Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Taxis are dead for me since the launch of Uber and UberX in Bangkok.

FROM the airport it's not always easy to arrange an Uber so I use AOT limo. Yes it's 800-1200 to the city vs. 250 in a taxi but I can pay with a credit card, the driver doesn't want to take me tailoring or gem shopping or show me laminated cards with ladies and I arrive relaxed and happy vs. with one foot in hospital and the other foot in jail.

Strong statement ? Well after half a decade in Bangkok I have come across hundreds of taxi drivers and I can count the mentally sound, honest, capable ones on one hand.

Every time friends come visit me they inevitably get ripped off or scammed by a Bangkok taxi. No trip has not been blemished by one of these experiences. Seeing the Bangkok taxis campaign against Uber and demand more money is ridiculous. Want more money ? Start working, quit scamming.

There was a funny piece of satire on this issue in the Bangkok post recently.
In my 20 or so taxi rides from both airports (all from the taxi queue), I have never once had a problem of any kind. They have turned on the meter every time. No hot meters. Always ask me if I want the tollway or not. They take me straight to where I'm going. Cars have all been acceptable. A few have driven a bit fast, but not enough to worry me. As of now I have no reason whatsoever to pay more to use anything else.

I can't say the same for taxis in the city, yet still overall not that bad. The refusal to use the meter is by far the biggest issue, and has gotten much worse in the past two years IME.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
In my 20 or so taxi rides from both airports (all from the taxi queue), I have never once had a problem of any kind. They have turned on the meter every time. No hot meters. Always ask me if I want the tollway or not. They take me straight to where I'm going. Cars have all been acceptable. A few have driven a bit fast, but not enough to worry me. As of now I have no reason whatsoever to pay more to use anything else.

I can't say the same for taxis in the city, yet still overall not that bad. The refusal to use the meter is by far the biggest issue, and has gotten much worse in the past two years IME.
I think the situation has markedly worsened since the first of the year, if the thousands of complaints on Thai social media over this brief period of time are any indication? Even the Junta supremo commented on it during his most recent weekly TV address. Complaints on foreign social media have also spiked over this same period, so the situation does seem to be getting a bit worse, rather than the typical, cyclical problems? Given the agitation for increased fees, be it for bags, foreigners, vehicles of a certain size, of late, it almost seems as if it was a concerted effort?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...gotiated-fares
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by transpac
I think the situation has markedly worsened since the first of the year, if the thousands of complaints on Thai social media over this brief period of time are any indication? Even the Junta supremo commented on it during his most recent weekly TV address. Complaints on foreign social media have also spiked over this same period, so the situation does seem to be getting a bit worse, rather than the typical, cyclical problems? Given the agitation for increased fees, be it for bags, foreigners, vehicles of a certain size, of late, it almost seems as if it was a concerted effort?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...gotiated-fares
Yes I know the problems have increased recently, but our taxis from BKK on Dec. 7 and Jan. 9 were flawless. Anecdotal I know.

I'm surprised they haven't striked. If even half of them did, it would effectively shut down the airports, and most of the city. It would be much more beneficial to their cause than the disgruntled random gouging that they are doing now. [disclaimer] I think taxis are too cheap in Bangkok, and beer is too expensive.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
And it must be true because it's on the Internet.

The last place I look for info on Thailand is the social media. 95% of people never post to it and most of those who do seem to be people who have an axe to grind of some sort. Look at FlyerTalk. Go to the United Air forum and you see that 9 out of 10 posters are telling the world that UA is corrupt, ripping people off, and they're going to fly only Delta because everyone know Delta is Nirvana. Then go over to the Delta forum. Apparently it's actually Delta that is corrupt, ripping people off, and everyone is going to fly only American because everyone know American is Nirvana. Now head for the American forum.

Somebody has a bad incident with a taxi in Bangkok. Refuses to turn on the meter, for example. Guy posts it on social media. Followed immediately by the Toppers who want to tell you how their experience was even worse. By the time the thread dies out you would believe that the highway from Suvarnabhumi to Rajprasong is littered with the bodies of tourists.

Having said that, it would be logical that there would be some friction at the airport because the taxi fares were just raised for *some* taxis (they have to be re-inspected; so far in the past 2 weeks about 1/3 of the taxis I've taken still use the old rate) and none of the drivers are seeing the new-found wealth they thought they would get from the fare hike.

Last edited by Tchiowa; Jan 27, 2015 at 1:06 am
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Let the fun begin.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...hreaten-strike

"Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong said the surcharge increase for big taxis and suitcase-handling fees sounded reasonable and that the matter would be concluded by Jan 29. "

Two days to assess the ramifications? Yeah, that's about the local style.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
There was a funny piece of satire on this issue in the Bangkok post recently.
Thanks for posting this… seriously one of the funnier things I've read in a long time. A few gems:
In Thailand, registered taxi drivers lend their cars out to relatives to drive. The name on that dashboard card may read SOMCHAI JAIDEE, but the person behind the wheel could well be Somchai's wife's younger brother's best friend's next-door-neighbour, fresh off the bus from Mor Chit, having just completed the rice harvest on the Surin farm and looking for part-time work.
How dare Uber think it can just come into Thailand and charge a price way above what the meter says! That's like westerners teaching muay Thai to the locals! In Thailand, only Thai taxi drivers are allowed to do this.
The last time a legally-registered Phuket taxi driver turned on his meter was back in 2006, and that was only because the passenger was a cop.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Cabbie in flagfall row to front officials

A taxi driver who cheated a passenger by pretending a high meter charge was an official rate has been ordered to meet the Land Transport Department on Thursday.

