Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas Dining

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:18 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
If I had time for one well-priced meal in DAL/DFW and didn't want Mexican, I'd go to Celebration Restaurant. (I think my favorite Mexican was a mole poblano dish in SLC (no, really!).) Part of why I like it is fond childhood memories, but part of it is certainly the good-quality (i.e., not greasy and gross) Texas home cooking.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:56 pm

sambucca

I second Sambucca as a great place - check the music though as they have a wide range, if in town for a couple of nights one of the nights will suit your fancy.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
I've lived in Dallas for the past three years, and Patrizio in Highland Park Village has really slipped in terms of quality. Now, it just seems to be one of those restaurants where the Park Cities socialites go to be seen (and get drunk off peach bellinis). I think the best affordable Italian places in that area would be Campisi's, although it has a terrible atmosphere, or Penne Pomodoro in Snyder Plaza--small menu though.

The best steak I've ever had was at Bob's Steak and Chop House. I'm not big into Texas BBQ, but Peggy Sue is probably my favorite BBQ place in Dallas.

Someone before mentioned Buck and Loons in Arlington. The burgers are decent, but the real reason to go is for their mug of cheap beer (it even says on the menu "Cheap Mug of Beer-don't ask what kind it is). For $1.50 you get a mug the size of a small child ^
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Herb687
A) It's Esparza's, not Esparanza's.
B) It's overrated in my opinion.
C) You're obviously just trying to boost your post count.
Gotta firmly disagree with you on count b... but I dine there at least once a week (sometimes several) so I might be biased!

La Calle Doce - asked about upthread - is fabulous. I should that the family has been struck by tragedy recently though with the gruesome kidnapping/murder of one of their sons who was a manager. Amazing seafood cocktails.

As far as Patrizios, I've been known to resemble that. Mmmmm... peach bellinis and shopping!

While we are dishing on restaurants:

Had dinner at Tom Tom last night. Quick service, reasonable menu. I still miss Annie @ Liberty Noodles, but this will do in a pinch and West Village is a great location. I had the sashimi dinner for a switch up - $20 for 16 generously cut pieces.

Heading to a fundraiser at Arcadoro tomorrow night... will update on whether the food has gotten better or worse.

Fishbowl, mentioned upstream, is (and has been) closed.

My favorite sushi at the moment is Blue Ocean in Coppell (not to be confused with the sushi chain, Blue Fish). Peter & Kim (the owners) also own several other suburban Asian restaurants that are popular (Empress of China, for one). Helps that I know the entire staff and have drank with them at the bar on a few occasions. When that occurs, it also helps that I live stumbling distance from there!

Had Christmas Eve dinner at Daddy Jacks this year - it sucked. Bad service, bad food... not what I expect from what was my favorite restaurant several years ago.

Went to a function at La Duni Latin Cafe last month. Was very pleased... the tres leches cake is to die for (they also have a stand-alone bakery counter).
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Hilton Dmd, Marriott GLD, SPG GLD, Global Entry
Originally Posted by techgirl
Had Christmas Eve dinner at Daddy Jacks this year - it sucked. Bad service, bad food... not what I expect from what was my favorite restaurant several years ago.
I ate there a few weeks ago. I didn't have a problem with the quality, although I'd agree that it isn't what it used to be. I mainly noticed that while the entrees are the same price as before, the sides are not a la carte, effectively a $5-6 increase.

I really miss Momo in Deep Ellum, but I'm glad they're still on Knox and in Addison.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:06 pm

What about some other places???

Oh my goodness - I can't believe that no one has mentioned The Capital Grille for delicious steaks! I love that place!

A little place that is romantic and has this totally yummy "Dynamite" sauce that is a must on anything I order there is The Mercury .

For Mexican I haven't really branched out but my fav is Mi Cocina near the corner of Campbell and Coit.

Great - this has made me hungry!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
Originally Posted by Herb687
SMU sorority girls are also known to do the same!!!
And my parents want to know why I always want to eat there when I visit.

