New TG Lounge Taking Shape At BKK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: TG*G , PR Classic
Of course lounge is the one of money generator est 27 usd per person
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I disagree entirely. My $$ spend to achieve ROP Gold well exceeds that spent by a non-status business class passenger. But that is my biased (loyalty-orientated) perspective
^

Isn‘t that the old story: Those who don‘t have status wish the best benefits should be provided based on cabin class only. It’s, however, the end of any loyalty program, because why should we show any loyalty, if we get lounge access with any airline just through a J or F ticket?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
I disagree entirely. My $$ spend to achieve ROP Gold well exceeds that spent by a non-status business class passenger. But that is my biased (loyalty-orientated) perspective
Our $$ spend (well over $125,000/year on United alone) to achieve status (now Lifetime GS with United) far exceeds the majority of anyone in this forum (including MP forum), let alone those flying heavily in Y, enough to achieve Gold status. My Partner has done over 5.5mm on United, >1mm on CX, >1mm on BA, I manage all his travel needs so I do know a thing or two about LOYALTY. Count me in as one of the "loyalty-oriented" - I'm just not loyal to TG

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Isn‘t that the old story: Those who don‘t have status wish the best benefits should be provided based on cabin class only. It’s, however, the end of any loyalty program, because why should we show any loyalty, if we get lounge access with any airline just through a J or F ticket?
I do NOT disagree with you. To the contrary I totally agree! I guess I just wasn't being clear and left out my train of thoughts when I quickly posted my reply. What I had in mind was that since TG has many lounges in BKK, why not make this new one (or any other for that matter) an exclusive lounge just for J and F pax. Heck I wouldn't mind even if it was exclusive to only TG J and F or just F - just like LH's First terminal in FRA.

To be clear, this is coming from my business point of view, not as a paying pax. Something to differentiate. An attraction/reward to premium flyers - to generate more revenue. Think about it, most TG lounges are mediocre at best, even the F lounge. Make this new one truly premium, with food, beverages, decor and the whole enchilada. It won't be sustainable, business-wise, if anyone with mere Gold status are allowed access.

It will also be the end of any Loyalty program if one just do mileage runs just to get the status and then start to demand heaven and earth because they are now so and so. That's why many airlines are starting to impose qualifying $$$ spend on top of BIS miles to achieve status. It won't be long before TG follow suit.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:09 pm

I suspect that a lot of passengers are unaware of those additional TG lounges, in C and elsewhere. Probably they through the priority immigration at the far end of the terminal, see the sign for the lounge, go down the escalator into it assuming it to be the only one. Perhaps one of the reasons why it is so horrendously crowded and the others usually, but not always, less so.
At least they are making some effort with the food. For 25 years they tried to get away with crappy sweet corn and mayo sandwiches and sugary danish. Now the food is passable, albeit barely.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Our $$ spend (well over $125,000/year on United alone) to achieve status (now Lifetime GS with United) far exceeds the majority of anyone in this forum (including MP forum), let alone those flying heavily in Y, enough to achieve Gold status. My Partner has done over 5.5mm on United, >1mm on CX, >1mm on BA, I manage all his travel needs so I do know a thing or two about LOYALTY. Count me in as one of the "loyalty-oriented" - I'm just not loyal to TG
ummmm - well, jolly good for you and your partner......but unless you post copies of bank receipts and airline status screens shots., I am afraid I cannot take just your word on this information (especially the outrageous claim that your spend far exceeds the majority of anybody in this forum - how could you possibly know?!). Still, made me smile

I do NOT disagree with you. To the contrary I totally agree! I guess I just wasn't being clear and left out my train of thoughts when I quickly posted my reply. What I had in mind was that since TG has many lounges in BKK, why not make this new one (or any other for that matter) an exclusive lounge just for J and F pax. Heck I wouldn't mind even if it was exclusive to only TG J and F or just F - just like LH's First terminal in FRA.
be clear, this is coming from my business point of view, not as a paying pax. Something to differentiate. An attraction/reward to premium flyers - to generate more revenue. Think about it, most TG lounges are mediocre at best, even the F lounge. Make this new one truly premium, with food, beverages, decor and the whole enchilada. It won't be sustainable, business-wise, if anyone with mere Gold status are allowed access.
I understand your point - but I'd suggest TG needs to improve the the existing Royal Silk/Orchid/First Lounges rather then create some new lounge that would satisfy more passengers perhaps than a new THAI 'elite' lounge

will also be the end of any Loyalty program if one just do mileage runs just to get the status and then start to demand heaven and earth because they are now so and so. That's why many airlines are starting to impose qualifying $$$ spend on top of BIS miles to achieve status. It won't be long before TG follow suit.
Can you provide any evidence to support your first sentence? Is the imposition of $ qualifying spend a largely US phenomenon? (I don't know)
andyptrav likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:01 am

ummmm - well, jolly good for you and your partner......but unless you post copies of bank receipts and airline status screens shots., I am afraid I cannot take just your word on this information (especially the outrageous claim that your spend far exceeds the majority of anybody in this forum - how could you possibly know?!). Still, made me smile

I understand your point - but I'd suggest TG needs to improve the the existing Royal Silk/Orchid/First Lounges rather then create some new lounge that would satisfy more passengers perhaps than a new THAI 'elite' lounge

Can you provide any evidence to support your first sentence? Is the imposition of $ qualifying spend a largely US phenomenon? (I don't know)
Well, you asked for it, so here it is for 2018:

Name and A/C # is taken out for obvious reasons. PQD does NOT include tax.

