Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Flying TG BKK-DXB, no UAE visa... experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying TG BKK-DXB, no UAE visa... experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Question Flying TG BKK-DXB, no UAE visa... experiences?

Hello,

My wife and I will be flying BKK-DXB, stopping-over in DXB for < 96h and travelling onward to North America. According to UAE consular authorities we will qualify for a Transit Visa (issued on arrival at DXB), but they also warn that some airlines / stations apparently unaware of this rule deny boarding to pax without advance visa. Any experience flying out of BKK under this arrangement?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I take it you are either North American, and as such, like the majority of passengers travelling through Dubai, you will be issued with a 30 day vias on arrival, very much like what happens when you arrive in Thailand. Enjoy DXB it is incredible
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BKKROP
I take it you are either North American, and as such, like the majority of passengers travelling through Dubai, you will be issued with a 30 day vias on arrival, very much like what happens when you arrive in Thailand. Enjoy DXB it is incredible
Thanks for your response, but North American may also mean Canadian. As Canadians we are not eligible for the free tourist visas into UAE. Something to do with a political spat back in 2010 over AE and EY landing rights... It got political and ugly.

We can indeed apply for tourist visas, which would set us back CAD 250 per person. We would prefer to obtain transit visas on arrival at DXB.

So... I am still interested in first hand experiences of boarding TG flights out of BKK to DXB without a pre-arranged EAU visa.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Free Agent
why on earth would you risk it??
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I would assume any airline then would require you to have a visa, before they will fly you there. This happens to me if I fly to Vietnam, China, I have to show the airline carrying me that i have a visa to enter, if not, they do not allow you past checkin
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BKKROP
I would assume any airline then would require you to have a visa, before they will fly you there. This happens to me if I fly to Vietnam, China, I have to show the airline carrying me that i have a visa to enter, if not, they do not allow you past checkin
Hmmm... Perhaps I am not communicating clearly. Let's try again: I am eligible to obtain the TRANSIT VISA on arrival at DXB. I have received anecdotal evidence that some airlines are boneheaded about this issue and don't recognize the said eligibility. I am trying to find out whether I should expect TG staff at BKK to recognize my eligibility to receive the said transit visa on arrival at DXB.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canolakid
why on earth would you risk it??
CAD 500. I know, it's only money, it's ugly and it smells bad. Send me all you don't want.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You can thank Air Canada management and their government cronies on the take for this:

here are the rules for Canadians

Visa Issuance:
- A 96-hour ("Dubai Stop-over") transit visa can be obtained
on arrival at Dubai Airport (DXB) provided:
- transit time is at least 8 hours; and

- holding return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation; and

- traveling at least one sector (inbound or outbound) on
Emirates (EK).

Fee: USD 127.-. (SEE NOTE 29898) (SEE NOTE 41363)

- Facility is not applicable to passengers arriving on
SQ-flights.

- A visa can be applied for (and issued through internet
(e-Visa)), prior to arrival, if arriving at Abu Dhabi (AUH)
and Dubai Airport (DXB).
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
here are the rules for Canadians
rankourabu, where did you obtain these rules? I ask because UAE embassy in Ottawa provides slightly different info, both by phone and on their website at http://www.uae-embassy.ae/Embassies/ca/Content/2117:
I. Transit Visas:

Transit visas can be obtained in one of the following ways:

1) Transit visas are not issued at the Embassy. As of 7 April, 2011, Canadian passport holders travelling through the U.A.E. to a third destination can obtain a 96 hour transit visa upon arrival at the airport. The traveller must:

a. Only be transiting in the U.A.E. and on their way to a third destination; i.e. not returning to the original country of departure

b. Hold a valid passport with a validity period of at least 6 months at departure

c. Present a confirmed ticket to their onward destination, proving that their stay in the U.A.E. does not exceed 96 hours following arrival

These transit visas are issued at the Marhaba Services visa office in the airport. More information on the services provided by Marhaba are available on their website.

2) Transit visas are also issued by the U.A.E. airlines: Emirates Airlines and Etihad Airlines. Details are provided below in section I.2.
No EK segment requirement is mentioned for issuing at Marhaba Services.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
rankourabu, where did you obtain these rules? I ask because UAE embassy in Ottawa provides slightly different info, both by phone and on their website at http://www.uae-embassy.ae/Embassies/ca/Content/2117:
No EK segment requirement is mentioned for issuing at Marhaba Services.
The rules are from IATA Timatic - what the airlines use.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by blue2002
Hmmm... Perhaps I am not communicating clearly. Let's try again: I am eligible to obtain the TRANSIT VISA on arrival at DXB. I have received anecdotal evidence that some airlines are boneheaded about this issue and don't recognize the said eligibility. I am trying to find out whether I should expect TG staff at BKK to recognize my eligibility to receive the said transit visa on arrival at DXB.
I understand your issue and I'd certainly want to avoid shelling out CND 500 for visas. But I'm not sure you will be able to get a timely on-point answer from a Canadian passport-holder who has travelled on this itinerary on TG. And even then, TG staff response may change from person to person and day to day. Consistency is not one of TG's strong suits for anything. I doubt calling TG and asking will produce a definitive response that you can be confident won't change, but you could try.

Is it possible to contact Marhaba Services--and maybe have them scan/fax some sort of transit visa-on-arrival issuance assurance that you could print out and show TG? A long shot.

Other options include doing nothing and gambling you will be allowed on board, or changing routing to avoid DXB. Yes I realize there are potential costs with the first if you gamble and lose, and definite costs with the second.

Last edited by jiejie; Feb 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Correct me if I am wrong,but aren't these penal regulations against Canadian citizens (unlike the rules for US) are due to the Canadian government restricting EK landing rights?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
EK subsidizes the cost of the Visa so it is cheaper if you buy an airfare. You can book them online through their website (or Ethiad's).

As a Canadian, flying a Star Partner (with a stop) through UAE is an expensive experience. I researched taking a cheap flight on TK from IST to DXB and just found that it was too expensive when compared with a side trip TK IST-CAI. I decided against it.

There was no break in the Visa Fee for me. However, I have heard that if you stay airside (secure side) you don't need a visa.

Better take a copy of the rules with you to check in if you are going to chance it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
Correct me if I am wrong,but aren't these penal regulations against Canadian citizens (unlike the rules for US) are due to the Canadian government restricting EK landing rights?
Yes. Its because Air Canada management is in bed with the government - and is pushing their buttons in restricting EK access.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Smile Caved in. Will get a visa

Well, I looked at Timatic as well and decided to shell out the CAD 500. That little note about "traveling at least one sector (inbound or outbound) on
Emirates (EK)." convinced me. Oh well, we only live once; might as well not waste the time on visa-related denied boardings. Thanks for your answers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.