TechGirl reminded me of the Empress of China family of restaurants. Empress of China (Coppell, off Macarthur) itself isn't too bad, and they've got some great lunch specials. When I was interning for company in Coppell, I think I ate there for about three weeks straight. Another great place, owned by the same people, is right up the street, Pan-Acean offers some awesome North/South Asian fusion cuisine. The noodle dishes there are amazing. Also they opened up a new joint on Northwest Hwy. (between DAL and the Tollway), Howard Wangs BBQ or something like that. Not bad at all for "Asian BBQ," although when I was last there in January, they hadn't recieved their liquor license yet.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:49 pm

Programs: DELTA AA HH MARRIOTT
There is one restaurant on the list that I didn't see. It is probably the most overlooked place which has some of the best meals and a fabulous wine list. Paul's Porterhouse off of Northwest Hwy & I35E. They do beef and some fish & game as well. The proprietor, Paul, is still there every night. It is in an area which used to be restaurant row. Try it. You'll like it.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Had a great dinner two weekends ago at Taste at 2400 Allen St. at State in Uptown Dallas (not to be confused with State & Allen Lounge which shares an owner and an address with Taste). It's a great find and I can't wait to return. Menu can only be described as eclectic (some Spanish influences, some Asian, some Italian). We had the pork osso buco and tenderloin of beef over sweet potato canneloni. The tenderloin was a special, not on the regular menu, but must be frequently offered as its pictured on the Guidelive review (checked the review later, a few days after dining there).

IMHO the Guidelive review doesn't do the pork osso buco justice at all. It was excellent; the peanut sauce treatment was very mild (from the menu description I was worried it would overpower the pork; it didn't).

Ate outside on the patio which was nice (has heaters). Dining room inside is fairly small, contemporary decor. Decent selection of wines by the glass. Cheese board appetizer option looked intriguing but I passed. Most entrees ranged from about $19 to $26. While the menu is quite limited (I think there were fewer than 10 main courses listed), most of the choices sounded great.

Check it out if you're needing a nice dinner in Uptown. I think it's a great find.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
If you happen to be way up in Plano (Legacy/Tollroad area), give Jaspers a try. Really good. (Kent Rathbun. Same guy that does the previously mentioned Abacus).

A steak joint I like close to downtown Dallas is Nick and Sam's.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Love the Maytag blue cheese potato chips at Jasper's!

Nick and Sam's is great... don't know how we missed mentioning that one thus far. Its in the "old" Lawry's location (many years ago) and is a spectacular dining room setting. They are also tied in with one of the new "private" clubs that has opened up down that way.
Old May 6, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spike-
There is one restaurant on the list that I didn't see. It is probably the most overlooked place which has some of the best meals and a fabulous wine list. Paul's Porterhouse off of Northwest Hwy & I35E. They do beef and some fish & game as well. The proprietor, Paul, is still there every night. It is in an area which used to be restaurant row. Try it. You'll like it.
Wow -- is that place still around?! They used to advertise on radio all the time, but no more and I thought they bit the dust.

I haven't been there since that was still restaurant row! Must try it again, as the prime rib was killer and that HUGE slab of cheddar they plop on the table was a great way to start things.

York Street is still our all time fav in our end of town, though!
Old May 6, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Originally Posted by LGA
If I had time for one well-priced meal in DAL/DFW and didn't want Mexican, I'd go to Celebration Restaurant. (I think my favorite Mexican was a mole poblano dish in SLC (no, really!).) Part of why I like it is fond childhood memories, but part of it is certainly the good-quality (i.e., not greasy and gross) Texas home cooking.
My wife and I stumbled upon Celebration while driving around when we first moved to DFW. Great homestyle cooking and reasonable prices!
Old May 10, 2005, 11:36 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by boilermaker
My wife and I stumbled upon Celebration while driving around when we first moved to DFW. Great homestyle cooking and reasonable prices!
Glad you enjoyed it! There aren't many places in DFW that are still there since my childhood and that sate even my grown-up tastebuds, but this is one.
Old May 10, 2005, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking of childhood restaurants, PeachesBB and I checked out the new Kincaids today after our bank run.

The outside is classic suburban strip mall... so I worried immediately how my favorite burger joint would translate in sterile Southlake.

I need not have worried... inside, you'll find a very close (although larger) reproduction of the original Chas. Kincaid Market - complete with open grill, letterboard sign, standup grocery counters w/ magazines, picnic tables, vintage wall decor, hanging promo "blow ups", and orders taken on white paper sacks.

My fried okra tasted as crisp as always (and came with the required ranch dressing without asking), my burger was super fresh, and the canned sodas cold. We didn't save room for deviled eggs or fried pies, but both were present. Despite the 1 pm time we arrived, there was a wait for orders and the dining room was crowded. Were it not for the parking lot out the window in lieu of the red brick, I could have sworn I was in Fort Worth!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.