FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1556409-grab-car-service-now-bangkok-uber-sold-grab-se-asia.html)

glennaa11 Nov 1, 2016 9:18 am

I've never understood how anyone can make a living driving a taxi in Bangkok since the rides are so cheap. That's why you have drivers doing shady things sometimes. They could increase the fares a bit and people would still use them and it would be better for the drivers. But I guess it must be worthwhile or the drivers would find something else to do.

transpac Nov 1, 2016 7:44 pm

Uber extends service to Chiang Mai

US-based ride-hailing service Uber has announced it will expand its service to Chiang Mai, despite the service being deemed illegal under Thai law.

Uber on Monday began piloting an expansion of its mobile application-based taxi hailing service in Chiang Mai hoping to attract more passengers to the service, said a source.

Along with the announcement about providing their service in Chiang Mai, Uber is also offering a special promotion in which a passenger is promised a 75 baht credit on rides if he or she recommends the service to a friend, said the source.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...-to-chiang-mai

bwiadca Nov 2, 2016 7:45 am

I didn't read this post earlier. I see a lot of people b...ing about Uber in BKK.
What's the problem with Uber?
I've paid 299 Bahts from BKK to Hilton Millennium, including the tolls. The ride was in a clean, comfortable car, with bottles of water. The driver didn't talk on the phone nor did he play games on his tablet. I was able to select arrival level and door number, and thats where he met me.

On the other hand I took meter taxi from BKK to the same hotel few months earlier. I don't have to describe the car and the driver's behavior. You all know that every single taxi driver in BKK HAVE TO talk on the phone right after they start picking up passengers. The ride was 600 Bahts + tolls.

I don't understand why people are saying "I'm willing to pay more to take taxi..."
This is oxymoron like saying "I'm going to pay more to eat at McDonalds..."

I think it's a joke, or they never took Uber in BKK.

TravelinSperry Nov 3, 2016 1:17 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 27425875)
I didn't read this post earlier. I see a lot of people b...ing about Uber in BKK.
What's the problem with Uber?
I've paid 299 Bahts from BKK to Hilton Millennium, including the tolls. The ride was in a clean, comfortable car, with bottles of water. The driver didn't talk on the phone nor did he play games on his tablet. I was able to select arrival level and door number, and thats where he met me.

On the other hand I took meter taxi from BKK to the same hotel few months earlier. I don't have to describe the car and the driver's behavior. You all know that every single taxi driver in BKK HAVE TO talk on the phone right after they start picking up passengers. The ride was 600 Bahts + tolls.

I don't understand why people are saying "I'm willing to pay more to take taxi..."
This is oxymoron like saying "I'm going to pay more to eat at McDonalds..."

I think it's a joke, or they never took Uber in BKK.

First of all if you read the thread you would see that the issue isn't with Uber quality but with time to find/coordinate with Uber driver at BKK.

Second of all if you paid 600THB from BKK to the city hotel you got ripped off. It's never more than 400 thb. And no one said taxi was cheaper - it is just easier at BKK (and many airports for that matter). the point is for a few dollars more is it worth the hassle of dealing with Uber at BKK when a pickup spot cannot easily be found/identified?

Personally I love Uber and take them all over the world. I just see no point in waiting/searching at BKK when for $2 more I can walk straight into a taxi and be on my way. Oh and in dozens of BKK rides I've never had my taxi driver get on his phone :rolleyes:

dsquared37 Nov 3, 2016 3:37 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 27429984)
First of all if you read the thread you would see that the issue isn't with Uber quality but with time to find/coordinate with Uber driver at BKK.

Second of all if you paid 600THB from BKK to the city hotel you got ripped off. It's never more than 400 thb. And no one said taxi was cheaper - it is just easier at BKK (and many airports for that matter). the point is for a few dollars more is it worth the hassle of dealing with Uber at BKK when a pickup spot cannot easily be found/identified?

Personally I love Uber and take them all over the world. I just see no point in waiting/searching at BKK when for $2 more I can walk straight into a taxi and be on my way. Oh and in dozens of BKK rides I've never had my taxi driver get on his phone :rolleyes:

You've never had a BKK hack use the phone while you were in the car? Seriously? That would explain why your experiences differ remarkably from mine.

In around 10 Uber trips from BKK I've had one missed communication where I ultimately took a taxi. However with a taxi the condition of the car, condition of the driver and reliability of the driver are always in question.

You don't think Uber is worthwhile from the airport fine, not sure why those who disagree with you are the target of vitriol.

Taxis might be easier to get than Uber - MIGHT - but I've never had a rigged meter, shyster, sleepy driver, speed demon, ripped seats, ramshackle car body or myriad other downsides to taxis when riding with Uber.

You gotta do what works for you.

/shrug

TravelinSperry Nov 3, 2016 5:59 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 27430243)
You've never had a BKK hack use the phone while you were in the car? Seriously? That would explain why your experiences differ remarkably from mine.

