FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1556409-grab-car-service-now-bangkok-uber-sold-grab-se-asia.html)

Tchiowa Mar 5, 2014 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 22459430)
I priced out central bangkok to BKK airport and it showed 1000 THB. That is all in with tolls and tip. I pay our standard taxi driver that much, but it could admittedly be had for about half that amount.

A taxi should be around 300 THB. YOu can get an airport or hotel limo for 1000 baht.

Jaimito Cartero Mar 5, 2014 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 22457939)
Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where.

I'd disagree. Finding taxis that will use their meter can be a big hassle, especially at busy times, raining, etc.

mk1 Mar 7, 2014 12:38 pm

Count me in as being excited for Uber in Bangkok. I live in Washington, DC, and they have definitely shaken up the status quo with taxis here.

I look forward to trying it out next month in BKK!

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 8, 2014 6:07 am

There are many transportation options. I didn't mean to descend into arguments about what is a good or bad rate. uber is more expensive than a metered taxi in any city they operate.

The point was to say that it is good news to see uber in Bangkok.

Has anyone used them yet here?

Informpage Mar 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 22485697)
There are many transportation options. I didn't mean to descend into arguments about what is a good or bad rate. uber is more expensive than a metered taxi in any city they operate.

The point was to say that it is good news to see uber in Bangkok.

Has anyone used them yet here?

I tried twice. Once the 8min quote went steadily up as I watched the driver go the opposite direction for 15min at which point it said 20 min wait, so I cancelled it.

The second time the 10min quote was also inaccurate, after waiting 15 min with another 15min wait estimated, I cancelled and jumped in to a metered taxi.

I think this time estimate thing is going to be a problem. Traffic is wildly unpredictable and both of these were around 10pm on a weekday.

transpac Mar 12, 2014 8:58 pm

no additional fee to the airport
Note that for those who use a radio-dispatched taxi, you will incur a 20 baht fee, over/above the meter. I think GrabTaxi has a fee of 25 baht.

I think the DLT-published flat-rate fares displayed in many taxis are for destinations outside the Bangkok Metropolitan Area. I do not believe these cover travel to SBIA/BKK.

There are several reliable limo services which charge 950 - 1,000 baht all in for travel from many locations in the City, to SBIA/BKK.

There are some reasonably positive reviews of UBER on Thai social forums.

I think the pricing starts at 45 baht + 9.2 baht/Km + 2.50 baht/min.

FWIW, you can use Google Maps to approximate the distance and travel time. There are many hotels in the database, the transport options - choose the car icon to get a feel for the taxi option - are pretty decent (the transit icon includes buses, BTS, SARL, MRT, Canal, River, maybe others) as are the traffic impacts - a "normal" travel time is displayed, as is a "current" travel time. There are now travel "time-line" options displayed showing connections to the next departing options.

whackyjacky Mar 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Looks like 1st timers can get $45 credit now: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ber-customers/ Might want to sign up for the FT Uber conga: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-...service-9.html

aBroadAbroad Mar 19, 2014 10:43 am

Friendly reminder...

Hello, all...

As this thread is for discussion of Uber Car Service in Bangkok, I've moved 28 posts about Bangkok taxis to the Catching a Taxi thread.

Thanks helping to keep the threads on topic.

aBroadAbroad
Moderator, Thailand Forum

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 25, 2014 3:38 am

Trip report

Ordered uber. First car got lost on the way. Headed exactly the opposite. direction.

I cancelled the call and did a new one. That one arrived properly. Mercedes e class limo also under contract to Sofitel. First class (ok second class compared to S class or Bentley).

The surprise came when I received the bill. 90 Thb!!!

Taxi would have been about 68-90 baht depending on traffic.

I am gonna use them again. Just allow 30 minutes for them to show up.

lcpteck Mar 26, 2014 7:07 am

Too bad Uber doesn't go from BKK Airport to Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel. :(

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22590387)
Too bad Uber doesn't go from BKK Airport to Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel. :(

Are you sure? They don't pick up at Bkk airport?

lcpteck Mar 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 22592647)
Are you sure? They don't pick up at Bkk airport?

They do pickup at BKK airport, but don't seem to deliver to Royal Orchid Sheraton. I checked the Uber website area of coverage, doesn't seem to extend to where the hotel is located.

FlyerTalker683455 Mar 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 22594172)
They do pickup at BKK airport, but don't seem to deliver to Royal Orchid Sheraton. I checked the Uber website area of coverage, doesn't seem to extend to where the hotel is located.

The web site is beta. They definitely pick up and deliver to the riverside hotels.

lcpteck Mar 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest (Post 22594816)
The web site is beta. They definitely pick up and deliver to the riverside hotels.

You're right, I just tried the website and quote shows THB1000. Will do a booking after I land. :)

lcpteck Mar 30, 2014 10:32 pm

I read there is free wifi hotspots at the departure or arrival hall of the airport? Have to make use of it so I can do a booking or else I would have no way to book it.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, I just need to buy a pre-paid visitor SIM Card. Will get that then book an Uber. :) Gonna try this one from dtac.

UPDATE2: Just ordered the tourist SIM online and will pick it up when I land.