Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

TG First Class 747 - best seats for a couple?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TG First Class 747 - best seats for a couple?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I would suggest booking a pair of seats together if you want to chat for most of the flight. 1A/K are not that close... and noise travels. Your fellow passengers will probably appreciate you being as close together to keep the noise down
Agreed. Go with two center seats. My wife and I didn't this past December and regretted it - we have to get up to talk as we didn't want to shout.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:43 am

Is 1A considered the best seat for solo passengers?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Personal choice. 1A gets you a 'forward' view out of the windows but is closer to its neighbour compared with say 2A/K.

If you've never done 1A/K before I'd take them.

On the new configuration (semi-suites) 2A/K are slightly wider in terms of overall space.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
for solo passenger I would take a seat at the window. 1A/K is the most quiet
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:21 am
Suspended

would say 2A/K is best for solo passengers but this is just my personal opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BennyW
would say 2A/K is best for solo passengers but this is just my personal opinion.
why better then 1/3 A/K?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
why better then 1/3 A/K?
For me, 2A/K are farther apart, and farther away from adjoining seats. Row three is closer to its neighbours in the middle, and row 1 is narrower in terms of space (new suites).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Done this over 20 times, so here goes.....
New Config suits:
Row 1 - Narrower seats n closer to your neighbor, but great if you have never sat in it.
Overall, second best window seats.
Row 2- Wider seats, far from your neighbor (no neighbors!) and great if you have already tried 1A/K before. Overall, best window seats.
Row 3 - Wider seats but close to your neighbor and lavatories behind, worst window seats
Row 2 Center - Single seat, far from your neighbor (no neighbors!) and great if you are solo and have absolutely no desire to look out of a window.
Row 3 Center - Pair seats close to your neighbor on each side, lavatories behind, worst seats in the first cabin.

Old Config open seats:
Row 1 - Far from your neighbor, simply the best window seats. But, usually blocked for bassinet assignment.
Row 2- Similarly close to your neighbor, nothing great about them. Overall, second best window seats if 1A/K are not open/taken.
Row 3 - Very close to your neighbor and lavatories behind, worst window seats.
Row 2 Center - Pair seats, right next to your neighbor, but the best if you are travelling as a couple.
Row 3 Center - Pair seats close to your neighbor on each side, lavatories behind, worst seats in the first cabin. Usually taken if they are the only option left (last minute upgrades etc.)

In summary, IMHO best combos for a couple.
1. 1A/K (Old/New config)
2. 1A/2A or 1K/2K front n back on the same cabin side (New config)
3. 2E/2F (Old config)
4. 3E/3F (Old/New config)
5. Negotiate for both of you to swap into 3E/3F if you both couldnt secure window seats on one side of the cabin. That way, you can enjoy the misery of 3E/F together while sipping Dom...

Last edited by Tokyoite; Apr 12, 2017 at 5:04 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Done this over 20 times, so here goes.....
New Config suits:
Row 1 - Narrower seats n closer to your neighbor, but great if you have never sat in it.
Overall, second best window seats.
Row 2- Wider seats, far from your neighbor (no neighbors!) and great if you have already tried 1A/K before. Overall, best window seats.
Row 3 - Wider seats but close to your neighbor and lavatories behind, worst window seats
Row 2 Center - Single seat, far from your neighbor (no neighbors!) and great if you are solo and have absolutely no desire to look out of a window.
Row 3 Center - Pair seats close to your neighbor on each side, lavatories behind, worst seats in the first cabin.

Old Config open seats:
Row 1 - Far from your neighbor, simply the best window seats. But, usually blocked for bassinet assignment.
Row 2- Similarly close to your neighbor, nothing great about them. Overall, second best window seats if 1A/K are not open/taken.
Row 3 - Very close to your neighbor and lavatories behind, worst window seats.
Row 2 Center - Pair seats, right next to your neighbor, but the best if you are travelling as a couple.
Row 3 Center - Pair seats close to your neighbor on each side, lavatories behind, worst seats in the first cabin. Usually taken if they are the only option left (last minute upgrades etc.)

In summary, IMHO best combos for a couple.
1. 1A/K (Old/New config)
2. 1A/2A or 1K/2K front n back on the same cabin side (New config)
3. 2E/2F (Old config)
4. 3E/3F (Old/New config)
5. Negotiate for both of you to swap into 3E/3F if you both couldnt secure window seats on one side of the cabin. That way, you can enjoy the misery of 3E/F together while sipping Dom...

Good info. Is there a way to know if it will be the old config or new in advance? I have never flown it before and I guess I should do 1A but seeing 2A as the best overall seat as my 2nd guessing that.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you have not flown in 1A/K before, the opportunity to see forward as you fly is worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:22 am

Well, it depends on the definition of couple. If both you are dating or newly wed then you want to be closer to each other (seat 3E/F). If you are married for quite some time then you may want to be as far as possible (seat 2A/2k or 1A/1K)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the info...Just saw a video of someone sitting in 1A and is it me or does that seat seem really narrow? Are row 2/3 aligned differently? If so I should think about switching I don't care about "flying forward" I care more about where I am sitting for hours on end.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:47 pm

Good info. Is there a way to know if it will be the old config or new in advance? I have never flown it before and I guess I should do 1A but seeing 2A as the best overall seat as my 2nd guessing that.
see the seat map on Thai website and check if row 2 has E/F (old) or only E(new)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the info...Just saw a video of someone sitting in 1A and is it me or does that seat seem really narrow? Are row 2/3 aligned differently? If so I should think about switching I don't care about "flying forward" I care more about where I am sitting for hours on end.
Row 1 is not narrow to impact comfort. Simply clarifying that it is narrower than row 2. If you can get 2A/K....go ahead!
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Want to to travel from MUC to BKK to VTE in F/J. Does TG still use both old and new F on 747s out of MUC? Are we better off connecting through FRA to guarantee a new(er) F on the A380? Would prefer the 747 if we had the new suites.

When connecting from F to J in BKK will we have access to first class lounge?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.