Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

BANGKOK: empty land on Chao Praya - what will go there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BANGKOK: empty land on Chao Praya - what will go there?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Arrow BANGKOK: empty land on Chao Praya - what will go there?

Between the Millennium Hilton and the Peninsula, across the Royal Orchid Sheraton, there were old warehouses that seemed inactive.
The warehouses are now gone and that leads to all kind of speculations.
I have not heard or read anything that could be confirmed. Has anyone an actual information on the whereabout of this large land?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Lets hope its not going to be another of those huge tower blocks next to (behind if viewed from ROS) the Peninsula.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
6 * hotel

One source told me that he heard about the construction of a 6 :-: hotel on that site.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by UASPG
One source told me that he heard about the construction of a 6 :-: hotel on that site.
The long awaited Jumeirah property, the Capella Hotel?

Capella Bangkok, Capella’s newest destination, will be an ultra-luxury hotel and residential tower situated on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. The Capella Bangkok hotel will be comprised of 100 guest rooms and a series of waterfront villas, all offering exceptional views of the river. Guest rooms and suites have magnificent sky gardens and spacious outdoor salas. The residential tower will feature 350 Capella Residences, each luxury home will be accompanied by world-class amenities and superior personalized services.

Amenities at Capella Bangkok will include a bar, two gourmet restaurants and a 9,000 sq. ft. Auriga Spa and outdoor pool, secluded in a lush tropical landscape.

Opening Fall 2013.

Last edited by Kalboz; Aug 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: various
I think the Capella/Jumeirah property is on the Bangkok side of the river, not the Thonburi side. Where the old Fish Marketing offices were?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:38 pm

Ultra-luxury hotel....so would that be the kind of hotel that people go to and never leave the hotels gates? The way they describe it, it almost sounds like a little village inside the city. Like going to Jamaica or something.

This is not for casual tourists (with money) to Thailand?

Sorry, never been to an ultra-luxury hotel.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
There is also a very prime piece of real estate in the Sukhumvit area, located beside the Nana BTS station, on the 'even number' soi side of the street. Any ideas what will go in there? This has been an unfinished concrete structure on this piece of land for the 10 years I've been going to BKK. The last three visits have seen the place town down, and now there is nothing there. No activity going on either! But something must be brewing?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
...oops.... that should be TORN down... I should re-read before posting.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by sim510
There is also a very prime piece of real estate in the Sukhumvit area, located beside the Nana BTS station, on the 'even number' soi side of the street. Any ideas what will go in there? This has been an unfinished concrete structure on this piece of land for the 10 years I've been going to BKK. The last three visits have seen the place town down, and now there is nothing there. No activity going on either! But something must be brewing?
Are you talking about the graffiti-filled shell of a building at Soi 6? That structure was abandoned since the 1997 Asian Financial crisis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3819558611/
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Are you talking about the graffiti-filled shell of a building at Soi 6? That structure was abandoned since the 1997 Asian Financial crisis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3819558611/
I'm sure that's what sim is talking about, and it has been torn down for awhile now. Good riddance--it was creepy with all the feral soi dogs hanging out there, especially walking down Soi 6 at night. And so poorly done and then deteriorated as a structure that only demolition made sense.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:43 am

Speaking of empty shells - A buddy of mine used to live on Soi 27 and they've been building the hotel there on the corner of Suk, for 10 years. The noise and disruption drove him out. Seems like about a floor a year the last 5. The nameplate has changed a few times too. Anybody got any scuttlebutt ? All I could find on it is this: http://www.carlson.com/news-and-medi...p?article=2084 - which may or may not be the same place. wj
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:45 am

The Radisson Blu and the Radisson Plaza Soi 27 are one and the same.

The Radisson Blu in Bangkok, brings portfolio to 53 hotels in APac.

http://upic.me/show/19846122

The hotel is owned by G&P Asset Holdings, a major property owner in Thailand. The property is under construction and will open in the fourth quarter of 2013.

Last edited by Kalboz; Aug 14, 2011 at 6:26 am
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
From the sounds of it, the Jumeirah property would have to be on the Thonburi side, as I don't think there's a large enough lot on the Bangkok side to hold a resort such as that described. Possible, though, especially if not in the densely packed stretch from ROS to Saphan Taksin.

The last time I was in Bangkok, it looked like the Pepsi bottling/distributing facility on the Thonburi side, next to The River condo block, was shutting down. Is there any word that the Pepsi facility is slated for redevelopment into a hotel or resort or residential property?

Any one of these could be the long-awaited, much-wanted, rampantly rumored aman Bangkok.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
From the sounds of it, the Jumeirah property would have to be on the Thonburi side, as I don't think there's a large enough lot on the Bangkok side to hold a resort such as that described. Possible, though, especially if not in the densely packed stretch from ROS to Saphan Taksin.
Bangkok side. See this, esp Post 29. The parcel goes to the river and then north, you can see from the conceptual 3-D images in post 33. I expect the actual buildings, once built, will deviate somewhat from the concept, which is pretty typical.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MegatopLover

The last time I was in Bangkok, it looked like the Pepsi bottling/distributing facility on the Thonburi side, next to The River condo block, was shutting down. Is there any word that the Pepsi facility is slated for redevelopment into a hotel or resort or residential property?

Any one of these could be the long-awaited, much-wanted, rampantly rumored aman Bangkok.
In Feb the Pepsi distribution site was going strong. Even if it did shut down, with The River project just north of it, there not much of a footprint to work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.