Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Thai Airways? Please post your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
I actually prefer the "old" 10F configuration on a day flight as it makes the cabin look more spacious and you can talk with each other in opposite to the 9F suites Version, where you can feel a bit caged sometimes.
Agree! Especially if you are travelling with someone and would like to dine together, the new F on the 747 is pretty uncomfortable for the person sitting in the "buddy seat" to say the least.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: TG Gold member
Upgrading an economy ticket

I am a TG Gold member and have purchased an economy ticket (BKK to KUL). Is there any way of bidding on an upgrade to business class or purchasing an upgrade ticket prior to the flight? I do not want to use points.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by oldmicah
I am a TG Gold member and have purchased an economy ticket (BKK to KUL). Is there any way of bidding on an upgrade to business class or purchasing an upgrade ticket prior to the flight? I do not want to use points.
There are 2 ways that don't use points (and excluding a free 'operational upgrade').

First is a 'Standby Upgrade' only available at the airport. You pay a fee to fly in the business cabin, but mileage remains at the economy rate. The rates depends on which economy class sub-fare you have (Y, B, M, H, Q, T, K, V, W, L etc). In some cases economy fares will not be upgradeable. Cost THB 1400-6600 (see below)

Read about standby upgrades here: http://www.thaiairways.com/en_AU/pla...obusiness.page

Second is to simply buy -up to a business class ticket. You'll pay the fare difference and a fee, and your new ticket will be issued in business class and earn miles at the business rate. Your economy ticket must have no restrictions that prohibit this (some of the deeply discounted economy fares). In some cases it will be cheaper to cancel the economy ticket and buy a business ticket.
Attached Images  
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:02 pm

In my experience the standby upgrades rarely make sense from Economy to Business on these regional flights. Usually you end up paying about the same as confirmed J, but it is not confirmed and you only get Y mileage accrual.

Standby upgrades do make sense on long haul flights when they sometimes cost less than regular J and F fares.

For KUL, I would suggest buying J if you definitely want it. Otherwise, you could just get a good seat in Y as ROP Gold, and hope for an upgrade.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:40 am

Thai currency converter?

When trying to book a flight, the Thai Airways site consistently shows me a converted rate to USD which is much lower than the current exchange rate. I know that it says: "The currency converter is meant only as an indicative tool for travellers based on the latest information available and should not be relied on upon for any other purposes." When I purchase a ticket, will my credit card be billed in Thai Baht and converted by the credit card company to USD at the current higher exchange rate or will my card be billed in $ at something close to the rate listed on their site? Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Billing usually happens in the currency of the originating country, or in USD for some exceptions eg Cambodia, VietNam (there are others).

I used a NZ card to buy flights Bangkok to Singapore, which was billed in THB and converted to NZD by my card company. My flights from NZ to Bangkok were priced in NZD and since I used my NZ card, there were no currency exchange issues.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Billing usually happens in the currency of the originating country, or in USD for some exceptions eg Cambodia, VietNam (there are others).

I used a NZ card to buy flights Bangkok to Singapore, which was billed in THB and converted to NZD by my card company. My flights from NZ to Bangkok were priced in NZD and since I used my NZ card, there were no currency exchange issues.
This is my experience too - billing currency usually follows country of origin, and the e-ticket will be issued by the corresponding local Thai Airways office (if there is one). Naturally, there are exceptions, as Thai-Kiwi mentions.

dkayford, what is the originating country of the flight you are looking to book? - Then we might be able to help you find out.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:30 am

Flight

My flight is KTM to BKK
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:39 am

If I price up a dummy reservation KTM-BKK on thaiairways.com (on the Thailand site), it is priced in Nepalese Rupees, so I would strongly expect you to be charged in that currency if completing that booking.
For comparison, doing the same on a booking originating in Cambodia, this comes out in USD (as Thai-Kiwi already mentioned).

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:27 am

Did Thai pull the ability to pre-order biz class meals?

I've got a BKK-MEL round trip coming up, I can't pre order bkk-mel but i can order mel-bkk, weird, or am I just getting TG'd?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Did Thai pull the ability to pre-order biz class meals?

I've got a BKK-MEL round trip coming up, I can't pre order bkk-mel but i can order mel-bkk, weird, or am I just getting TG'd?
last week I also could not pre oder for a F flight online; emailed them and got confirmation within one hour and the meal was on board

sometimes their website has bugs, in particular after recent relaunch
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
I don't have any issue ordering any meals on my three upcoming F flights. Are you trying to select your meal while you're in the "manage booking" page or under the dedicated meal pre-order page? Try the link below.
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_US/Ma...ng_tab_3.page?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 am

last week I also could not pre oder for a F flight online; emailed them and got confirmation within one hour and the meal was on board

sometimes their website has bugs, in particular after recent relaunch
I am having similar issues. Out of 4 legs on TG the requests are online only shown for 2 legs. Called local Thai office and they send me a copy directly out of Amadeus where everything is displayed correctly. The 2 other legs on LH are also shown online correctly.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by therossinator
I don't have any issue ordering any meals on my three upcoming F flights. Are you trying to select your meal while you're in the "manage booking" page or under the dedicated meal pre-order page? Try the link below.
https://www.thaiairways.com/en_US/Ma...ng_tab_3.page?
I tried both and even a third approach but I could not select any...
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:14 am

I tried both and even a third approach but I could not select any...
Yeah, it's SUPER weird, I'll try to order from the flights DEPARTING BKK, and it defaults to Yangon. Just when you thought you've beat the website, it's got another bug. I'll try giving them a call or email to get the menu.

It's just funny, TPE and MLE departing cities pulls the menu NO PROBLEM, but all the menus from BKK, defaults to Yangon.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.