Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THAI's A340-541s sold to TAM Brasil

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Acerola
what was the jfk debacle? i am late.
It's what this whole thread (and three or four others) is about. TG bought four brand new planes to fly nonstop BKK-LAX and BKK-JFK. Fuel spiked. Loads decent. But still couldn't make the economics work. Had to abruptly cut JFK, reduce LAX frequency and add a stop, and put the planes up for sale-- unsuccessfully, as yet.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: ROP
Now that crude has fallen below $100, and would probably stabilize at $80 or so, what are the chances that they would reverse their decision and restart service?

RAISE the prices, TG! Everyone else is doing the same.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
A complete turnabout and resumption of a discontinued service would be very unusual. But if one airline is capable of it, then it is TG.

The more likely result is that TG reconfigures the A345's to something more like the A346's and deploys them on long-haul (but not ultra-long-haul) routes or one-stop routes to the US. That would at least get the birds back in the air without resuming the most gas-guzzling aspects of the ULH operations.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I agree with everything Megatop Lover said above. I would also like to point out that THAI's (demoted then re-moted ) President Apinan Sumanaseni wanted to cancel the nonstops to USA (it played out publicly) and replace them with 1-stops in early 2007, even as they awaited imminent delivery of their fourth and final A340-500. (Refer to the linked thread below.) That was somewhat of a debacle itself, as they stated they were going to daily nonstop services (from the 5x weekly services at the time), then said they were going to 1-stops, then claimed due to popular demand that they were going to daily nonstop service.

TG may cut nonstop flights to US (merged)

This all took place at a time when crude oil was around $65-$70/barrel; Thus, I don't think these flights will be coming back.

On the other hand, maybe if Apinan finally gets the boot (which could happen sooner rather than later if there is a significant change in political power in the Thai government), then new leadership might take different views on the whole situation.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:09 pm

I was reverifying my flight from LAX to BKK 10 Oct with my travel agent and it seems the 345's are still scheduled both directions. but...

When you go to seatguru dot com they have a notice on the 345's that say they will not be in use after Oct 1.

Will a technical stop at Osaka show on my ticket from BKK to LAX???

Thanks,
M
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
No, you will not have a stop.

The 1-stop in Osaka (on the 777-200ER) does not take effect until Oct. 26th.

For reference, check out TG's press release:
http://thaiairwaysusa.com/EN/News/Ne...ion.aspx?Id=31
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:38 pm

Assuming no ultra last minute chagnes, of course.

A change in political leadership might indeed help chances - this might be viewed as a matter of national pride. However, it might be less than optimal for Thailand.

I still don't understand why TG wouldn't raise their prices and/or add a 1-stop. They have great equipment. They have good service. However, they seem to prefer to charge a lower than average price, particularly for the JFK flight.

(Yes, I am still sore)
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by pueywei
Assuming no ultra last minute chagnes, of course.

A change in political leadership might indeed help chances - this might be viewed as a matter of national pride. However, it might be less than optimal for Thailand.

I still don't understand why TG wouldn't raise their prices and/or add a 1-stop. They have great equipment. They have good service. However, they seem to prefer to charge a lower than average price, particularly for the JFK flight.

(Yes, I am still sore)
The point has been madeby other posters before. BKK is primarily a leisure destination,not a business one as HKG or SIN. Leisure travelers are price sensitive and it is hard to recover the high cost of fuel solely on leisure fares; the percentage increase would have to be very steep. On the allready-expensive C/F tickets, the percentage increase is smaller and might be accepted for the convenience of a nonstop flight. Note that SQ has just introduced C-only nonstop NYC-SIN flights, while TG C section of NYC-BKK was primarily filled with awards.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:24 pm

Yes I know. However, it seems like there are no other options for leisure travellers anyway. I've compared their a few times last year; they are that cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.