'd like to get 1-2 suits and 3-4 shirts. I've got some questions for those FTers experienced with bespoke clothing (or is this stuff really MTM?):

Thanks in advance!
    1) Doable: probably yes (didnīt have more time myself), but it may a little rushed. When I was there it surely helped that I was very flexible (e.g. two fittings per day, drop by and wait until the stuff arrived)
    2) Yes, though shipping out of Thailand isnīt cheap and youīd have to deal with possible customs/duty issues.
    3) Always a good idea. Thatīs what I did and I had my first appointment set up 2h after my arrival in BKK.
    4) Yes, they keep your measurements on file, if it all Iīd only do online follow-up orders for my business shirts, definitely not any suits.
    Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
    Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
    I've got some questions for those FTers experienced with bespoke clothing (or is this stuff really MTM?)
    MTM, technically speaking.
    Is it possible to get enough fittings in within 4 days to leave with my clothes on the 4th day?
    Best to contact the tailor directly for this information; it varies from shop to shop and can be affected by time of year, etc.
    Can I get them to ship to me?
    Yes, most tailor shops will ship abroad.
    Is it advisable to call/email ahead with such a tight timeframe?
    Definitely.
    Is it even advisable to order MTM clothing [from abroad, based on measurements already on file]?
    Lots of people do this, but the ones who have the most success seem to have very little change in weight and build, and almost always have a good tailor at home to tweak the final fit. That said, we've heard of more difficulties than successes with this approach.

FWIW, husband paid a visit to ToT recently to see whether to give them a try, and while the guys are clearly knowledgable and responsive, with far better textiles than most Suk tailors, as well as what seems to be a much more professional operation, ultimately decided to stick with Tramp's and July Tailor as proven products.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 14, 2013 at 8:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.