In around 10 Uber trips from BKK I've had one missed communication where I ultimately took a taxi. However with a taxi the condition of the car, condition of the driver and reliability of the driver are always in question.

You don't think Uber is worthwhile from the airport fine, not sure why those who disagree with you are the target of vitriol.

Taxis might be easier to get than Uber - MIGHT - but I've never had a rigged meter, shyster, sleepy driver, speed demon, ripped seats, ramshackle car body or myriad other downsides to taxis when riding with Uber.

You gotta do what works for you.

/shrug

vit·ri·ol
ˈvitrēəl,ˈvitrēˌôl
noun
1. cruel and bitter criticism.

Really? :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, I have never had anyone chat on their phone. Usually I try to chat with them to pass the time. But oftentimes the language barrier proves too difficult. However they all do play the Thai radio sometimes, talk radio and that proves annoying. I'm totally with you in agreeing that Uber cars and drivers are a better class. No doubt. I'm just saying that it requires a wait and sometimes requires difficulty finding them. I generally put up with that at many airports because the prices are significantly different. But in Thailand the difference in price is a few bucks so to me it isn't worth it. FT is about sharing your experiences so those who are seeking information can decide for themselves which to choose. This does not mean that me placing my opinion here is "cruel and bitter criticism" of your opinion. Quite the contrary, it is simply a difference in opinion.

IAN-UK Nov 3, 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 27425875)
......On the other hand I took meter taxi from BKK to the same hotel few months earlier. I don't have to describe the car and the driver's behavior. You all know that every single taxi driver in BKK HAVE TO talk on the phone right after they start picking up passengers. ...

Just to establish some perspective... my last week taxi driver was a delightful middle-aged lady who drove carefully: no sign of phone or tablet. She had a cold, wore a face mask but apologised every time she coughed.

OK, it's not always like that .... :D

PS Anyone with an idea of the proportion of lady drivers? I think it must be pretty low.

TravelinSperry Nov 3, 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 27432316)
Just to establish some perspective... my last week taxi driver was a delightful middle-aged lady who drove carefully: no sign of phone or tablet. She had a cold, wore a face mask but apologised every time she coughed.

PS Anyone with an idea of the proportion of lady drivers? I think it must be pretty low.

Now that is a first... I've never had a lady taxi driver in Bangkok (at least not one I can recall).

transpac Nov 3, 2016 7:19 pm

Hailing future of taxi service

The latest move by Uber, a smartphone-based taxi service, to expand its service to Chiang Mai, is a reminder to the Transport Ministry that it is time to clear up the legal concerns which affect operators of this increasingly popular ride-sharing business.

The Department of Land Transport's prompt response to Uber's planned expansion, vowing to conduct a sting operation to crack down on Uber drivers in the northern city, will be futile. It will certainly not benefit the public.

It is the right time for the department to end all the confusion surrounding the business.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/o...f-taxi-service

bwiadca Nov 4, 2016 8:38 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 27432316)

I'm not saying that ALL taxi drivers are bad. I would say majority.
In April I also had lady driver from BKK to Novotel Bangna. She didn't speak on the phone, nor she was rushing.
In the past I had few good drivers, but I would say 75% of the taxi drivers I had to deal with, were on the phone. One was playing some game when we were stuck on a highway.

During this trip, I only had one Uber driver that he couldn't find me. It was few minutes from DMK airport, in the suburbs. I gave up after 20 minutes and took regular taxi.

Uber is best if you are going to location that is not popular (like airports, train stations, famous landmarks etc.). You don't have to spend 15 minutes with the driver to explain where you want to go. Just select the location on the phone and you are good to go.

fqtv_kraven Nov 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Three weeks ago I took an Uber from the airport to the Millennium Hilton. In the end the driver charged THB1250 as he entered Pattaya as final destination. I complained but after two weeks I received a reply stating that the charge is correct as the fare from the airport to the city is 400THB (wth?). I replied immediately but no action so far.
I am thinking about chargeback. Any other advice?

Flyiboy Dec 3, 2016 8:24 am

Do you know where Uber Bangkok picks up at BKK? Is there a special area where they can be allowed ? I do take Uber in SIN and HKG and I know where they pick up but this will be the first time in BKK...
Thanks

SK AAR Dec 3, 2016 10:26 am

You will find info in this thread (this topic was discussed recently)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...ussion-60.html

The general consensus seems to be: Don't bother with Uber from BKK. Take a regular taxi. But read for yourself in the other thread.

Flyiboy Dec 3, 2016 11:20 am

Tack SK ARR

Diplomatico Dec 3, 2016 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flyiboy (Post 27560318)
Do you know where Uber Bangkok picks up at BKK? Is there a special area where they can be allowed ? I do take Uber in SIN and HKG and I know where they pick up but this will be the first time in BKK...
Thanks

I just used it two days ago. Prior to confirming pick-up, you have the option of choosing which door on the arrivals level (level 2) you want to meet the driver.

It's now a flat rate of 300 thb for UberX, 1000 thb for Uber Black, and 1000 thb for Uber SUV.

Worked very well for me.