Search

Gold Card Extensions Beyond Dec 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Checked my account and was surprised to see two GUP in there. Both expire in Nov 2022 along with my Gold. So I guess I’m good through Nov 2023.

My plan pre-pandemic was to start earning with Asiana due to the TG devaluation. That didn’t work out so well.
Dropped to Silver. Let’s see what customer service says.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Hmmmm, there should have been an extension. I certainly hope so as I expire on 31 Dec, and have GUP1 unused. Please do let us know how this progresses.

I am flying BKK-UBP and BKK-UTH early in 2023 and if my ROP Gold doesn’t roll over I’ll be slightly sad.

On GUP, the cost of a Q fare is expensive and if just for upgrading via GUP then just buying a PE fare on another carrier is about the same and attractive. Indeed this is what I am doing at year’s end on air NZ PE to SIN, and SQ Y to BKK. Have an upgrade for Mrs TK and I lodged for PE->J and hopingbthat will clear.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Hmmmm, there should have been an extension. I certainly hope so as I expire on 31 Dec, and have GUP1 unused. Please do let us know how this progresses.

I am flying BKK-UBP and BKK-UTH early in 2023 and if my ROP Gold doesn’t roll over I’ll be slightly sad.

On GUP, the cost of a Q fare is expensive and if just for upgrading via GUP then just buying a PE fare on another carrier is about the same and attractive. Indeed this is what I am doing at year’s end on air NZ PE to SIN, and SQ Y to BKK. Have an upgrade for Mrs TK and I lodged for PE->J and hopingbthat will clear.
FWIW, I also emailed customer service as my Gold was not automatically extended, contrary to announcement.

Agree that the GUP-eligible fares are too expensive. Myself I ended flying via TK instead last summer, and looking at booking for next summer, I see TK J-fares at cost similar to Q on TG, though that TK J-fare would require an overnight layover in IST. With the current terms regarding what booking classes are applicable, GUP does not seem worth it to me. An applicable booking class instantly almost doubles the price of the ticket. I cannot remember it was like this before, when I used the GUP option.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TG*G
I dropped straight to base member from Gold as well, might give them a ring about it tomorrow.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Latest information on website as follows. I was welcomed as a Platinum Member which I have been for several years on last night's flight, but having read recent posts checked my profile and it now shows Gold. Suspect that this is automatic and does not take account of the following.

'The ongoing spread of COVID-19 pandemic provides long-term effects on air travelling. This situation may cause our valued members not able to use travel benefits from Royal Orchid Plus membership cards as frequently as usual, so we specially considered extending validity of Platinum and Gold membership tier status as follows.

Platinum and Gold membership tier status which will expire during 1 January - 31 December 2023 :

- For Platinum and Gold members who cannot meet normal criteria for card status retention, validity of your tier status will be specially extended for 1 year after the current expiry date, to the year 2024 (subject to personal card expiry date).

Members will be entitled for extra baggage allowance, most priority services, and access to lounges operated by THAI, THAI Smile, and Star Alliance, with exception of the Threshold Bonus miles, Complimentary Upgrade, and the right of the year 2023 to redeem a reduced 50% award ticket on THAI (Platinum / Gold Award 2024).

- For Platinum and Gold members who could attain or renew status from normal criteria in 2021 and have not been received card status extension policy from COVID-19 before, their card status will be specially extended for 2 years, to the year 2025 (subject to personal card expiry date).

Members will be entitled for full benefits of Platinum and Gold membership status, with exception of the Threshold Bonus miles.

Note:

For Platinum and Gold members who are entitled for Platinum and Gold Award 2022 (a reduced 50% award ticket on THAI) and have not yet redeemed it, the redemption period will be specially extended to 30 June 2023.

Your membership tier status will be adjusted after the expiry date of the current one. This is an automatic process, no further action by members is required. Therefore, you do not need to contact us for extending validity of the membership tier status.

We hope the above measure can provide ample time for your plan to travel and use the benefits from your membership tier status. We look forward to having you on board THAI once again in the near future.

* Terms & Conditions apply. THAI reserves the right to change from time to time basis.

Last update : 02 December 2022'
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maerim - yes, that is what the website says, but this seems not to be happening consistently.

I have flights on 01 Jan, so if the status extension is not automatic then no chance of sorting it out 'on the day'. All of that said, on 01 Jan it is an early sector on WE and frankly Mrs TK and I are not too bothered about domestic lounge access.

I already had in 2019, already met re-qualification for the period 01 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2022 - so I have not received any 'free' extension due to COVID. So I do feel others have had a much better outcome from status extensions than me (with zero).

Another reason to move on from THAI ROP. It has been a long relationship - my first flight was in Aug 1985 SIN-HKT (yes, they had such a direct flight back then).

