FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1556409-grab-car-service-now-bangkok-uber-sold-grab-se-asia.html)

Tchiowa Mar 31, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22618917)
I read there is free wifi hotspots at the departure or arrival hall of the airport? Have to make use of it so I can do a booking or else I would have no way to book it.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, I just need to buy a pre-paid visitor SIM Card. Will get that then book an Uber. :) Gonna try this one from dtac.

UPDATE2: Just ordered the tourist SIM online and will pick it up when I land.

Yes, there is wi-fi. But you have to go to the wi-fi desk and ask for a password.

In the future, you don't need to pre-order a tourist SIM. You can get a prepaid SIM at 1,000 different counters in shopping sites all over BKK. 1-2-Call, for example

whackyjacky Mar 31, 2014 8:03 pm

IMO it's kinda crazy to use Uber on arrival at BKK w/out a Thai SIM. Just take a cab. You would have to go upstairs, buy a SIM, contact Uber, and wait who knows how long. lcp was smart to get one ahead of time. The car could be there already after luggage & immigration.

FlyerTalker683455 Apr 1, 2014 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 22621089)
Yes, there is wi-fi. But you have to go to the wi-fi desk and ask for a password.

In the future, you don't need to pre-order a tourist SIM. You can get a prepaid SIM at 1,000 different counters in shopping sites all over BKK. 1-2-Call, for example

unless you order uber at the time you land, there is no point. the wait can be 30-60 minutes. An AOT Camry is "only" 1200 THB into town.

lcpteck Apr 5, 2014 10:12 pm

After I landed at BKK, i went to pickup up my SIM card from the dtac booth. They helped to install and setup the sim card and tested the internet to be working.

I proceeded to order Uber unforunately there were no cars to be found after a few mins wait. So I took a taxi from the official taxi stand and got to my hotel with no issues.

Few days later got an email informing me they awarded me thb300 credit for my next ride to be used by this weekend to apologize for the lack of vehicles on the road (Uber BKK is still in soft launch).

I ordered Uber for my return trip from Hotel to Airport and managed to get a Black Camry but took about 40 mins to reach me. Enjoyed the ride, pretty quiet too. He dropped me off and I tipped the driver an extra thb50.

Overall a nice experience.

dewby Jun 28, 2014 8:26 am

Any new experiences on the roll out of uber in BKK.

Have a couple of stays. I am considering using it but not convinced.

greendx Jun 28, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm also curious to see recent updates especially from BKK. I'm planning on giving it a try if the wait is no more than 10 minutes. Otherwise I'll probably just take a taxi.

olisch Jun 29, 2014 3:13 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23112802)
I'm also curious to see recent updates especially from BKK. I'm planning on giving it a try if the wait is no more than 10 minutes.

I used uber last week 3 times in Bangkok:

Sofitel Sukhumvit - Emporium Mall (Sukhumvit Soi 24): 91 THB
Sofitel So - Sofitel Sukhumvit: 144 THB
Sofitel Sukhumvit - Airport: 1.075 THB

The trips around Sukhumvit Road were about 50% more expensive than a trip with a regular taxi. Sounds expensive but it's just about 30 THB to 50 THB surcharge. Both times I had to wait about 3 to 5 minutes in the early afternoon for my driver. The cars were huge, new Toyota Camrys, the driver were friendly and spoke good english, one time I was offered water for drinking.

For my trip to the airport I had to wait about 12 minutes in the morning. Also a huge Toyota Camry. The fair to the airport is a fixed price of 1.000 THB plus tollway.

The booking through the app is easy and simple. Payment through cc. After the trip you get a detailed bill by mail.

All in all it was a good experience. Uber in Bangkok makes sense for certain destinations were regular taxis are reluctant to go to. For a trip in the Sukhumvit, Siam and Silom area a regular taxi might do the job as well.

dewby Jun 29, 2014 6:50 am

Originally Posted by olisch (Post 23113824)
I used uber last week 3 times in Bangkok:

Sofitel Sukhumvit - Emporium Mall (Sukhumvit Soi 24): 91 THB
Sofitel So - Sofitel Sukhumvit: 144 THB
Sofitel Sukhumvit - Airport: 1.075 THB

The trips around Sukhumvit Road were about 50% more expensive than a trip with a regular taxi. Sounds expensive but it's just about 30 THB to 50 THB surcharge. Both times I had to wait about 3 to 5 minutes in the early afternoon for my driver. The cars were huge, new Toyota Camrys, the driver were friendly and spoke good english, one time I was offered water for drinking.

For my trip to the airport I had to wait about 12 minutes in the morning. Also a huge Toyota Camry. The fair to the airport is a fixed price of 1.000 THB plus tollway.

The booking through the app is easy and simple. Payment through cc. After the trip you get a detailed bill by mail.

All in all it was a good experience. Uber in Bangkok makes sense for certain destinations were regular taxis are reluctant to go to. For a trip in the Sukhumvit, Siam and Silom area a regular taxi might do the job as well.

Thanks olisch. Much appreciated. The 1000 to the airport seems expensive in relation to a taxi and is only a little less than hotel limousine depending on car type clearly.

greendx Jul 1, 2014 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by olisch (Post 23113824)
The fair to the airport is a fixed price of 1.000 THB plus tollway.

Tolls weren't included? But they were billed to your credit card right? Or did you have to pay tolls in cash?

I know that taxis are cheaper but 1000 isn't too bad and way cheaper than hotel limos so it's all a matter of how much time I'd have to wait at the airport for uber.

greendx Jul 2, 2014 6:45 am

Hmm looks like they may have lowered the airport rate. Just did a quote from BKK to SGS and it came to 625

olisch Jul 2, 2014 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23129127)
Tolls weren't included? But they were billed to your credit card right? Or did you have to pay tolls in cash?

No, everything was paid by cc

greendx Jul 3, 2014 6:48 am

Just got to my hotel. Landed at 1720, placed an order for uber while walking through baggage claim area and the car was outside as I walked out of the terminal. Was in the car at 1746.

Looks like Uber Bangkok is having a 45% off sale right now (all of July?). My total came to 575 from BKK to SGS taking 1 hour and 40 minutes due to horrible traffic. I'm very happy with the uber experience here so far.

LIH Prem Jul 3, 2014 7:09 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23136306)
Just got to my hotel. Landed at 1720, placed an order for uber while walking through baggage claim area and the car was outside as I walked out of the terminal. Was in the car at 1746.

Looks like Uber Bangkok is having a 45% off sale right now (all of July?). My total came to 575 from BKK to SGS taking 1 hour and 40 minutes due to horrible traffic. I'm very happy with the uber experience here so far.

where did you meet the car?

-David

greendx Jul 3, 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 23136407)
where did you meet the car?

-David

I wasn't sure where to meet the car but just ended up coming out of exit B on the arrivals level and was planning on finding the car via his gps location. Ended up seeing him pull up right between gate/meeting point 5 & 6 right as I was walking out.

olisch Jul 3, 2014 8:01 am

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 23136306)
Looks like Uber Bangkok is having a 45% off sale right now (all of July?).

Here's the link to the promotion: https://blog.uber.com/rainydaysbkk

And yes, it's until end of july, but doesn't apply for flatrates

โปรโมชั่นอาจใช้ไม่ได้กับราคาเหมาและจะใช้ได้จน กว่า 31 กรกฎาคม 2557