Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
While the fare estimate does include the tolls, a current Uber scam in BKK, is for the driver to amend the fare a few months after the journey - by adding the tolls separately.

In the past month, I've had six separate drivers try the trick, and each time I email Uber Support to advise - a few hours later the charge is removed.

I can imagine a lot of people not bothering to respond to the emails, thinking perhaps the driver didnt charge the tolls in the first place.

M
Thanks for that! Now you've got me scanning my inbox for non-promotional Uber mails over the next months

I just advised a friend who zips in and out of BKK a couple of times a week. He's Uber's biggest fan (indeed, the one responsible for hooking me ..).

He's not experienced the trick. Perhaps you have a very trusting face
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:07 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Question regarding fares to/from the airport. More of a clarification, really.

I often see here and other places online people estimating the fare of 350-450 Baht. But, isn't the real fare closer to 220 B?

I don't often take taxis anymore. But my last one was 300 to BKK and that included over an hour in Sukhumvit traffic.

Yes, there's a 50 Baht surcharge leaving from the airport. And some hours of the day the tollway is needed (certainly not at midnight, though). But, unless you're stuck in traffic for 90 minutes, aren't these quotes very high?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are many, many, many taxi fare calculators, some web-based, some mobile based, all of which have been updated with the most recent fare increase. Many of these also have average wait-time ( less than 6 kph ) fare uplifts.

So it is is relatively easy to calculate the meter fare, then add on any extras like the airport surcharge (still 50 baht ) and tolls. I'd still stick to the tollways, at least until then end of rainy season. Many surface roads are still flooded this morning after severe thunderstorms overnight.

There are a gazillion sample fares in this thread, down to the satang and tenth of a Km. A typical average fare from SBIA/BKK to the Asoke area might be:

35 + 200 + 20 + 50 + 75

base + fare + wait + fee + tolls

base+fare+wait=meter
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I often see here and other places online people estimating the fare of 350-450 Baht. But, isn't the real fare closer to 220 B?
As you know, 2lovelife, I go to the Asoke intersection from the airport. IME it used to be around 220 on the meter at arrival; but wasn't there a fare increase implemented some months ago? I find it generally a bit more than that now.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Question regarding fares to/from the airport. More of a clarification, really.

I don't often take taxis anymore. But my last one was 300 to BKK and that included over an hour in Sukhumvit traffic.

Yes, there's a 50 Baht surcharge leaving from the airport. And some hours of the day the tollway is needed (certainly not at midnight, though). But, unless you're stuck in traffic for 90 minutes, aren't these quotes very high?
I posted a 400 Baht fare within a day or two of actually riding from the airport to the JW Marriott, so that was based on what the meter actually showed, the tolls (even at midnight I'm taking the expressway...it's worth the $2US to not enter and exit the highway, and I hate waiting at lights on the non-expressway route), the airport surcharge and a tip. The tip was probably about 50 Baht. I just roll up to the next hundred because I don't really want the coins.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Taking Uber from the airport(s) to any point in the city is anything between 250-400 BHT. (not counting the surcharge time). While taking Uber back to the airport from locations near the airport its a rip off.
I was 15 minutes outside DMK airport and requested Uber. The fare estimate was showing 350 BHT. The driver couldn't find us. He was trying to approach from the side where he could not cross because of the canal. I finally cancelled him and went to the main street to catch a taxi. The taxi fare was 120 BHT.

From BKK to Hilton Millennium I've paid 299 BHT. That was one hour long journey in a traffic.

Few days later I was staying at the hotel near BKK. I've checked Uber to see the estimate. It was showing 350-400 BHT from the hotel to BKK airport. Again, I didn't bother with Uber but took regular taxi which was under 100 BHT.

I don't know how it works, but seems that it doesn't matter if you are 5 minutes away from the airport or 1 hour away, Uber will always be around 300 BHT.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bwiadca

Few days later I was staying at the hotel near BKK. I've checked Uber to see the estimate. It was showing 350-400 BHT from the hotel to BKK airport. Again, I didn't bother with Uber but took regular taxi which was under 100 BHT.

I don't know how it works, but seems that it doesn't matter if you are 5 minutes away from the airport or 1 hour away, Uber will always be around 300 BHT.
I guess that's what they mean by a fixed rate...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bwiadca
Taking Uber from the airport(s) to any point in the city is anything between 250-400 BHT. (not counting the surcharge time). While taking Uber back to the airport from locations near the airport its a rip off.
I was 15 minutes outside DMK airport and requested Uber. The fare estimate was showing 350 BHT. The driver couldn't find us. He was trying to approach from the side where he could not cross because of the canal. I finally cancelled him and went to the main street to catch a taxi. The taxi fare was 120 BHT.

From BKK to Hilton Millennium I've paid 299 BHT. That was one hour long journey in a traffic.

Since the rate went south from 500 baht, I've never been billed anything other than 300 baht for Uber to or from BKK. That's pre tolls (when needed).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Since the rate went south from 500 baht, I've never been billed anything other than 300 baht for Uber to or from BKK. That's pre tolls (when needed).
Have you ever taken a Uber from HY Erawan ?

It's definitely 350+ tolls as of 10 days ago ~10am weekday.
A taxi from Erawan was 277 +tolls ~1pm on a weekday with average or little traffic.

Had to wait till I convinced the friendly bellman I did not want the taxi waiting in the driveway of the Hyatt ,not sure what they would have charged

Nearby close to MBK Uber prices out at 300 +tolls always.

I have to agree with Dr. HFH and Transpac regarding normal taxis what used to be ~210-220 is now 230-250.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Have you ever taken a Uber from HY Erawan ?

It's definitely 350+ tolls as of 10 days ago ~10am weekday.
A taxi from Erawan was 277 +tolls ~1pm on a weekday with average or little traffic.

Had to wait till I convinced the friendly bellman I did not want the taxi waiting in the driveway of the Hyatt ,not sure what they would have charged

Nearby close to MBK Uber prices out at 300 +tolls always.

I have to agree with Dr. HFH and Transpac regarding normal taxis what used to be ~210-220 is now 230-250.
Yes, I've taken Uber on a number of occasions from Grand Hyatt and it's been 300 + tolls (if needed) every single time.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I don't want to start multiple threads, but what are the current tolls between BKK and Sathorn area.

Also what are the motorway tolls from Sathorn area to DMK?

For the latter, I'm guessing about 250 on the meter?

I recall there being two tolls for each trip, but different tollways/motorways. I keep looking around with google but a lot of info seems to be outdated.

SDF
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The wiki at the top of this thread is up to date regarding tolls... 75 in total to Sathorn.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
New barricades to getting taxi on departure level :(

Just left BKK and there are what appear to be large wooden barriers being constructed btwn the inner and outer road. There are no turnstiles and I couldn't see if anyone was monitoring and prevented people from going out. If so this may make it impossible to avoid the downstairs que (altho I'd take the train before I'd use the que)
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:40 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by estnet
Just left BKK and there are what appear to be large wooden barriers being constructed btwn the inner and outer road. There are no turnstiles and I couldn't see if anyone was monitoring and prevented people from going out. If so this may make it impossible to avoid the downstairs que (altho I'd take the train before I'd use the que)
I saw this too earlier today, but it looked more like building work and a hoarding, opposed to barriers.

M
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27562269-post226.html

Link to post with comparison of Uber, Grab and taxis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.