Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand a good choice for Xmas family vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm starting to give some thought as to where to take the family (wife and young teenagers) next Xmas. I give it advanced thought because I find it much easier to snag the necessary ff award tickets for busy periods if I plan ahead. We've always wanted to visit Thailand, but have never made it.

When visiting developing countries, my experience tells me it's good to go during better weather (like non-monsoon season). For instance, I've just been advised that Xmas wouldn't be a good time to visit northern India. From what I read, though, there seems to be no weather issue in Thailand for Xmas. True?

The other thing I worry about in Thailand is the political situation -- especially when booking so far in advance. Realistically, should I be concerned by the possibility of political disruption later this year?

I'm thinking we'd spend somewhere between 8 and 10 days in Thailand (and then hopefully add a short stop in Shanghai on our way home). Where is the best place to get a quick overview of possible itineraries? I'm sure a beach stop would be enjoyed, but cultural stuff would be a higher priority. And since the family enjoys shopping in Shanghai, perhaps some shopping would also be enjoyed (I have a vague recollection that there is China-like shopping opportunities in Thailand).

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I too am looking at a trip to Thailand next December, probably flying a day or two after Christmas.

From what I've read that is peak tourist season, waether is good. we are looking at one of the beaches. If there is any political unrest at departure time I'll just punt.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Weather in Thailand is good during that time so no worries there. It is peak time but with this much advanced planning you can hold a refundable reservation and keep an eye out for a non-refundable better deal as they do pop up various times through the year. Political situation, well, good luck there. People cant predict that from day to day much less this far out. I would not be worried about that at all to be honest. I would just make sure to watch the hotels requirement for meals during the holidaty season. It is not unusual to require you to purchase a very expensive Christmas or New Years dinner at resort properties. It is usually stated but I always check before booking.

It is a busy time but a that is because it is a good time to go.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta PLAT + 1K United for 2011, ????? for 2012
I was in Bangkok last month at Christmas ,

There were Christmas decorations , Christmas trees, etc,

It was really a big thing at the Shopping Centers and people were having fun with it, Since less than 10% of Thais are Christian its more for sales than a religious thing ,

And the weather was nice , rained only a few hours in 2 weeks , temps in the 80s F mostly and cool (for Thailand) at night,

If you do go up north it can get very cold this time of year , down into the 30s-40s F at night

You will have fun

RB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.