Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai is getting VERY unattractive from London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai is getting VERY unattractive from London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Just a quick note.
I tried a dummy booking,LHR/BKK/LHR out 27/12/12 back 14/01/13. Using the "Chose seats" feature for both daily flights only one seat in F available going out,full on both returns.
In J only 2 seats free LHR/BKK and 3 on the returns.
OK it is peak,peak season but it looks as if by using the 340,with more J seats than the 747 (and only 2 less in F compared to refurb 747) has paid off.
Price in J was about Ł2600 return-Ł4100 in F.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
Just a quick note.
I tried a dummy booking,LHR/BKK/LHR out 27/12/12 back 14/01/13. Using the "Chose seats" feature for both daily flights only one seat in F available going out,full on both returns.
In J only 2 seats free LHR/BKK and 3 on the returns.
OK it is peak,peak season but it looks as if by using the 340,with more J seats than the 747 (and only 2 less in F compared to refurb 747) has paid off.
Price in J was about Ł2600 return-Ł4100 in F.

Could mean anything I have been on F & 6hours before take-off the flight is showing full.But once on the flight I have been ,or maybe just one other,passenger in F.Happens the other way as well flight showing empty on F & the flight is full. TITS
Old Oct 21, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Could it be that the higher prices for LHR-BKK next year are due to the new (to THAI) A380 being deployed on that route by that time ?
TG will not be putting the A380 on LHR-BKK at all. It will keep the 2x daily A346 instead. The A380 will be deployed on FRA-BKK and more regional routes (HKG, NRT, etc.) instead; the latest word is that they don't want to be embroiled in a a war with the Gulf carriers chasing the cheap pax for the Kangaroo route between the UK and Australia.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....p20-501718.xml

".....As a consequence, “Thai no longer plans to deploy its A380s to London, although it will still operate the aircraft to Frankfurt, where it links up with Star Alliance partner Lufthansa. To increase utilization, Thai plans to also operate its 507-seat A380s on some Asian sectors.

“Thai will not compete head-to-head with the Gulf carriers in the crowded Kangaroo route from the U.K. to Australia. Instead, we have put our luxury Airbus A340-600 aircraft twice-daily to Heathrow targeting the premium segment of the market,” says Executive Vice President of Strategy and Business Development Chokchai Panyayong....."
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by RICK69
Could mean anything I have been on F & 6hours before take-off the flight is showing full.But once on the flight I have been ,or maybe just one other,passenger in F. TITS
This is very typical of TG yield management system (or lack thereoff).
I have stopped flying TG between HKG and Europe for business, because their booking management is crazy. iI is often impossible to change a flight/date on revenue tickets F, P or A (which are discounted F) because the flights appear full in F (F0P0A0) while they are mostly empty. Without flexibility not possible to use TG for business. That happens long before the flight and/or a few days before.
Some time ago, a guy who seemed extremely knowledeable and said that he helped install a sophisticated (and common) yield management software a few years back. He mentioned that TG seldom used the system but rather did a manual management of each flight! Hence, zero open seats with zero actual bookings is quite possible. Some employee might have set the availability one day and never revise it for a long time.

On the other hand, when the F load seems quite low, it can be that pax upgrade at airport and that TG "friends" get seated in F. So the F cabin gets filled.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: TG Plat
Originally Posted by dwftforum
I’m UK based and have used Thai some 4 or 5 times a year over the last 15 years to travel between London and Bangkok. It’s been a long slow decline from “delighted” to “hanging in there”.

The consistent unhelpful ways of the majority of the London office staff and unbelievable acidity of several of the (non Thai) LHR checkin agents I can handle … I just ignore it.

What is getting increasingly difficult to deal with is fare pricing and putting up with the wretched A340-600. I loathe this characterless tube with a passion. It has all the charisma of a pencil. The 747 is the queen of the skies for me and nobody will change my mind. I can only be grateful that we won’t be getting the wafer thin seats and 2 inches less legroom that constitute “improved service” on the purple whale. At least in the near term. Ah yes … save when the miles kindly place me up front once a year, I’m afraid the majority of my travel is down the back, and so my opinions are formed in respect to those cabins.
I have never had anything other than great service from the London office and one in particular is an absolute star. Likewise I have never had any problem at check-in. Are you sure it is not a reaction to your own demeanour?

