Reload this Page >

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

IAH / George Bush Intercontinental Connections Information and Times
Domestic and International (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

IAH / Houston Bush Intercontinental: flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I don't know what forum is best for positing this question so I'll try here.

I have an Emirates F ticket booked for the GF that goes IAH - DXB - SIN. We are based in RDU so now I'm on to figuring out the positioning flights.

The EK flight departs at 6:20pm.

My options are:

1) UA direct flight for $180/person which arrives into IAH at either 1:48pm or 4:48pm. I should be receiving UA Silver via my Marriott Plat which means bag would be free and EF shows UA --> EK interline (or I could pick-up bags at 1:48pm and re-check them at EK)

2) DL or AA for $112 which connects in ATL / CLT and arrives at either 2:52pm or 1:06pm respectively. I have the relevant CCs to have a free bag on either one and should have enough time to re-check bags at EK for IAH - DXB - SIN portion (no interline for AA or DL, just UA)

3) Fly in the night before and spend 30k HH for a night at one of the IAH Hilton properties and just take the airport shuttle back with a late check-out the next day

This would be for March which means *hopefully* weather isn't too big of a factor in any of these cities though I recognize both option 1 and 2 have a risk associated with them in being same day flights on airlines with zero ties to EK. Unfortunately since this is an AS redemption there is no way around this since I can't tack on the AA or DL flights to the same PNR.

Is it worth the extra $70/person to take the direct on UA and if so is the 1.5 hour layover too tight for the 4:48pm arrival flight? Alternatively if AA/DL is equally as good, which is the better option for picking up baggage and then getting to the EK check-in desk to re-check on EK?

Last edited by Duke787; Dec 30, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I don't know what forum is best for positing this question so I'll try here.

I have an Emirates F ticket booked for the GF that goes IAH - DXB - SIN. We are based in RDU so now I'm on to figuring out the positioning flights.

The EK flight departs at 6:20pm.

My options are:

1) UA direct flight for $180/person which arrives into IAH at either 1:48pm or 4:48pm. I should be receiving UA Silver via my Marriott Plat which means bag would be free and EF shows UA --> EK interline (or I could pick-up bags at 1:48pm and re-check them at EK)

2) DL or AA for $112 which connects in ATL / CLT and arrives at either 2:52pm or 1:06pm respectively. I have the relevant CCs to have a free bag on either one and should have enough time to re-check bags at EK for IAH - DXB - SIN portion (no interline for AA or DL, just UA)

3) Fly in the night before and spend 30k HH for a night at one of the IAH Hilton properties and just take the airport shuttle back with a late check-out the next day

This would be for March which means *hopefully* weather isn't too big of a factor in any of these cities though I recognize both option 1 and 2 have a risk associated with them in being same day flights on airlines with zero ties to EK. Unfortunately since this is an AS redemption there is no way around this since I can't tack on the AA or DL flights to the same PNR.

Is it worth the extra $70/person to take the direct on UA and if so is the 1.5 hour layover too tight for the 4:48pm arrival flight? Alternatively if AA/DL is equally as good, which is the better option for picking up baggage and then getting to the EK check-in desk to re-check on EK?
Best option IMO, arrive previous night at IAH.
Second best (IMO)....arrive 1:48PM via UA.
Currently UA has developed plicies to not interline bags on separate tickets. So, you have to pray for a great agent at RDU to interline your bag. If not, you need enough time at IAH to retrieve bags and re-check.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Best option IMO, arrive previous night at IAH.
Second best (IMO)....arrive 1:48PM via UA.
Currently UA has developed plicies to not interline bags on separate tickets. So, you have to pray for a great agent at RDU to interline your bag. If not, you need enough time at IAH to retrieve bags and re-check.
Ahh okay thanks! Looks like there is an RDU - ATL - IAH that is quick (short 56 minute layover in ATL) and gets into IAH at 11:38pm so that seems to be a solid option to combine with a late checkout from an airport hotel the next day.

Any insight into DoubleTree vs. HGI vs. Hampton Inn? All 3 cost the same pointswise (30k each) though the DT appears to have a later checkout (3pm) than HGI (2pm) based on calls to each.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Ahh okay thanks! Looks like there is an RDU - ATL - IAH that is quick (short 56 minute layover in ATL) and gets into IAH at 11:38pm so that seems to be a solid option to combine with a late checkout from an airport hotel the next day.
Hm, must have got sidetracked, as I meant to reply to this when I first saw it.

