Wiki Posts
Search

THAI's A340-541s sold to TAM Brasil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by UnitedA380
TG will be so happy to get rid of the fuel pigs.
TG needed to plan their flight route properly and they couldn't compete with SQ. Why would SQ then reconfigure their aircraft to Business Class only on those aircrafts if they are 'fuel pigs'?

There is demand for such flights from a city like Singapore. Unfortunately not from Bangkok.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:19 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
TG needed to plan their flight route properly and they couldn't compete with SQ. Why would SQ then reconfigure their aircraft to Business Class only on those aircrafts if they are 'fuel pigs'?

There is demand for such flights from a city like Singapore. Unfortunately not from Bangkok.
Hi Guy Betsy, the stats are not looking that flash, I hope SQ had the right plan, you are right, there is a huge demand from America to Viet/Camb/Thai for family reunifications and it would be great if SQ can harvest it, but all previous surveys show the market is Y and Y+, it's a great airline, if anyone can pull it off, they can. regards bkkrop
Old Aug 10, 2008, 2:41 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by BKKROP
there is a huge demand from America to Viet/Camb/Thai for family reunifications and it would be great if SQ can harvest it,
I can assure you SQ are not looking at the family reunion market on their all J nonstop flights.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedA380
TG will be so happy to get rid of the fuel pigs.
I am sure the oldest A300's (from 1985) and 747's (from 1990) in the TG fleet consume more fuel than the A345. The problem is the seat configuration and the poor yield (caused by carrying the weight of fuel for a 18h flight), not the a/c itself.

The A345 is approved for at least 360 pax in a 2-class configuration. Well, reconfigure the a/c and operate it on the selected leisure routes to Europe and Oz and for sure the a/c will make money ^

TG actually operate the A345 on a financial lease. Could that be the reason why they want to get rid of them?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
TAM will soon be a STAR Allliance member, so we will all get to try the same planes all over again, albeit refurbished.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 23, 2008 at 7:17 am
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Are the really sold to Tam??

I'm not so sure this thread title is accurate. The four A340-500s are still showing up on Planemart.com, and I was recently reading some info about TAM fleet adjustments that mentioned nothing about acquiring the A340-500s from THAI. Does anybody else know anything as to their status?

I will say that regardless, the A340-500s do seem to definitely be gone from THAI after the October 26th schedule change. I am booked on the new TG797 LAX flight in November, and I have seat assignments on the 777-200ER.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
I'm not so sure this thread title is accurate. The four A340-500s are still showing up on Planemart.com, and I was recently reading some info about TAM fleet adjustments that mentioned nothing about acquiring the A340-500s from THAI.
Hi Sam Drucker, threads on other boards agree with you, and on several, the idea that TAM would buy more 345's regardless of the price, is laughed at. It is still a topic of conversation amongst interested parties, I imagine. Really a shame, because these planes are in top condition. I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear what SQ thinks of them, I only have one contact and they say the figures are as posted, 67% over the last 3 month period, and it's a growth route. regards bkkrop
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:39 am

Sigh after flying in SQ's EE this past May i was really looking forward to trying TG's A345 in PE class..to see this birds fly (heh south mind you) is still sad to see
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: ROP
Don't complain, I was going to go for a GUP to J. Now I guess I'll have to endure LAX!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
If they are selling these birds they haven't gone yet. I saw two possibly three (wasn't sure if it was a 346) at BKK last week. Also sure I saw one operating at KUL last weekend.

Originally Posted by BKKROP
I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear what SQ thinks of them
You don't need to be, they've said on a couple of occassions that given the choice again they would neither buy them or start any ULH services.

The fuel is the killer and always has been. SQ were losing money on their flights to LAX and EWR when fuel was half the price it is now.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
If they are selling these birds they haven't gone yet. I saw two possibly three (wasn't sure if it was a 346) at BKK last week. Also sure I saw one operating at KUL last weekend.
That makes two of us. I saw one A345 parked over at the apron on the left of the airport as your approach from the north (beside Concourse A), and two more parked at the remote stands in the middle of the C, D, E Concourses. As to the latter two, I saw the registrations, so I'm certain that at least those two were A345s. One of them had the engine cowlings open. Could be for mtx., but perhaps more likely for an inspection by a prospective buyer. This was on the morning of August 27th.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: QR Silver, A3 Silver, (former: AB Platinum)
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
I'm not so sure this thread title is accurate. The four A340-500s are still showing up on Planemart.com, and I was recently reading some info about TAM fleet adjustments that mentioned nothing about acquiring the A340-500s from THAI. Does anybody else know anything as to their status?
When you try to book a flight from FRA to GRU (e.g. 10/03/08) the A345 already shows up for the TAM flight.
But I am wondering why it is arriving one hour later than Lufthansa's 744 (which is scheduled to leave 5 Minutes later than TAM) :-)
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Exec Platinum, TG ROP, WOH Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by X2921294H
When you try to book a flight from FRA to GRU (e.g. 10/03/08) the A345 already shows up for the TAM flight.
That's cuz TAM already has 2 A340-500s on that route.

The TG planes, as far as I know, are still on the market (some say sitting on the apron at BKK.)
Old Sep 14, 2008, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by filmwill
(and potential mess worse than the JFK debacle).....
what was the jfk debacle? i am late.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Acerola
what was the jfk debacle? i am late.
Hi Acerola, Ah yes the great jfk debacle, it was bigger than taxi stand at bangkok airport and for a while threatened champagne in F class. They came from all over, we even had posts from Ireland and the south island of New Zealand. The size and the impact of it were mentioned in the same breath as Britney Spears, it was something to see, the colour, the spectacle, awesome in size yet as we now know copied by other carriers, they didn't even change the wording, pure plagairism, some airlines don't have an original idea. Don't worry as it's often far better to arrive late, than not to arrive at all. You just had to be there, regards bkkrop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.