Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai is getting VERY unattractive from London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai is getting VERY unattractive from London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by RICK69
You must travel off peak.
Well, I don't travel over holiday periods... as a large portion of my travel is for business. With regards to leisure travel, we also try to avoid peaks - way too busy IMHO.

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by dwftforum
I’m off to HKT in a few weeks and the ticket cost me £600 or so in Q class to get the miles. I want to now book for January and April, each a straightforward LHR/BKK/HKT return. £900 its showing for January and a stupid £4K full fare Y in April. !
Hi, the discounted fare is 597 pounds until June 30th 2013, the proviso is you have to pay for it by the end of November and there are blackout dates over Christmas and 23rd march till 10th April. You may need a little patience flicking through day after day to get the class there and back, otherwise by default the full price economy fare will appear.

This is how we all buy our cheapest fares, currently Thai are offering us cheap Asian business class fares for 2013, it is money up front, only limited numbers per flight but the savings are about half.

The attraction for fares purchased from Europe is that most will include free domestic travel and the upgrade to business class is only about 600 which makes for a very cheap business class fare.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:52 am

Programs: AMEXROP, TG Gold, BAEC Gold, BD gold
Originally Posted by kt74
for TG fares, I always use WestEast travel,

And while the 747s are nice and spacious, surely the A340s are newer, quieter, fewer seats across and at least have AVOD?
I also use westeast travel as their fares are usually the best. They also have english speaking Thai staff and told me that they sell more tickets for Thai than any other agent !

They should also know when the best fares are announced.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I seem to be in the minority here but I much prefer A340. It is a lot quieter and feels more spacious than the 744. I don't know what it's like down at the back though.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Originally Posted by Plebbian
I seem to be in the minority here but I much prefer A340. It is a lot quieter and feels more spacious than the 744. I don't know what it's like down at the back though.
The same, it feels much more spacious and it's A WHOLE LOT quieter than the 744.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 31dany
The same, it feels much more spacious and it's A WHOLE LOT quieter than the 744.
Not in F it doesn't.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by dwftforum
I’d really appreciate guidance from UK based TG travellers for better ways to get my trips booked ahead at reasonable fares and how to exploit the European network to better meet my needs. Thanks!
If you have KVS you can search for award availability in C, then buy the miles on lifemiles (Avianca) to book the award for not much more than the normal Y fare. If you can't find any C award seats from LHR, you can try various European ports.

I just looked on Lifemiles for LHR-HKT, the one-way C award is available on 11 Jan and will cost 27500 miles plus USD815.00. And you can buy the miles, immediately credited, for $30 per thousand, or half that when lifemiles has a sale.

Now, if you can afford that one-way C fare, for future trips you can start buying return fares out of BKK/HKT which are much cheaper. And/or look for ways of scrounging AV miles for future awards.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Could it be that the higher prices for LHR-BKK next year are due to the new (to THAI) A380 being deployed on that route by that time ?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
I hate the A340 in F class please bring back the 747.
I prefer 2A on the 346 over any seat in F on the 747...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have only been in F on the 747 and J on the 340 but I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was on the 340. That being said I was in the front row of J just behind F, but then it's quieter the further you are from engine anyway regardless of aircraft types.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by Plebbian
I have only been in F on the 747 and J on the 340 but I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was on the 340. That being said I was in the front row of J just behind F, but then it's quieter the further you are from engine anyway regardless of aircraft types.

I'm the old fashioned guy who likes to hear the sound of the engines drown out the sounds of people
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SMK77
I prefer 2A on the 346 over any seat in F on the 747...
I don't think you can beat 1A on the 747^.Even after all these years it still feels special. 346 in F feels like Biz +.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
I don't think you can beat 1A on the 747^.Even after all these years it still feels special. 346 in F feels like Biz +.
When I've flown in F on the A346, it certainly has not felt like C+... It was a proper F experience, IMO...

That said, I think the nose of the 747 has an exclusive feeling, I get that... But not all airlines have F in the forward cabin, look at LH? I think the UD (or bubble) also has an exclusive feel... ^

Cheers,

Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I use www.fly.com to price out alternative options from FRA or MUC. In Aug when TG were £900 out of LHR on the Subway Sandwich I was getting £450 out of FRA.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
When I've flown in F on the A346, it certainly has not felt like C+... It was a proper F experience, IMO...

That said, I think the nose of the 747 has an exclusive feeling, I get that... But not all airlines have F in the forward cabin, look at LH? I think the UD (or bubble) also has an exclusive feel... ^

Cheers,

Fully agreed.

I prefer 2A on both 747 or A340. 747 1A is more restricted in space and the FAs tend to access the closet periodically. But 1A&K are great when traveling as a couple because you can chat.
747 nose (and to some extent UD) is exclusive and no foot traffic, while A340 get a lot of FA traffic to F galley and purser's seat. Unfortunately that also holds true for 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.