TG Smile move to DMK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:13 am
hco
Original Poster

Programs: SAS *G
TG Smile move to DMK

Here we go...

"THAI Smile, a unit of Thai Airways International, will move some of its operations from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Don Mueang Airport this month.

The airline schedules a press conference tomorrow. It is learnt that flights to and from Phuket, Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen will be operated at Don Mueang Airport, from August 8 onwards.

The airline plans to move all operations to the old airport this winter. "
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:14 am
hco
Original Poster

TG Smile move to DMK

The Nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/THAI-Smile-moving-to-Don-Mueang-30239862.html
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
KKC does not have customs and was at DMK years ago when most of TG's operations moved to BKK.

However, a big however, HKT and CNX are massive for international connections and these are the last flights I'd predict would be moved to DMK.

What an odd choice.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
KKC does not have customs and was at DMK years ago when most of TG's operations moved to BKK.

However, a big however, HKT and CNX are massive for international connections and these are the last flights I'd predict would be moved to DMK.

What an odd choice.
Yeah, no kidding, unless TG is going to do something like a 2x connector each day out of BKK, and run WE on a separate schedule.

And 8/8? So people are going to find out eight days out that they need to do a DMK-BKK transit? What happens if you're on a perfectly legal 60 to 90 minute connection at BKK?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Just going by what's been written in the newspapers so far here. Don't know why THAI Smile needs to go to Don Mueang to be able to compete. This idea of moving Smile reportedly came from the NCPO leader (who is now THAI's board chairman too.) I'd think it would be an advantage to THAI Smile to operate out of Suvarnabhumi for numerous reasons, including differentiating their product from all the other LCC's, besides just basic connectivity with THAI. Think I'd be upset about this move if I lived in Pattaya, Chonburi, or eastern Bangkok.

It's most curious how this is happening. Just a few days ago, the Bangkok Post reported that NCPO leader/THAI Board chairman Prajin floated the idea of moving THAI Smile to Don Mueang, and ordered THAI executives to prepare a report with details for the board meeting on August 14th. Now they appear to be putting a plan into effect immediately, with flight changes occurring in less than 10 days, and well before that board meeting takes place.

It's also curious as to who legally runs THAI now: the shareholders and board of directors, or the NCPO? While the government is THAI's majority shareholder, it doesn't appear any board or shareholder votes have taken place on this move to relocate THAI Smile. Is the board upholding it's fiduciary duty to shareholders (if that concept applies to THAI corporate law, as it does to western corporate law)? Or for that matter, is it able to?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
As for operations at Khon Kaen, I was just looking at schedules a few months out, and they have a mix of THAI A330's and THAI Smile A320 aircraft going there daily. So after August 8th, one would have to guess that Khon Kaen would be getting served from both DMK and BKK via THAI and THAI Smile.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Can it get any more ridiculous?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
I am sure they do their very best......
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, no kidding, unless TG is going to do something like a 2x connector each day out of BKK, and run WE on a separate schedule.

And 8/8? So people are going to find out eight days out that they need to do a DMK-BKK transit? What happens if you're on a perfectly legal 60 to 90 minute connection at BKK?
I'd be willing to wager this came straight from an astrologer or someone figured the date was auspicious*.

*Meaning some dolt who gets paid for knowing nothing.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
An other nail in Thai Airways' coffin.
I usually land at BKK Suvranabhumi around 07am and took the -+10 am Thai flight to UTH Udon Thani.
Then that -+10 flight disappeared and reappeared from schedule.
My 1st of June Thai Smile around 10.30 to UTH got cancelled and I was rescheduled onto the next flight at 13.30.

I am tired of this and booked a NOK air out of DMK around 10.15am, flying biz on EY I booked a free limo from BKK to DMK.

Thus no more BKK-UTH flights?
No more Thai domestic then, my last international Thai flight was 11 May 2000.
Doubt they will ever see me again with biz class prices 500+ euro above the competition
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tartempion

Thus no more BKK-UTH flights?
Is that a question or a statement?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
Yes - this is TG - I am sure they can be more ridiculous
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:24 am
hco
Original Poster

TG Smile move to DMK

Phuket Gazette has more info:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/thailand-business/THAIs-Smile-Air-poised-relocation-Don-Mueang/32367
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:42 am
hco
Original Poster

TG Smile move to DMK

Phuket Gazette:

"Operating costs at Don Mueang are lower so it can offer lower fares."
Sure, but you already have a profitable LCC there.

"We hope to grab passengers from our rivals, particularly AirAsia, which is now based at Don Mueang. We expect passenger numbers will improve by 20 per cent after moving to the new place," he said."
Ah! So what about international transfers on TG? Have they really analysed their passenger flows to Phuket/Chiang Mai correctly?

"On the international side, THAI will concentrate only on markets where it can draw premium passengers such as Japan, southern China, Scandinavia and Russia."

"We are now looking at it on a country-by-country basis so we can go straight to the right target. Premium passengers are our target now," he said. "
Alright, nothing wrong with that.

Premium passengers don't mind transfering to DMK and will of course stay loyal to TG [/sarc].

But sure, there will be a few true TG flights from BKK for premium int'l transfers. But fewer options. Not good.

"Our premium fare is already the most expensive among airlines in and out of Thailand, but we believe customers can afford it if they receive better service," he said"
Ah! They have analysed their competitors prices. But have they really analysed the level/quality of service?

Last edited by hco; Jul 31, 2014 at 2:48 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hco
Let's play Mad Libs.

On the international side, THAI will concentrate only on markets where it can draw premium passengers such as Japan, southern China, Scandinavia and Russia.
... and the other routes they currently fly will be ________ .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.