Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garlic bread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Garlic bread

I always used to enjoy TG's hot, crunchy garlic bread in business class. Like the hot towels, it was a nice little touch that Thai managed to do well when others inexplicably manage to do them poorly. Then the garlic bread disappeared for a few years.

On my latest TG flight, it was back!

Is the garlic bread generally available again? (If so, I'm surprised nobody mentioned it.)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
garlic bread is/was always available (at least in F and J), but it is not always hot or crunchy
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
garlic bread is/was always available (at least in F and J)
It wasn't available on any of my TG flights in J in 2017. (flights to/from NRT, HKG, MEL, PER)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Fascinating, I am pretty sure it was available on every THAI flight I took in 2017/2018 BKK-AKL/OSL/ICN/HKG and vv (and maybe even to/from) SIN. But I'd need to review my photos.

Along with BinSabai's impressions, I have experienced great variability: warm/crunchy, warm/soft, cold/very soft.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:10 am
Original Poster

I guess maybe I was just unlucky? Most of my flights last year were shortly after the samrab setup appeared, so I had assumed they had cut back on bread options with that change. My last TG flight last year was in December BKK-PER and none then either.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:11 am

When offered the bread basket I always fall for the garlic bread, because it looks different from all the various rolls, and because garlic bread can be very nice.
Every time I regret my choice when I find only one side is toasted, and the garlic butter is so meagre. I promise myself I will never choose it again, only to find that the next time I make the same mistake.
I must be either a slow learner or very forgetful.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I never really understood people's fascination with garlic bread while flying. Over on the United forum it is the endless complaints that the garlic bread on a given flight is not like the one out of Narita

But mostly it just reminds me of horrible food in places that were hip at the height of the 80's

​​​​But maybe that's just me being picky

​​​​​
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by BinSabai
garlic bread is/was always available (at least in F and J), but it is not always hot or crunchy
So true. When prepared correctly it is a treat. When it isn't, I leave it but am somewhat consoled by having consumed fewer carbs.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I never really understood people's fascination with garlic bread while flying. Over on the United forum it is the endless complaints that the garlic bread on a given flight is not like the one out of Narita​​​​​
For me, part of it is that I enjoy garlic bread enough to overlook, or even displace, a mediocre meal. It's a pleasant little constant, though others have reported less consistency than I've experienced.

Meal's not great? Just order more garlic bread! A plain bread roll, even warm, just doesn't fill the void as well.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kremmen
For me, part of it is that I enjoy garlic bread enough to overlook, or even displace, a mediocre meal. It's a pleasant little constant, though others have reported less consistency than I've experienced.

Meal's not great? Just order more garlic bread! A plain bread roll, even warm, just doesn't fill the void as well.
It can at times be a safer choice than some of the meals served by some airlines I probably just have too many negative associations with the concept of garlic bread
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
well garlic bread, despite it's inconsistency is often the best choice among the offered bread types, even in F.
choices of bread is among the biggest weakness of TG's catering

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.