FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thailand a good choice for Xmas family vacation?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:43 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thailand a good choice for Xmas family vacation?

I'm starting to give some thought as to where to take the family (wife and young teenagers) next Xmas. I give it advanced thought because I find it much easier to snag the necessary ff award tickets for busy periods if I plan ahead. We've always wanted to visit Thailand, but have never made it.

When visiting developing countries, my experience tells me it's good to go during better weather (like non-monsoon season). For instance, I've just been advised that Xmas wouldn't be a good time to visit northern India. From what I read, though, there seems to be no weather issue in Thailand for Xmas. True?

The other thing I worry about in Thailand is the political situation -- especially when booking so far in advance. Realistically, should I be concerned by the possibility of political disruption later this year?

I'm thinking we'd spend somewhere between 8 and 10 days in Thailand (and then hopefully add a short stop in Shanghai on our way home). Where is the best place to get a quick overview of possible itineraries? I'm sure a beach stop would be enjoyed, but cultural stuff would be a higher priority. And since the family enjoys shopping in Shanghai, perhaps some shopping would also be enjoyed (I have a vague recollection that there is China-like shopping opportunities in Thailand).

Thanks for the advice!