Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
You can pay monthly (I do) and I suppose that means you could start and stop.

Frankly, for the price of 2 coffees a month for my monthly subscription I have no objection if I have a few 'slow months' in terms of getting value from the subscription.
Thank you. I have no doubt that it can be invaluable if needed even once a month, but I would only ever use it when looking for award availability or upgrades. I might use it only two or three months of the year.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: Emirates Gold
Just a quickie. Do Emirates operate FC to Dubai out of Birmingham ?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by chelseastu
Just a quickie. Do Emirates operate FC to Dubai out of Birmingham ?
why don't you ask in the Emirates Forum?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hello everybody,

TL;DR: Where can I read summary of TG's FFP, tiers and requirements? I am considering TG because have heard (this is why asked) that TG allows *G if during 2 years one flies 80K miles.

Now long explanation - about myself - based in SIN, every year I have 1-2 flights to SFO (combination of UA/NH), 2 flights to FRA/ZRH (LH) and might be one flight to GRU/POA.

I was/am with UA last 14 years and last 7 years I have the above mentioned flight patterns. In past years I was flying more - double of listed above but now above is what I get.

This year I had to do MR to get my *G qualification because number of flights I took earned 0 PQMs - all above flights are booked for business travel and must be booked at corp travel portal without an option to select booking class - cheapest flights only.

So with the above requirements looking for a new FFP. With UA I can't make *G, SQ is not even an option because the flight I will book will earn 10% of the actual miles.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
why don't you ask in the Emirates Forum?
Good call. Sorry, didn't realise I was in the wrong forum!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Hello everybody,

TL;DR: Where can I read summary of TG's FFP, tiers and requirements? I am considering TG because have heard (this is why asked) that TG allows *G if during 2 years one flies 80K miles.

Now long explanation - about myself - based in SIN, every year I have 1-2 flights to SFO (combination of UA/NH), 2 flights to FRA/ZRH (LH) and might be one flight to GRU/POA.

I was/am with UA last 14 years and last 7 years I have the above mentioned flight patterns. In past years I was flying more - double of listed above but now above is what I get.

This year I had to do MR to get my *G qualification because number of flights I took earned 0 PQMs - all above flights are booked for business travel and must be booked at corp travel portal without an option to select booking class - cheapest flights only.

So with the above requirements looking for a new FFP. With UA I can't make *G, SQ is not even an option because the flight I will book will earn 10% of the actual miles.
TG Gold requirements are well summarised on the THAI website; 50k qualifying miles in 12 months, or 80k in 24 months. I am sure that with 3000+ posts you can figure it out yourself, and ask some focussed questions for the stuff that isn't so clear.

You will need to check the ROP earning table for earn on partner airlines, otherwise you may strike the same issue with discounted corporate fares earning poorly into ROP.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:14 am

Booked Thai Smile Seam Reap to Bangkok and Thai Airways Bangkok to Vienna separate. Will we be able to stay in international transit area or will we need to immigrate, get our luggage and check in again? If it matter, I have a *a gold card.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by 31570324
Booked Thai Smile Seam Reap to Bangkok and Thai Airways Bangkok to Vienna separate. Will we be able to stay in international transit area or will we need to immigrate, get our luggage and check in again? If it matter, I have a *a gold card.
your *A Goldcard does not matter in this case! TG is usually very generous on checking through luggage even with separate ticket. I hope for you this is extended as well to Thai Smile, which is a daughter Company of TG
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:48 pm

your *A Goldcard does not matter in this case! TG is usually very generous on checking through luggage even with separate ticket. I hope for you this is extended as well to Thai Smile, which is a daughter Company of TG
I hope so to, but would be nice to know it
We have enough time to go through immigration, pick the luggage up and check in again, but if we could avoid a stamp in our passport it would be nicer.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 31570324
I'd put money on being able to get bags checked through however you won't get *G tags nor any benefits in REP. You will get lounge access in BKK.
31570324 and BinSabai like this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:23 am

Rookie mistake on my part. In a slight rush to get a seat before the United Deval, I booked a mixed award seat ticket through united for three people. I noticed a few days later that there are business class seats for 2 people; unfortunately United does not allow 2 passengers out of 3 to be upgraded to business. Does Thai Airways release additional business class seats when the flight is closer to departure (say a week or two?)

I read later that they occasionally release additional business seats after 2 seats are booked, but uh... that does me no good haha.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by buggy51
Rookie mistake on my part. In a slight rush to get a seat before the United Deval, I booked a mixed award seat ticket through united for three people. I noticed a few days later that there are business class seats for 2 people; unfortunately United does not allow 2 passengers out of 3 to be upgraded to business. Does Thai Airways release additional business class seats when the flight is closer to departure (say a week or two?)

I read later that they occasionally release additional business seats after 2 seats are booked, but uh... that does me no good haha.
your question is not very clear. Do you mean whether TG allow 3 J award seats on the same flight for the same account?
I thought that you want to burn UA miles? so you have to go through UA and are dependent on their rules. Or do you want to get 2 through UA miles and one by TG miles?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:40 am

your question is not very clear. Do you mean whether TG allow 3 J award seats on the same flight for the same account?
I thought that you want to burn UA miles? so you have to go through UA and are dependent on their rules. Or do you want to get 2 through UA miles and one by TG miles?
Sorry for any confusion. Let me start over.

I booked a mixed award (economy + business) flight through United Airlines for a flight that is partnered with Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines for three people that is on one record locator. I have read that you can upgrade your economy segment when there are free seats without any additional charge/change in miles because the whole portion is a business flight. Currently there are 2 business class seats on the TG segment, but in order for UA to actually upgrade me, there needs to be 3 business class seats available. From what I later read, Thai airways typically releases only 2 business class seats, and if there is any additional availability will release more after the first 2 are taken. According to United, I am unable to have 2 people upgraded on the TG segment to business class because there are 3 people on the same segment and they will not allow 2 to be on business and one on economy.

My main question now is whether or not Thai Airways actually releases 3 business class seats when it is closer to the departure date rather than keeping it only 2 and release additional seats once those 2 are taken if there is availability.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by buggy51
Sorry for any confusion. Let me start over.

I booked a mixed award (economy + business) flight through United Airlines for a flight that is partnered with Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines for three people that is on one record locator. I have read that you can upgrade your economy segment when there are free seats without any additional charge/change in miles because the whole portion is a business flight. Currently there are 2 business class seats on the TG segment, but in order for UA to actually upgrade me, there needs to be 3 business class seats available. From what I later read, Thai airways typically releases only 2 business class seats, and if there is any additional availability will release more after the first 2 are taken. According to United, I am unable to have 2 people upgraded on the TG segment to business class because there are 3 people on the same segment and they will not allow 2 to be on business and one on economy.

My main question now is whether or not Thai Airways actually releases 3 business class seats when it is closer to the departure date rather than keeping it only 2 and release additional seats once those 2 are taken if there is availability.
No never seen it. Only release 2 at a time generally. I would split your bookings. Get the 2 tickets locked in all business. Then book the 3rd separately. The extra seat may or may not have opened up if available when you go to book the 3rd after you exhaust the 2 seats in the first booking.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by travelislife
No never seen it. Only release 2 at a time generally. I would split your bookings. Get the 2 tickets locked in all business. Then book the 3rd separately. The extra seat may or may not have opened up if available when you go to book the 3rd after you exhaust the 2 seats in the first booking.
Ideally that's what OP could do but I don't think UA will split an award so long as there's a single segment that's non-UA.

The only thing to do would be cancel and re-book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.