Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I saw this too earlier today, but it looked more like building work and a hoarding, opposed to barriers.

M
They have been removed now. Not sure why they were there, a cursory glance revealed nothing new.

As an aside, on a few occasions lately I've seen the security at the turnstiles actually helping passengers back through and taking their trolley aside once they've made it (since the barrier seems almost more for trolleys anyway).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Powers106
They have been removed now. Not sure why they were there, a cursory glance revealed nothing new.

As an aside, on a few occasions lately I've seen the security at the turnstiles actually helping passengers back through and taking their trolley aside once they've made it (since the barrier seems almost more for trolleys anyway).
They were there while some repairs were made to the pillars supporting the cover over the pavement.

The hoarding had come down 2 weeks ago when I flew out of BKK.

M
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:15 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Question regarding fares to/from the airport. More of a clarification, really.

I often see here and other places online people estimating the fare of 350-450 Baht. But, isn't the real fare closer to 220 B?

I don't often take taxis anymore. But my last one was 300 to BKK and that included over an hour in Sukhumvit traffic.

Yes, there's a 50 Baht surcharge leaving from the airport. And some hours of the day the tollway is needed (certainly not at midnight, though). But, unless you're stuck in traffic for 90 minutes, aren't these quotes very high?
It really depends on so many factors. I've paid almost 500THB once, though it was a van so they usually are higher, but I thought the meter was a bit "fast."

Last night, I had the best deal: meter showed 151THB to my apartment, Suk 77 near On Nut, plus the 50THB of course. It was after midnight and it was a van (since we brought back a lot of stuff from the US,) which is usually more, but he took the surface streets-no traffic nor traffic lights, well that he obeyed.

I usually pay around 300THB to On Nut-Suk 77 area.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I love when the driver overcharges and then still expects a tip.

Went from the airport to my hotel (Hilton Sukhumvit) the other day, with a metered fare around 220 THB (so 270 total with the airport 50 surcharge).

Went back to the airport, and the driver didn't meter. Got there, and he said, "700 baht." LOL. I said, "No way," and he said, "But took the highway!" As if the tolls were 450 THB.

I ended up paying, and he said, "Tip?"

I laughed and said, "You already got it."
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by exerda
I love when the driver overcharges and then still expects a tip.

Went from the airport to my hotel (Hilton Sukhumvit) the other day, with a metered fare around 220 THB (so 270 total with the airport 50 surcharge).

Went back to the airport, and the driver didn't meter. Got there, and he said, "700 baht." LOL. I said, "No way," and he said, "But took the highway!" As if the tolls were 450 THB.

I ended up paying, and he said, "Tip?"

I laughed and said, "You already got it."
You already consented to an absurd request, why wouldn't he ask for more?

Putting aside the failure to get the meter sorted prior to departure, why would you consent to such an outrageous sum?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You already consented to an absurd request, why wouldn't he ask for more?

Putting aside the failure to get the meter sorted prior to departure, why would you consent to such an outrageous sum?
He didn't have a visible meter in the taxi, FWIW. That said, I had argued with him at the airport drop off a bit over the price, but in all honesty, I'm not going to cause a confrontation over a handful of USD, not as a westerner visiting the country and who speaks no Thai at all.

Yes, it was a rip-off. But in the grand scheme of things, not one I'm willing to really cause a scene over. And I used a lot of taxis this trip (back and forth from the airport three times, plus some travel in the city when BTS would have been a pain), with only this one a bad apple at least.

That said, the taxi drivers were by and large horrid at finding places, even given the addresses in Thai writing, this trip, which was a new one for me. I had one who went down the wrong soi (went to the DoubleTree rather than the Hilton), and two others who claimed the sois "must have been renumbered" and who were just as confused as that driver, saying the Hilton was now on Soi 26 and not Soi 24. None of them seemed to be scamming for extra meter time (if so, it was by a few baht) and followed what Google Maps showed was the best route... just couldn't seem to locate things until right on top of them.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Flew into DMK yesterday; it's like a totally new airport. Clean, bright, modern. Got the A1 bus (it's air conditioned) right outside baggage claim. Goes to Mo Chit (BTS)/Chatuchak (MRT) and leaves every five minutes. 30 baht on the bus, then 35 on the MRT to SGS. Easy peazy.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have they changed the A1 (DMK-Mor Chit - Bus station) bus schedule? It used to depart every 12 minutes.

I came back (in a taxi) from a nearby location recently (Immigration, Chaeng Watthana) ~ 10:30 AM and the traffic was horrible. Maybe 90 minutes to get to Mor Chit BTS. With the closure of that flyover things have gotten quite bad in that area. Maybe better to head west on Chaeng Watthana at Laksi and get over to the Sirat Expressway?
Attached Images  
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Have they changed the A1 (DMK-Mor Chit - Bus station) bus schedule? It used to depart every 12 minutes.
Yes, every 5 now.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
He didn't have a visible meter in the taxi,
I've noticed an increase in the number of taxi drivers who keep a towel over their meters. If you don't see a meter, ask. Do not leave your location without the meter on. The cab driver is never offering a flat rate because it benefits the passenger.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He didn't have a visible meter in the taxi, FWIW. That said, I had argued with him at the airport drop off a bit over the price, but in all honesty, I'm not going to cause a confrontation over a handful of USD, not as a westerner visiting the country and who speaks no Thai at all.

Yes, it was a rip-off. But in the grand scheme of things, not one I'm willing to really cause a scene over. And I used a lot of taxis this trip (back and forth from the airport three times, plus some travel in the city when BTS would have been a pain), with only this one a bad apple at least.

That said, the taxi drivers were by and large horrid at finding places, even given the addresses in Thai writing, this trip, which was a new one for me. I had one who went down the wrong soi (went to the DoubleTree rather than the Hilton), and two others who claimed the sois "must have been renumbered" and who were just as confused as that driver, saying the Hilton was now on Soi 26 and not Soi 24. None of them seemed to be scamming for extra meter time (if so, it was by a few baht) and followed what Google Maps showed was the best route... just couldn't seem to locate things until right on top of them.
I've never paid a taxi at, or from, the airport before me, bags and passengers are outside of the car. That at least gives you more power.

I've been in a couple of situations where I've paid the driver less than the meter read (think scalding hot) or less than demanded. The offer of calling, and waiting for the police, never seem to be one they'll accept.

I expect there will be some who claim you should always pay up because of risk of violence, but those incidents are so few as to be not even a concern, especially in a populated place like the airport dropoff area.

Anyway, such is life in the big city.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I've noticed an increase in the number of taxi drivers who keep a towel over their meters. If you don't see a meter, ask. Do not leave your location without the meter on. The cab driver is never offering a flat rate because it benefits the passenger.
This has been going of forever. That and a host of amulets and medallions dangling from the rear view mirror that would put Mr T to shame, draped right in front of the meter making it nigh impossible to get a read.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given you were at the airport, that's actually one of the few locations where a confrontation with a cab drive is likely to be resolved in your favor especially with such an outrageously high fare.

I would have gotten out with my baggage, handed the driver 300bht, and just started walking away.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every driver here: car, taxi, truck, bus, whatever has at least a machete...and no shyness (cameras everywhere) about using them, even over 100 baht.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...taxi-fare.html

Old Dec 18, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More info on DMK which might be interesting. Link to Bangkok Post article.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.