Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Nice to know uber is trying out Bangkok. Would be a great relieve from overpriced hotel limos and pesky metered or non metered taxi service.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 7, 2014 at 12:29 pm Reason: remove referral code/link
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Once taxi drivers figure out what is going on I expect 'problems' to arise.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Uber only in limited rollout now. Use GrabTaxi if you want a metered cab.

BTW referral links is that way ---> FT Uber Conga
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Once taxi drivers figure out what is going on I expect 'problems' to arise.
I suspect that may be an understatement.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I suspect that may be an understatement.
The 'taxi-mafia will be pissed no doubt. IMO, Uber is too amorphous to protest or blockade. What are they going to do, smash the windshield of any car that stops on a soi or at a hotel to pick up a pedestrian ? 99% of these are going to be friends, drivers on the payroll, co-workers, & family.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Uber car service now in Bangkok

I use Uber all the time in Chicago, I can't imagine it's going to work here in Bangkok except for very specialized uses. Taxis are 4x cheaper and far more available vs Chicago.

Now put Uber in Phuket, that'll be a great success, if every one of the drivers is not killed by the taxi mafia there.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Checked uber wait times at various places today, between 5-10 min (except on Bang Krachao where it was 50, not bad!) The prices quoted seemed like metered pricing. That said I wasn't going to wait 10 min when there were plenty of metered cabs available. And when metered cabs are hard to get, Uber will start with that ridiculous surge pricing where they keep cars of the road so they can jack rates by 8x.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Informpage
Checked uber wait times at various places today, between 5-10 min (except on Bang Krachao where it was 50, not bad!) The prices quoted seemed like metered pricing. That said I wasn't going to wait 10 min when there were plenty of metered cabs available. And when metered cabs are hard to get, Uber will start with that ridiculous surge pricing where they keep cars of the road so they can jack rates by 8x.
In my building on Soi 20 sukh it can take 5-10 minutes for the security guard to get a taxi. Uber would be so convenient. I can monitor the arrival from my condo and just go downstairs when I need to.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
One (of several) caution with Uber. Uber is supposed to make sure that the drivers have insurance, but it doesn't require them to have commercial insurance. If the driver has regular insurance and gets in an accident and his insurance company discovers he was driving for Uber, they won't pay the claim. In a place like Bangkok, you (the passenger) could get nailed for the cost. Plus, if you get hurt, his insurance is unlikely to cover you.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
The 'taxi-mafia will be pissed no doubt. IMO, Uber is too amorphous to protest or blockade. What are they going to do, smash the windshield of any car that stops on a soi or at a hotel to pick up a pedestrian ? 99% of these are going to be friends, drivers on the payroll, co-workers, & family.
Many taxi and limo drivers have relationships with hotel staff. They'll notice and potential create a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
One (of several) caution with Uber. Uber is supposed to make sure that the drivers have insurance, but it doesn't require them to have commercial insurance. If the driver has regular insurance and gets in an accident and his insurance company discovers he was driving for Uber, they won't pay the claim. In a place like Bangkok, you (the passenger) could get nailed for the cost. Plus, if you get hurt, his insurance is unlikely to cover you.
LOL. Insurance in BKK! Basic public liability comes with the plate renewals each year for something like $20 and pays out less than $2000 on a death or injury. There is likely no additional insurance on drivers. If you have home liability insurance it should cover any eventuality overseas for you.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
LOL. Insurance in BKK! Basic public liability comes with the plate renewals each year for something like $20 and pays out less than $2000 on a death or injury. There is likely no additional insurance on drivers. If you have home liability insurance it should cover any eventuality overseas for you.
But public liability doesn't cover commercial vehicles. That's been one of the disputes with Uber from the beginning. There was an accident just a few weeks ago (IIRC) in San Francisco where and Uber driver killed a pedestrian. His insurance refused to cover it. Uber refused because he wasn't on a call at the time.

Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:37 am

"Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where'......... Sometimes it it for me, when I get out away from the tourist core. I might give 'em a shot when I return from my friends homes. I don't know what they charge long haul, as I've only used Uber around San Francisco, but they might be a good option to say, Hua Hin w/that $20 off code.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
"Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where'......... Sometimes it it for me, when I get out away from the tourist core. I might give 'em a shot when I return from my friends homes. I don't know what they charge long haul, as I've only used Uber around San Francisco, but they might be a good option to say, Hua Hin w/that $20 off code.
I priced out central bangkok to BKK airport and it showed 1000 THB. That is all in with tolls and tip. I pay our standard taxi driver that much, but it could admittedly be had for about half that amount.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
I priced out central bangkok to BKK airport and it showed 1000 THB. That is all in with tolls and tip. I pay our standard taxi driver that much, but it could admittedly be had for about half that amount.
Jeez, then they'll probably want 8K to HH ! May I assume the 1K to BKK was non-peak ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.