FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Garlic bread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1914107-garlic-bread.html)

Kremmen Jun 13, 2018 8:52 am

Garlic bread

I always used to enjoy TG's hot, crunchy garlic bread in business class. Like the hot towels, it was a nice little touch that Thai managed to do well when others inexplicably manage to do them poorly. Then the garlic bread disappeared for a few years.

On my latest TG flight, it was back!

Is the garlic bread generally available again? (If so, I'm surprised nobody mentioned it.)

BinSabai Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm

garlic bread is/was always available (at least in F and J), but it is not always hot or crunchy

Kremmen Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 29864354)
garlic bread is/was always available (at least in F and J)

It wasn't available on any of my TG flights in J in 2017. (flights to/from NRT, HKG, MEL, PER)

Thai-Kiwi Jun 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Fascinating, I am pretty sure it was available on every THAI flight I took in 2017/2018 BKK-AKL/OSL/ICN/HKG and vv (and maybe even to/from) SIN. But I'd need to review my photos.

Along with BinSabai's impressions, I have experienced great variability: warm/crunchy, warm/soft, cold/very soft.

Kremmen Jun 14, 2018 12:10 am

I guess maybe I was just unlucky? Most of my flights last year were shortly after the samrab setup appeared, so I had assumed they had cut back on bread options with that change. My last TG flight last year was in December BKK-PER and none then either.

11277m Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am

When offered the bread basket I always fall for the garlic bread, because it looks different from all the various rolls, and because garlic bread can be very nice.
Every time I regret my choice when I find only one side is toasted, and the garlic butter is so meagre. I promise myself I will never choose it again, only to find that the next time I make the same mistake.
I must be either a slow learner or very forgetful.

CPH-Flyer Jun 14, 2018 3:39 am

I never really understood people's fascination with garlic bread while flying. Over on the United forum it is the endless complaints that the garlic bread on a given flight is not like the one out of Narita

But mostly it just reminds me of horrible food in places that were hip at the height of the 80's

​​​​But maybe that's just me being picky :D

​​​​​

UAuhoh Jun 14, 2018 3:50 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai (Post 29864354)
garlic bread is/was always available (at least in F and J), but it is not always hot or crunchy

So true. When prepared correctly it is a treat. When it isn't, I leave it but am somewhat consoled by having consumed fewer carbs.

Kremmen Jun 14, 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29865259)
I never really understood people's fascination with garlic bread while flying. Over on the United forum it is the endless complaints that the garlic bread on a given flight is not like the one out of Narita​​​​​

For me, part of it is that I enjoy garlic bread enough to overlook, or even displace, a mediocre meal. It's a pleasant little constant, though others have reported less consistency than I've experienced.

Meal's not great? Just order more garlic bread! A plain bread roll, even warm, just doesn't fill the void as well.

CPH-Flyer Jun 14, 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen (Post 29865508)
For me, part of it is that I enjoy garlic bread enough to overlook, or even displace, a mediocre meal. It's a pleasant little constant, though others have reported less consistency than I've experienced.

Meal's not great? Just order more garlic bread! A plain bread roll, even warm, just doesn't fill the void as well.

It can at times be a safer choice than some of the meals served by some airlines I probably just have too many negative associations with the concept of garlic bread

BinSabai Jun 14, 2018 7:02 am

well garlic bread, despite it's inconsistency is often the best choice among the offered bread types, even in F.
choices of bread is among the biggest weakness of TG's catering