IMHO, you are wasting a lot of time by flying in the day before.

Sure UA has been horrible, but even I, a UA basher have to admit that they've been getting better since Smisek's departure.

ALL of the different airlines should be able to get you there on time, though for a little more you could take the first UA flight and have second as backup - or perhaps earlier flight with AA or DL as long as there's another flight later. 30K points just to spend a night and waste a whole day .... trust me, there's NOTHING around IAH, I was based there for over a decade.

Any insight into DoubleTree vs. HGI vs. Hampton Inn? All 3 cost the same pointswise (30k each) though the DT appears to have a later checkout (3pm) than HGI (2pm) based on calls to each.
Can't help much here, as I don't even know what HGI is I can tell you DoubleTree has been around for a long time and is a solid property. I've stayed at plenty of Hampton Inns, and they tend to be good, so I would not worry about that.

But, if it were me, I'd fly in the day of, and I speak as someone who values money more than time.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
If you do fly in the day before, I'd at least stay near the Galleria or downtown. I can't think of anything more boring than a day in the area around IAH. Get down to the Montrose or Heights.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:54 am

Nice ideas here.

For airport hotels, I would pick the doubletree. My wife has stayed there and it was a decent property. Its right on the strip with all the hotels and a shuttle would take 5-8 minutes to the terminal.

The other idea that came up was to stay elsewhere for the night. This would be good too (I would suggest Galleria).
But, Taxis are pretty pricey (80$ approx) to Galleria and downtown areas.
Adds additional expense.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Hm, must have got sidetracked, as I meant to reply to this when I first saw it.

IMHO, you are wasting a lot of time by flying in the day before.

Sure UA has been horrible, but even I, a UA basher have to admit that they've been getting better since Smisek's departure.

ALL of the different airlines should be able to get you there on time, though for a little more you could take the first UA flight and have second as backup - or perhaps earlier flight with AA or DL as long as there's another flight later. 30K points just to spend a night and waste a whole day .... trust me, there's NOTHING around IAH, I was based there for over a decade.

Can't help much here, as I don't even know what HGI is I can tell you DoubleTree has been around for a long time and is a solid property. I've stayed at plenty of Hampton Inns, and they tend to be good, so I would not worry about that.

But, if it were me, I'd fly in the day of, and I speak as someone who values money more than time.
Hmmm okay - I haven't pulled the trigger yet (waiting for the Delta eGift Cards from start of year AMEX credit to become available sometime tomorrow).

I'll give the Delta options on the day of a closer look. I guess if weather or other does hit Texas or the South generally it'll impact all 3 carriers on that day so it's just a matter of whether the chance of any operational delays.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
If you do fly in the day before, I'd at least stay near the Galleria or downtown. I can't think of anything more boring than a day in the area around IAH. Get down to the Montrose or Heights.
That's fair - I had a project in Houston a couple years ago so got to explore those areas but the general thought was not wanting to spend the money on a cab or car rental. I think if we fly in the night before we can take a Delta flight that lands at 11:40pm, take the shuttle to the airport, and then use late checkout to just sleep-in and maybe get in a quick gym workout before IAH - DXB - SIN.

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Nice ideas here.

For airport hotels, I would pick the doubletree. My wife has stayed there and it was a decent property. Its right on the strip with all the hotels and a shuttle would take 5-8 minutes to the terminal.

The other idea that came up was to stay elsewhere for the night. This would be good too (I would suggest Galleria).
But, Taxis are pretty pricey (80$ approx) to Galleria and downtown areas.
Adds additional expense.
I hear ya re: Galleria - unfortunately it seems that I can't get a rental car for less than $40/day including taxes even with discount codes, etc.

And thanks re: DoubleTree - sounds like if we stick with coming in the night before that's the place to go between the positive endorsements and the fact that late check-out is 3pm not 2pm.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:04 pm

International Connection

United 327 from Austin to IAH
51 minute layover
ANA Flight 173 to Narita
I'm not familiar with the Houston Airport and concerned about making the connection. Help please!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:38 pm

IF UA 327 is on time, no problem. IF ..... in UA's defense, they have been getting much better.