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 3, 2022 at 4:39 pm
Old Dec 3, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
maerim - Thank you for posting this good news. So our TG Gold status is extended for another year. 😊 That means we can enter the TG domestic lounges flying WE CNX-BKK! ✈️
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:23 am

If you read Thai version, there are some differences from English version.

จากวิกฤตการณ์การแพร่ระบาดของไวรัส COVID-19 ที่ยังคงส่งผลกระทบต่อการเดินทางทางอากาศ ทำให้สมาชิก รอยัล ออร์คิด พลัส อาจไม่สามารถใช้สิทธิประโยชน์จากสถานภาพสมาชิกในการเ ดินทางได้ตามปกติ

บริษัทฯ ได้ตระหนักถึงความสำคัญของสมาชิก รอยัล ออร์คิด พลัส ที่มีคุณค่ายิ่ง จึงได้ดำเนินการขยายอายุสถานภาพสมาชิกให้กับท่านสมาช ิก รอยัล ออร์คิด พลัส บัตรทอง และบัตรแพลทินัม ตามรายละเอียดดังนี้
The ongoing spread of COVID-19 pandemic provides long-term effects on air travelling. This situation may cause our valued members not able to use travel benefits from Royal Orchid Plus membership cards as frequently as usual, so we specially considered extending validity of Platinum and Gold membership tier status as follows.

สถานภาพสมาชิก รอยัล ออร์คิด พลัส บัตรแพลทินัมและบัตรทองที่จะหมดอายุระหว่างวันท ี่ 1 มกราคม - 31 ธันวาคม 2566
Platinum and Gold membership tier status which will expire during 1 January - 31 December 2023 :

• สำหรับสมาชิกบัตรทองและบัตรแพลทินัม ที่ไม่สามารถรักษาสถานภาพสมาชิกจากการบินหรือสะสมไมล ์ตามหลักเกณฑ์ที่กำหนดไว้ได้ ท่านจะได้รับการต่อสถานภาพสมาชิกไปอีก 1 ปี นับจากวันที่สถานภาพสมาชิกปัจจุบันของท่านหมดอา ยุลง จนถึงปี 2566
- For Platinum and Gold members who cannot meet normal criteria for card status retention, validity of your tier status will be specially extended for 1 year after the current expiry date, to the year 2024 (subject to personal card expiry date).
** Confusions start from here, in Thai, it says it will be extended for 1 year until 2566. 2566 is 2023 not 2024 as in English. You can convert Thai Buddhist Calendar by subtract 543.

โดยสมาชิกจะได้รับ สิทธิประโยชน์จากสถานภาพสมาชิก อาทิ น้ำหนักสัมภาระเพิ่มพิเศษ สิทธิ์การได้รับบริการบางประเภทก่อน รวมถึงอภินันทนาการเข้าห้องรับรองของการบินไทย ไทยสมายล์ และสายการบินพันธมิตร สตาร์ อัลไลแอนซ์ โดยยกเว้นสิทธิ์การรับ Threshold โบนัสไมล์ สิทธิ์ใหม่ในการอัพเกรดชั้นโดยสารและการแลกรางวัลบัต รโดยสารบนเที่ยวบินของการบินไทยโดยใช้ไมล์ลดพิเ ศษ 50% ประจำปี 2566 (Platinum / Gold Award 2024)
Members will be entitled for extra baggage allowance, most priority services, and access to lounges operated by THAI, THAI Smile, and Star Alliance, with exception of the Threshold Bonus miles, Complimentary Upgrade, and the right of the year 2023 to redeem a reduced 50% award ticket on THAI (Platinum / Gold Award 2024).

• สำหรับสมาชิกบัตรทองและบัตรแพลทินัม ที่สามารถรักษาสถานภาพสมาชิกจากการบินหรือสะสมไมล์ตา มหลักเกณฑ์ที่กำหนดไว้ได้ด้วยตนเอง รวมถึงยังไม่เคยได้รับการต่ออายุบัตรทองตามมาตรการผล กระทบจาก COVID-19 ก่อนหน้านี้ ท่านจะได้รับการต่อสถานภาพสมาชิกไปอีก 2 ปี นับจากวันที่สถานภาพสมาชิกปัจจุบันของท่านหมดอา ยุลง จนถึงปี 2566
- For Platinum and Gold members who could attain or renew status from normal criteria in 2021 and have not been received card status extension policy from COVID-19 before, their card status will be specially extended for 2 years, to the year 2025 (subject to personal card expiry date).
Well, this also says that the status will be extended for 2 years, but until 2566, which is 2023 not 2025 as in English. And the extension to 2566 (2023) is only 1 year not 2 years.

