FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1556409-grab-car-service-now-bangkok-uber-sold-grab-se-asia.html)

forumpersona999 Jul 7, 2015 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by expatbkk (Post 25085220)
Overall, I am really happy with Uber in Bangkok and use it daily. I particularly like the fact that the driver can't refuse to take you where you want to go and there is never any price 'discussion' of the 'oh, very traffic, 300baht' variety.

Many of the drivers in my area are new and have been working only a couple of weeks, so they are still learning the ropes. The Uber map app has provided some pretty strange routings, but when I am familiar with where I am headed, I just tell the driver where to go and they are happy to follow my route suggestions. I live a bit out of the center, in Ekkamai, so sometimes there is a wait, but usually not more than 15-20 minutes. Because of that uncertainty, I don't use it for airport runs and book a car service in advance.

All in all, I'll take Uber over local taxis any day, even with their annoying 'Surge Pricing', just because I am tired of negotiating with shakedown artists who see a foreigner and think their day is about to be made. It's completely tiresome.

+1. This reflects my experience word for word ^

Haven't used taxis for trips starting anywhere near downtown since Uber has launched. Sometimes I am out far in the suburbs and there's no Uber nearby I will get in a taxi and pay metered fare but that's been 2 trips in the past year vs. 50+ UberX and UberBlack rides.

Life is much better now. ^

dtsm Jul 8, 2015 7:33 am

What is the range of fare charged from airport to wireless rd?

I know the meter taxi is less than B400 and 1100 for AOT. Thought of giving Uber a try since have been happy with them in other countries.

And I'm arriving around 11:30 pm later this month.

FlyerTalker683455 Jul 8, 2015 8:47 am

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 25086583)

I know the meter taxi is less than B400 and 1100 for AOT. Thought of giving Uber a try since have been happy with them in other countries.

Go to your uber app. Get a fare quote. Then you know exactly.

forumpersona999 Jul 8, 2015 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 25086583)

Airport Trips are flat rate in Bangkok. 500 Baht for UberX, 1000 Baht for UberBlack

dtsm Jul 8, 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by forumpersona999 (Post 25089650)
Airport Trips are flat rate in Bangkok. 500 Baht for UberX, 1000 Baht for UberBlack

Thanks, very helpful. The fare estimator indicated 525 but the flat rate is much better, especially during rush hour.

transpac Jul 8, 2015 7:57 pm

I know the meter taxi is less than B400 and 1100 for AOT.

I used the AoT car service from SBIA/BKK to lower Sukhumvit last night. It was 1,050 (large-ish 4x4, maybe an Izuzu MU 7?) all in (no 50 baht airport fee, tolls, tips) - I think that is the least expensive AoT option? They use Fast-Lane, speak English, drive safely, depart from level 2. Very easy, safe, fast. No more sh*t-box-shakedown-taxi queue.

I booked/paid in the baggage claim area, no line. There was a line at the counters outside Customs/in the arrivals hall.

I think a taxi might be closer to 450 all in (fare, fee, tolls) to Witthayu, assuming they use the meter.

mrgreen Jul 10, 2015 12:15 am

Originally Posted by expatbkk (Post 25085220)
Overall, I am really happy with Uber in Bangkok and use it daily. I particularly like the fact that the driver can't refuse to take you where you want to go and there is never any price 'discussion' of the 'oh, very traffic, 300baht' variety.

All in all, I'll take Uber over local taxis any day, even with their annoying 'Surge Pricing', just because I am tired of negotiating with shakedown artists who see a foreigner and think their day is about to be made. It's completely tiresome.

In certain situations I think it's way more convenient to get a taxi and avoid any haggling/negotiation by saying 'meter' and insisting. if driver does not agree within 10 seconds, get out of the vehicle immediately and approach a taxi right behind the one you just left.

the next driver realizes really quick that you are familiar with the game they are playing and in 90% of times they will agree on meter.

if done efficiently, it takes 15sec instead of waiting 10min for uber

transpac Jul 10, 2015 1:16 am

In certain situations I think it's way more convenient to get a taxi and avoid any haggling/negotiation by saying 'meter' and insisting.

Yes, this is the standard practice here, when dealing with passing taxis on the street. However, if you are remote (dead-end sub-soi, housing estate, etc.) with no passing taxis and/or it is raining heavily, services like GrabTaxi, EasyTaxi, AllThaiTaxi, UBER can be indispensable.

I continue to use GrabTaxi in these situations.

dtsm Jul 10, 2015 7:41 am

Originally Posted by transpac (Post 25095922)
[I]
I continue to use GrabTaxi in these situations.

One writer's perspective on Uber and GrabTaxi here:
http://gregtodiffer.com/bring-car-ar...btaxi-bangkok/

seanthepilot Jul 17, 2015 10:24 am

Good article on how it is destroying a diseased system.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle25515301/

dtsm Jul 22, 2015 3:50 am

Has it been made illegal recently? My country manager tells me yes, just this past weekend?

dsquared37 Jul 22, 2015 4:57 am

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 25154259)
Has it been made illegal recently? My country manager tells me yes, just this past weekend?

I never heard it had made legal.

But I've used it several times this past week and it was great.

transpac Jul 23, 2015 2:13 am

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 25154259)

"Legal", "illegal", what do these really mean in Thailand? Depends on who benefits. And who can keep track of which "entities" really have final say?

That said, to the best of my knowledge the DLT declared Uber "illegal" in November/December, 2014. But not sure what that really means?

Renegade Uber ready for rules

Mr Park wasn't around in November when the Department of Land Transport (DLT) declared Uber illegal in Thailand.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...eady-for-rules

Uber's privately owned vehicles banned

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/tran...ed-in-thailand

forumpersona999 Jul 23, 2015 6:34 am

To avoid confusion one must distinguish between UberBlack and Uber's various other flavors of product such as UberX and UberPOP (the latter is not applicable in Thailand).

UberBlack is basically licensed limos who moonlight or have set up specifically for Uber. They are usually not effected. They are licensed and insured and hold the correct paperwork.

UberX is your neighbor's sister leasing a Toyota Vios from the bank, creating an Uber account and starting to accept riders.

UberX is in a legal grey area almost every country I have been to and rightly so.

Having said that I am observing with a guarded admiration how Uber is forcing change by just going out there and starting stuff without any pre-existing legal framework for it and in most cases getting away with it because the consumer WANTS Uber.

Kind of like AirBNB.

UberX was declared unlawful in Manila and Bangkok. Yet they keep driving. UberBlack was criticized and scrutinized and is still tolerated.

The Filipinos are now creating a legal framework to make uber-style services legit owing to petitions from the populace and overwhelming support in the media.

gilbertaue Jul 23, 2015 8:40 pm

Where do you catch the uber from at DMK? Here too the arrivals pick-up area and just message the driver the door number?