Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Even 500 is way to much. Should be about 250 max to Suk. I go through a few drivers but within a couple minutes we are on our way for 250.
OK - I was talking total cost, and your destination on Suk is also a bit of a variable as it practically runs the length of the country... If you really want to save the 50b departure fee go up to the departure level, jump the gate, and hail a cab that is dropping off passengers.

SL
Old May 23, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SunLover
OK - I was talking total cost, and your destination on Suk is also a bit of a variable as it practically runs the length of the country... If you really want to save the 50b departure fee go up to the departure level, jump the gate, and hail a cab that is dropping off passengers.
SL
Not only that but all of those guys are more than willing to use the meter, no questions asked, in my experience. I used to stand in line at the arrivals like everyone else out of some misplaced sense of (insert phrase) but now it's Level 4 and away we go.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
GrabTaxi saved our life in DMK last time we were there (arrival at 12PM with at least 1 hour wait for taxis).

Downloaded the app and 5 minutes later we were in a clean taxi with an honest driver (quite a change from the usual).
Old May 25, 2015, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by schoflyer
Now that I'm a Uber driver in SF, I'd rather shift my business to them. I have 600THB credit from trips I took my last stay to boot!
with a $50B valuation, there must be more to that story.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll try uber on arrival. I've been taking the AOT Camry for 1200. Nice for 1 or 2 people and generally hassle free.

-David
Old May 25, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
with a $50B valuation, there must be more to that story.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll try uber on arrival. I've been taking the AOT Camry for 1200. Nice for 1 or 2 people and generally hassle free.

-David
??? My credit came from either a local promo or from handing out a promo code in the US... but for some reason because I used uber in BKK my locale was reset the Thailand so I was getting 200 THB credit X 3 instead of $20 X 3=$60. I don't know where your $50B comes in?

If there is a car available, definitely go for it.

Last edited by schoflyer; May 25, 2015 at 2:40 am
Old May 27, 2015, 7:48 pm

Plenty of cars last night when I arrived at 11:30pm
Old May 30, 2015, 11:13 pm

I don't know where your $50B comes in?
For their next round of financing, they had/have a valuation of around $50B.

It was all over the news, for example:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrismye...means-for-you/

You said you're now an Uber driver in SF?

-David
Old May 31, 2015, 1:36 am

Yup. I drive part time.
Ah... $50Billion
I was trying to figure out 50baht from your $50B
Old May 31, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum | 100 Nights
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Once taxi drivers figure out what is going on I expect 'problems' to arise.
Couldn't agree more. Just wait until the taxi mafia become aware that Uber is taking a slice of their pie.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richfromoz
Couldn't agree more. Just wait until the taxi mafia become aware that Uber is taking a slice of their pie.
Meh. Been a year, no incidents I am aware of. Very tiny slice, which probably used private cars anyway, so no lost business. And so many private drivers/cars around there is no way for taxi drivers to know who's who, and with the ingrained behavior (kreng jai) shouldn't be any issues.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by SunLover

SL
We have done that more than once...easy to slip through the gate. Lately we have skipped Bangkok altogether and just headed straight to Pattaya on the bus if early enough, or with a private driver for 1000 THB if arriving late.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:18 pm

Yup. I drive part time.
Ah... $50Billion
I was trying to figure out 50baht from your $50B
haha

Even uber is working to replace you with self-driving car tech.

-David
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:39 am

At 10am Friday morning there were plenty of cars. Took less than 5 minutes for my car to pull up. Both UberX and UberBlack is now available. UberX is 500 flat vs 1000 for UberBlack. With tolls my total was 575 for UberX to Intercontinental and I couldn't be happier.

I know I know taxis should be 200-300 baht cheaper (although I've never been able to get one that cheap) but I couldn't be happier with Uber with these prices.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:43 pm

Uber is a great taxi-alternative especially for airport transfers. I always make sure to use Google Maps for best route since the native driver app works with Apple Maps and you ,ight get stuck in traffic.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
Overall, I am really happy with Uber in Bangkok and use it daily. I particularly like the fact that the driver can't refuse to take you where you want to go and there is never any price 'discussion' of the 'oh, very traffic, 300baht' variety.

Many of the drivers in my area are new and have been working only a couple of weeks, so they are still learning the ropes. The Uber map app has provided some pretty strange routings, but when I am familiar with where I am headed, I just tell the driver where to go and they are happy to follow my route suggestions. I live a bit out of the center, in Ekkamai, so sometimes there is a wait, but usually not more than 15-20 minutes. Because of that uncertainty, I don't use it for airport runs and book a car service in advance.

All in all, I'll take Uber over local taxis any day, even with their annoying 'Surge Pricing', just because I am tired of negotiating with shakedown artists who see a foreigner and think their day is about to be made. It's completely tiresome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.