โดยสมาชิกจะได้รับสิทธิประโยชน์ทุกประเภทจากสถานภาพช ิกบัตรแพลทินัมหรือบัตรทองของท่านยกเว้น Threshold โบนัสไมล์
Members will be entitled for full benefits of Platinum and Gold membership status, with exception of the Threshold Bonus miles.

สำหรับสมาชิกที่ได้รับสิทธิ์การแลกรางวัล Platinum / Gold Award 2022 (รางวัลบัตรโดยสารบนเที่ยวบินของการบินไทยโดยใช้ไมล์ ลดพิเศษ 50%) แต่ยังไม่ได้ใช้สิทธิ์แลกรางวัล ท่านยังคงสามารถใช้สิทธิ์ดังกล่าวได้ถึง 30 มิถุนายน 2566
For Platinum and Gold members who are entitled for Platinum and Gold Award 2022 (a reduced 50% award ticket on THAI) and have not yet redeemed it, the redemption period will be specially extended to 30 June 2023.

การปรับขยายอายุสถานภาพสมาชิกจะเกิดขึ้นหลังจากที่สถ านภาพสมาชิกปัจจุบันของท่านหมดอายุลง โดยการต่อสถานภาพสมาชิกจะถูกดำเนินการโดยอัตโนม ัติ ซึ่งท่านไม่จำเป็นต้องมาติดต่อกับเจ้าหน้าที่แต่อย่า งใด
Your membership tier status will be adjusted after the expiry date of the current one. This is an automatic process, no further action by members is required. Therefore, you do not need to contact us for extending validity of the membership tier status.

บริษัทฯ หวังเป็นอย่างยิ่งว่าการดำเนินการดังกล่าวจะช่วยให้ท ่านสมาชิก รอยัล ออร์คิด พลัส ได้มีระยะเวลาในการวางแผนการเดินทางและใช้สิทธิประโย ชน์จากสถานภาพสมาชิกของท่านได้เพิ่มมากขึ้น และหวังเป็นอย่างยิ่งว่าจะได้มีโอกาสต้อนรับท่านด้วย บริการเอื้องหลวงของการบินไทย ในอนาคตอันใกล้นี้
We hope the above measure can provide ample time for your plan to travel and use the benefits from your membership tier status. We look forward to having you on board THAI once again in the near future.

* มีเงื่อนไขเป็นไปตามที่บริษัทฯ กำหนด และอาจมีการเปลี่ยนแปลงตามสถานการณ์ในแต่ละช่วง เวลา
* Terms & Conditions apply. THAI reserves the right to change from time to time basis.

อัพเดตล่าสุด 02 ธันวาคม 2565
Last update : 02 December 2022

Basically, the rest are the same though.
restlessinRNO and BinSabai like this.

Last edited by grwnnwt; Dec 4, 2022 at 7:38 am
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:35 am

duplicate

Last edited by grwnnwt; Dec 4, 2022 at 2:45 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Dec 5, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by maerim
Latest information on website as follows. I was welcomed as a Platinum Member which I have been for several years on last night's flight, but having read recent posts checked my profile and it now shows Gold. Suspect that this is automatic and does not take account of the following.

'The ongoing spread of COVID-19 pandemic provides long-term effects on air travelling. This situation may cause our valued members not able to use travel benefits from Royal Orchid Plus membership cards as frequently as usual, so we specially considered extending validity of Platinum and Gold membership tier status as follows.

Note:

Last update : 02 December 2022'
ROP website shows that I am back to Platinum today.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long was the 'downtime' ?! Won't help me as I rollover on 31 Dec and but fly 01 Jan early morning.... oh well.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TG*G
Showing as back to Gold as well, and until 2024 which was a nice surprise. I was under the assumption I get only 1 extra year of *G. (Have been moving most of my flying to OneWorld since before Covid, so having an extra 2 years of *G access is very much appreciated)
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:50 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Emailed and received the extension through Dec 2023. My app now shows gold rather than silver.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reporting my Gold extension experience. My rollover is Dec 31, annoying as I fly BKK-UBP on Jan 1 at 0700.

At 14:00 on Dec 31 I noted my app showed ‘base member’. However, at 04:30 on Jan 1 I was back to Gold. Kudos to TG for actually having an automatic process that works
yosithezet and BinSabai like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: TG*Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Reporting my Gold extension experience. My rollover is Dec 31, annoying as I fly BKK-UBP on Jan 1 at 0700.

At 14:00 on Dec 31 I noted my app showed ‘base member’. However, at 04:30 on Jan 1 I was back to Gold. Kudos to TG for actually having an automatic process that works
I can see on my account today I am also Base Member. I asked THAI before end of Nov to extend my GUPS but during that weak communication in Europe or any contacts via emails to THAI seems to be useless. Ive just gave up.
Happy I got new Gold in different Program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.