Is this on same ticket, or bought separately? Makes a BIG difference @:-)
Old May 29, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
I have a flight arriving at IAH on Saturday 7/9 (est. 145pm) on SQ62 in First Class. I am a US citizen, DO NOT have GE but do have TSA pre check, and will NOT be needing to pick up or recheck any luggage. I do understand that it is quite a busy time for international arriving aircrafts and could depend on when I get in compared to other flights. Nonetheless....

I have a connecting flight (on a seperate reservation with AA) but will check in online and have my boarding pass via the phone app. Questions is my ongoing domestic flight out of Terminal A is at 425pm, I want to make sure or have an idea about how long it will take with immigration, customs, and re check security???

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Old May 29, 2016, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
I have a flight arriving at IAH on Saturday 7/9 (est. 145pm) on SQ62

<snip>

I have a connecting flight (on a seperate reservation with AA) but will check in online and have my boarding pass via the phone app. Questions is my ongoing domestic flight out of Terminal A is at 425pm
I'd say even if your flight is an hour late you should be able to make the connection comfortably.

In fact, your Pre will only help you get back to secure area, but it seems that we have not had the problems that Neward and Chicago have experienced, or at least not as bad.

You will exit Customs and Immigration in Terminal E, which is one of better terminals for security. You can take SkyWay post security to get to Term A where AA flies from (buy you already know that).
Old May 29, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
I'd say even if your flight is an hour late you should be able to make the connection comfortably.

In fact, your Pre will only help you get back to secure area, but it seems that we have not had the problems that Neward and Chicago have experienced, or at least not as bad.

You will exit Customs and Immigration in Terminal E, which is one of better terminals for security. You can take SkyWay post security to get to Term A where AA flies from (buy you already know that).
Great, thank you for the information! One more question, so from my understanding of your response, I go through security in Terminal E (after clearing customs and immigration) so I am free to take the Skyway from E to A (Airside) is that correct?
Old May 29, 2016, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
so from my understanding of your response, I go through security in Terminal E (after clearing customs and immigration) so I am free to take the Skyway from E to A (Airside) is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

SQ actually arrives in D (I've only arrived in E), but all pax end up in same facility, and get dumped somewhere in E.

There are reports that E Pre gets shut down early, but IME has some of shortest lines at IAH, and that early Pre should be still open.

If you have time and some sense of adventure, SubWay is outside of security and somewhat slow, but will get you to A IIRC, and you may well be the only one in the car.

You would have to go to lower level before security. I used to ride it for fun back in the day before 9-11 and enhanced security. IIRC only done it once since or twice since and it was fun. In fact, even most regulars at IAH don't know it exists.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:54 pm

Yes, that is correct.

SQ actually arrives in D (I've only arrived in E), but all pax end up in same facility, and get dumped somewhere in E.

There are reports that E Pre gets shut down early, but IME has some of shortest lines at IAH, and that early Pre should be still open.

If you have time and some sense of adventure, SubWay is outside of security and somewhat slow, but will get you to A IIRC, and you may well be the only one in the car.

You would have to go to lower level before security. I used to ride it for fun back in the day before 9-11 and enhanced security. IIRC only done it once since or twice since and it was fun. In fact, even most regulars at IAH don't know it exists.
Interesting and good to know! I will check it out if I do have some extra time, again, thanks for the all the help and info!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
With no checked bags you should be able to use "One-stop" It allows you to bypass the line for the customs exit (which downstairs after immigration)
One stop is open to all, not just GE. It is normally the first or second line behind GE near crew and diplomat lane. bypassing the customs exit can save a lot of time depending on time of day.

As an aside, I ride the subway often, normally to return to parking from B-C-E and it is often crowded YMMV of course.

Either way, if the E interior TSA checkpoint for the CBP area is too crowded or with pre-check closed, you can take the subway down to A 15-20 minutes and use A precheck. you could also exit CBP and go upstairs in E and enter that way then ride the skytrain.

you have several options!

edit-http://fly2houston.com/iah/international-travel/

IAH has a new webpage and maps. The one above mentions one-stop in the lower right

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Jun 20, 2016 at 11:01 pm Reason: add link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.