I fly LHR-HKT about 8 or 9 times a year and have been in all 3 cabins, I cannot afford F or even C more than a couple of times particularly as I pay out of taxed income. Like many others I prefer F in a 747 but Y and C are way better in the A340-600 for reasons others have already stated.

There is another great advantage: the A340 has 20 more C seats but 100 less Y so as an ROP gold card holder the chances of a free upgrade are very much increased as Thai rightly will oversell Y. Earlier this year I was flying with my mother and we both got upgraded at the gate.

The A380 will not be used on the London route, there is no way they could fill it (profitably) unless they only flew once a day and no one is going to give up a Heathrow slot. They may put the 747s back on the route next year. Flying twice a day also means I can fly both ways as night flights, I am lucky, I can sleep 7 hours of the flight even in Y. Y can be awful on a day flight if you happen to be near the wrong people and you won't get much sleep in Y on a day flight.

To Phuket the alternatives such as Etihad, Qater and Emirates are just not viable because of the extra stop which can be several hours as well. SQ is possible which I have done including on the fine A380 but you fly one hour past Phuket on the way there and then have to put up with the awful Silk Air and no use of a lounge before the Silk Air flights. Changi is so much better though. Finally you have to do immigration at Phuket which is no fun if you are last off the plane and another international one landed just before you, possibly from Russia and full of people who get to the desk without completing the arrival card. Finally, have you checked out the prices of SQ lately? Everytime I look it is over Ł1000 for the flight times I would use.

The problem with the increased prices is, as ever, the thieving UK government which is a good part of the reasons I like to spend so much time away from the UK. Check out the UK tax element of your next booking.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andyptrav
I have never had anything other than great service from the London office and one in particular is an absolute star.

Likewise I have never had any problem at check-in. Are you sure it is not a reaction to your own demeanour?

Please PM me the details of this star.

The SAS check-in staff are terrible.I am a Platinum card holder & I want to be fawned over till I'm sick .The SAS lounge staff are slightly better at this.But I use the SQ F lounge anyway where they take care of my every whim.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos

On the other hand, when the F load seems quite low, it can be that pax upgrade at airport and that TG "friends" get seated in F. So the F cabin gets filled.

Very true.

Once on a 747 in F I was in seat 1A,where I always sit, & the captains wife wanted that seat but TG duty manager at LHR told her I was more important than her.She recounted this story to me when we shared the buggy to immigration at BKK.She was impressed.We later had dinner together but that's another story............
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
.She was impressed.We later had dinner together but that's another story............
Breakfast together would be the juicy story..
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:07 am

Very true.

Once on a 747 in F I was in seat 1A,where I always sit, & the captains wife wanted that seat but TG duty manager at LHR told her I was more important than her.She recounted this story to me when we shared the buggy to immigration at BKK.She was impressed.We later had dinner together but that's another story............
Ha ha you have us all intrigued now Rick....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Breakfast together would be the juicy story..
A gentleman never tells........
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jofneytoad
Ha ha you have us all intrigued now Rick....
A gentleman never tells...................But............
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Plebbian
I seem to be in the minority here but I much prefer A340. It is a lot quieter and feels more spacious than the 744.
I have the same feelings @:-) I love TG F class on the A346 ^

The TG 744 is showing aging signs.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have the same feelings @:-) I love TG F class on the A346 ^

The TG 744 is showing aging signs.

It seems the overall consensus is that people prefer A346 in C & J but 747 in F.

One man's beautiful woman is another man's katoey.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
It seems the overall consensus is that people prefer A346 in C & J but 747 in F.
Yup, I concur... At least when the A346 was flying down to SYD, we never had issues with 'old' cabins making an unwelcome appearance! ^

I'd gladly take it back... And F is not bad on the A346... But the nose of the jumbo had a certain exclusivity about it!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I don't think you can beat 1A on the 747^.Even after all these years it still feels special. 346 in F feels like Biz +.
What an odd thing to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.