FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1556409-grab-car-service-now-bangkok-uber-sold-grab-se-asia.html)

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 1, 2014 8:16 am

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Nice to know uber is trying out Bangkok. Would be a great relieve from overpriced hotel limos and pesky metered or non metered taxi service.

dsquared37 Mar 1, 2014 10:26 am

Once taxi drivers figure out what is going on I expect 'problems' to arise.

tide Mar 1, 2014 10:47 am

Uber only in limited rollout now. Use GrabTaxi if you want a metered cab.

BTW referral links is that way ---> FT Uber Conga

Tchiowa Mar 1, 2014 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 22442268)
Once taxi drivers figure out what is going on I expect 'problems' to arise.

I suspect that may be an understatement.

whackyjacky Mar 1, 2014 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 22444408)
I suspect that may be an understatement.

The 'taxi-mafia will be pissed no doubt. IMO, Uber is too amorphous to protest or blockade. What are they going to do, smash the windshield of any car that stops on a soi or at a hotel to pick up a pedestrian ? 99% of these are going to be friends, drivers on the payroll, co-workers, & family.

BangkokTraveler Mar 1, 2014 10:58 pm

Uber car service now in Bangkok

I use Uber all the time in Chicago, I can't imagine it's going to work here in Bangkok except for very specialized uses. Taxis are 4x cheaper and far more available vs Chicago.

Now put Uber in Phuket, that'll be a great success, if every one of the drivers is not killed by the taxi mafia there. :)

Informpage Mar 2, 2014 1:16 am

Checked uber wait times at various places today, between 5-10 min (except on Bang Krachao where it was 50, not bad!) The prices quoted seemed like metered pricing. That said I wasn't going to wait 10 min when there were plenty of metered cabs available. And when metered cabs are hard to get, Uber will start with that ridiculous surge pricing where they keep cars of the road so they can jack rates by 8x.

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 2, 2014 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Informpage (Post 22445355)
Checked uber wait times at various places today, between 5-10 min (except on Bang Krachao where it was 50, not bad!) The prices quoted seemed like metered pricing. That said I wasn't going to wait 10 min when there were plenty of metered cabs available. And when metered cabs are hard to get, Uber will start with that ridiculous surge pricing where they keep cars of the road so they can jack rates by 8x.

In my building on Soi 20 sukh it can take 5-10 minutes for the security guard to get a taxi. Uber would be so convenient. I can monitor the arrival from my condo and just go downstairs when I need to.

Tchiowa Mar 3, 2014 4:44 am

One (of several) caution with Uber. Uber is supposed to make sure that the drivers have insurance, but it doesn't require them to have commercial insurance. If the driver has regular insurance and gets in an accident and his insurance company discovers he was driving for Uber, they won't pay the claim. In a place like Bangkok, you (the passenger) could get nailed for the cost. Plus, if you get hurt, his insurance is unlikely to cover you.

Tchiowa Mar 3, 2014 4:45 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky (Post 22444532)
The 'taxi-mafia will be pissed no doubt. IMO, Uber is too amorphous to protest or blockade. What are they going to do, smash the windshield of any car that stops on a soi or at a hotel to pick up a pedestrian ? 99% of these are going to be friends, drivers on the payroll, co-workers, & family.

Many taxi and limo drivers have relationships with hotel staff. They'll notice and potential create a problem.

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 3, 2014 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 22451656)
One (of several) caution with Uber. Uber is supposed to make sure that the drivers have insurance, but it doesn't require them to have commercial insurance. If the driver has regular insurance and gets in an accident and his insurance company discovers he was driving for Uber, they won't pay the claim. In a place like Bangkok, you (the passenger) could get nailed for the cost. Plus, if you get hurt, his insurance is unlikely to cover you.

LOL. Insurance in BKK! Basic public liability comes with the plate renewals each year for something like $20 and pays out less than $2000 on a death or injury. There is likely no additional insurance on drivers. If you have home liability insurance it should cover any eventuality overseas for you.

Tchiowa Mar 4, 2014 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 22452484)
LOL. Insurance in BKK! Basic public liability comes with the plate renewals each year for something like $20 and pays out less than $2000 on a death or injury. There is likely no additional insurance on drivers. If you have home liability insurance it should cover any eventuality overseas for you.

But public liability doesn't cover commercial vehicles. That's been one of the disputes with Uber from the beginning. There was an accident just a few weeks ago (IIRC) in San Francisco where and Uber driver killed a pedestrian. His insurance refused to cover it. Uber refused because he wasn't on a call at the time.

Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where.

whackyjacky Mar 4, 2014 1:37 am

"Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where'......... Sometimes it it for me, when I get out away from the tourist core. I might give 'em a shot when I return from my friends homes. I don't know what they charge long haul, as I've only used Uber around San Francisco, but they might be a good option to say, Hua Hin w/that $20 off code.

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 4, 2014 8:29 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky (Post 22458104)
"Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where'......... Sometimes it it for me, when I get out away from the tourist core. I might give 'em a shot when I return from my friends homes. I don't know what they charge long haul, as I've only used Uber around San Francisco, but they might be a good option to say, Hua Hin w/that $20 off code.

I priced out central bangkok to BKK airport and it showed 1000 THB. That is all in with tolls and tip. I pay our standard taxi driver that much, but it could admittedly be had for about half that amount.

whackyjacky Mar 4, 2014 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 22459430)
I priced out central bangkok to BKK airport and it showed 1000 THB. That is all in with tolls and tip. I pay our standard taxi driver that much, but it could admittedly be had for about half that amount.

Jeez, then they'll probably want 8K to HH ! May I assume the 1K to BKK was non-peak ?