Here's 2017 which doesn't show PQD amount (which was $130,731 - again, tax not included):

I keep a detailed Excel spreadsheet of all the *A flights taken, all the way back to 2012. Here's 2017 year end summary:

Outrageous claim that we outspend the majority here? The majority of GS qualifiers on the board worries about being re-invited at $50K level... the 1K mileage runners whine about $15K spend to qualify...

I don't have time to redact names, flight numbers, ticket numbers to post credit card statements. Ever since I moved from Chase Sapphire to Amex Plat (for 5X points on airline spend vs 3X), the monthly statement provides very detailed information about every ticket purchase!

My partner spent so much with United at one point his NAME was painted (when UA was still doing so) on an A319 - and have I pictures & a certificate from United to prove it. At United forum, Tom Stucker is currently the #1 BIS flyer @ over 20M, yes 20 million BUTT IN SEAT miles. My partner is #2 .

And how about redeeming miles to fly on the Concorde???? Well, that's another story.

Anyway, this is not a pissing contest. I'm merely responding to the notion that I was not "loyal-oriented" - I go out of my way to put everything on 016- stock ticket!

As for your last question - just read what's going on in the forums! I might not post much, but I've been a member since 2005 and seen (read) and learned so many things here. And last, but not least... yes, US airlines are going that route now - revenue base loyalty scheme.

Last edited by kittiyut; Feb 17, 2019 at 4:25 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:02 am

......but unless you post copies of bank receipts and airline status screens shots., I am afraid I cannot take just your word on this information (especially the outrageous claim that your spend far exceeds the majority of anybody in this forum - how could you possibly know?!). Still, made me smile
Oh what the heck... since you asked for it....

That was the statement for January 2019 - Just last month.

You are right, outrageous indeed.... the amount spent for flights!!!

Anyway, with that being out of the way, perhaps we can go back to the topic of TG lounges?

All of them are in dire need of a refurbishment - that's for sure!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Oh what the heck... since you asked for it....

That was the statement for January 2019 - Just last month.

You are right, outrageous indeed.... the amount spent for flights!!!

Anyway, with that being out of the way, perhaps we can go back to the topic of TG lounges?

All of them are in dire need of a refurbishment - that's for sure!
If I may ask, what is your job title, I would like to have a job like you!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@kittiyut. I was trying to be ‘tongue in cheek’ - sorry if my attempt at antipodean humour missed the mark. Still, we do agree that THAI lounges need improvement

I would have no objection if you wanted to remove the detail you posted, if only to save others the extensive scrolling through your information (no miles to be earned doing that).

Cheers, TK
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Could we maybe get this thread back on topic? - I am sure I am not alone in not giving a rat’s behind about someone’s AMEX statements, let alone someone being the (alleged) number two most travelling on an online forum... Especially when it’s UA which to me is like the seventh circle of hell!
andyptrav and Flyingbiker like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps someone traveling through BKK soon could ask staff (preferably management) for some information on the construction - either TG or Airport Staff.

It would be of particular interest to know what plans are following the opening of this new lounge - eg is the main D lounge planned for refurbishment?
Old May 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TPJ
I guess TG is worried more *G passengers skip TG lounges as alternatives are available. No hard evidence, though...
I believe TG will have to pay other airlines when their J or F passengers use the lounges of other *A airlines.
They probably now realise it might be cheaper to improve their own lounges instead of paying other airlines in addition to maintaining mediocre lounges of their own.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: TG*G , PR Classic
Originally Posted by spk307
I believe TG will have to pay other airlines when their J or F passengers use the lounges of other *A airlines.
They probably now realise it might be cheaper to improve their own lounges instead of paying other airlines in addition to maintaining mediocre lounges of their own.
Yes, Correct for Star Business Class 27 USD/Pax
Old May 5, 2019, 4:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Earlier today I passed by the lounge. Info on the entrance reads that work is to be finished in November 2018. They even provided an exact date - November 30, 2018. Who is veryyy surprised
worldclubber likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TPJ
Earlier today I passed by the lounge. Info on the entrance reads that work is to be finished in November 2018. They even provided an exact date - November 30, 2018. Who is veryyy surprised
They're behind schedule on updating the sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.