Seems a Japanese tourist captured a scam on video and uploaded to YouTube so this Somchai Jaidee will have to pay a fine.

More details on this incident here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...rt-taxi-centre

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:21 am Reason: Added second link
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Cabbie in flagfall row to front officials

A taxi driver who cheated a passenger by pretending a high meter charge was an official rate has been ordered to meet the Land Transport Department on Thursday.

Seems a Japanese tourist captured a scam on video and uploaded to YouTube so this Somchai Jaidee will have to pay a fine.

More details on this incident here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...rt-taxi-centre
I saw the whole clip on Channel 3 news this morning. They were talking about it for at least 20 minutes, and going back and replaying parts. This driver hit the mainstream Thai media head on.

I heard a comment that they intend to pull his taxi license for life
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Bangkok taxis demand second round of fare increase

"Bangkok taxi operators are preparing to demand another round of fare increase, citing the latest increase of NGV by 50 satang per kilo last week, making a combined increase of 1.50 baht in total. Increase of NGV twice is a cost burden for them, they said.

President of Bangkok Taxi Cooperative Network Mr Witoon Naewpanich revealed that he has discussed another round of taxi fare hike with the director of Land Transportation, after the first 8% rise of taxi fare on December 12 last year already took place.

He said although the fare has been raised by 8 percent the last time, but earning by taxi drivers stayed at 100-120 on average daily while the price of NGV has increased twice, to about 1.50 baht higher."

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ban...-fare-increase
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"...citing the latest increase of NGV by 50 satang per kilo last week..."

Prajin: CNG price rise on hold
Published: 5 Feb 2015

Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said the Energy Ministry would probably postpone a planned increase in the price of compressed natural gas (CNG) for vehicles until measures are in place to cushion the impact on the transport sector.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...e-rise-on-hold

It's hard to keep up with all the developments but I think this increase in NGV has been postponed. That's not to say that airport taxi drivers won't continue to agitate for increases in the airport fee, increases in the meter rates, bag charges, additional charges for larger vehicles, et al.

The scam of pawning off larger vehicles on any passenger, and then demanding 700 - 1,000 baht seem to be increasing, again based on internet chatter.

AFAIK, the recently approved taxi fare increase has not yet been fully implemented across all vehicles, so maybe a bit too soon to be considering another increase in the meter rate? Thai's are getting clobbered with all sorts of inflation so I'd expect them to be using taxis a bit less, which will likely lead to ever increasing demands on foreign visitors. Maybe they should just implement the 10x national parks pricing scheme for foreigners using taxis?

National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

BANGKOK: -- Park officials moved Sunday to insure foreign guests fairly and consistently pay 10 times the amount of Thai nationals to enter the kingdom’s national parks.

The entrance fee to the Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park in Phitsanulok province will increase the cost of entrance for foreigners from THB200 to THB400, according to a spokesman.

The increase there and at other parks was made in response to an announcement from the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department that admission fees for foreigners should be made consistent throughout the country as of Sunday

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/...igners-tenfold
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure what this means, in the real world, but...problem solved, again.

One license suspension, problem solved.

How do you know the Thai taxi driver is ripping you off? His lips are moving.

Thainess.

DLT solves taxi issue with strict measures

ANGKOK, 7 February 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Land Transport (DLT) will be enforcing strict measures to control the services of passenger vans and taxis with the highest penalty of license revoking, said Director-General.

The DLT Director-General Theerapong Rodprosert revealed that the department is now enforcing stricter punishment on service taxis and passenger vans for any violation of the law and regulations. Penalties will include suspension or revoking the driver’s license.

Since 1 April 2014 until 6 February, there has been seventy five licenses cases of license suspension and one case of the license being revoked. There were nine suspension cases in January 2015 alone.

The most common cases are, according to the DLT Director-General, not accepting passengers, not delivering the passenger at the designated destination, not calculating the fare regarding to the meter, and using vans that are not properly registered.

The DLT Director-General has said that the DLT has collected data on behavioral record of drivers and offenses committed, which could be used to detect repeated offenses by any drivers.

He has said the DLT will immediately revoke the driver’s license and impose the highest rate of fine to the driver in cases of repeated offenses. There will be no exceptions on this case in order to raise the service standard of public vans and taxis.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...O5802070010012
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A taxing time Bangkok commuters are from all walks of lives, but many of them share one problem — bad taxi service

Published: 3 Feb 2015

Taxis have been in the headlines a lot lately, and most of the stories are not good news. From time to time, there are honest drivers who return valuable belongings and cash to forgetful passengers, but...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle.../a-taxing-time
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:43 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/02/1...i-taxi-service

Looks like NCA wants to revolutionize the taxi industry in Bangkok.
They've done a great job with their competitive inter-provincial bus system.
^^
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Looks great... I know they have to start somewhere, but 500 out of 150k taxi's is not much.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like NCA wants to revolutionize the taxi industry in Bangkok.

Assume they'll have meters? Pretty much copying GrabTaxi, but since this is a Thai effort it will be allowed. (GrabTaxi was founded in Malaysia.)

That said, any improvements, and additional services will always be welcomed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.