Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas Dining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I'll echo the two or three in the thread who listed Pappas Bros. as one of the best steakhouses around. I love steak and have tried a couple dozen of the high end chains, and they rank #2 for me. (#1 would be Prime One Twelve in South Beach.)

For those who haven't heard yet, the KRLD Restaurant Week (and an extended second and third week with some restaurants) is coming up in August 11-17 (or 24th or 31st depending on the restaurant). Pappas Bros. is one of the choices for a $35 three course meal. That's about half of what it would normally cost! (I already made our reservations.)
Old May 4, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Hook, Line and Sinker is a seafood restaurant (I use restaurant loosely) where you place your order and pay for it, have a seat and wait. The food is good, plentiful and cheap. The place is packed on weekends but it is well worth any wait.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ate at Zander's House in Plano last week. the cooking is upscale Vietnamese.

all the food there is excellent. the only time i have ever encountered a crowd is friday lunch.

the wines are not selling well, so pretty much all the wines are half price. they were not particularly expensive before. they are now below shelf price.

bottle of RUTZ Dutton ranch Chard 2003, was $19.

was also pleased with a meal at Chow Thai in Addison. they serve california Thai.(sort of like california italian) not the real thing, but better.

Dallas is turning into a ghost town. many empty sites at malls, many restaurants seem to be gone. does not seem to be a need to call in advance to get seating.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:02 am

Dining at Dallas Restaurants is an experience in itself. The food and the service bring the flavor for the ambiance.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yao Fuzi. serve Shanghai Chinese. they are in Plano. 4757 w.park. this is the best chinese food i have had in years. all quality ingredients. try the rice cake appetizer. yea, rice cakes. not on the regular menu. not very big and very many people wanted in. maybe call in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Just back from Pappas Bros which I visited based on the comments in this thread. In summary - I liked it and will return if I'm ever back here in DFW.

Pappas Bros has 2 locations, the other in in Houston. The one in Dallas is located in a area saturated with eateries. I think Pappas owns a few in the immediate neighbourhood so in a way, they compete with themselves (I think). Not a big deal or anything, but it is interesting.

The website for Papps Bros recommends jackets for the men. I can't fathom why. Obviously one should dress neatly for this place but a jacket (& especially a tie) would seem over the top to me. Long sleeve shirt with collar + no jeans was quite appropriate while I was there. They also recommend reservations - for large parties this is obvious but I went on a Tuesday evening around 18h00 and there was no problem at all getting in.

My server was attentive, personable and made me feel quite welcome there. I appreciated his hospitality. He was quite knowledgeable on the menu and highlighted the off-menu items that were available. As this was my first time in TX, I decided to skip the surf & turf options (plenty of them) and focus on a steak. I ordered a Rib Eye, medium rare.

Interestingly my order, once ready, was brought to me by a different server. This seemed pretty par for the course. I'm not sure why they do this but perhaps it's more efficient or something. In any case, this new server requested that I make a cut in the middle of the steak "to verify temperature". I've never been asked to do this anywhere else, but I made my incision, verified that all was well and he left me and my steak in peace.

The steak was prepared perfectly. There was just enough spice to enhance the flavour but never overwhelm it. The wellness was indeed exactly what I had asked for as well. While the steak was obviously prepared on a super-hot grill, the meat itself never felt too hot, nor too cold; a perfect "Goldilocks" preparation if there ever was one! The proportions were generous as well. Once again I must tip my hat to the Americans - they do know how to feed people.

My server managed to tempt the chocoholic in me with their Chocolate Midnight Cake - exactly what it sounds like - a moist, chocolate later cake served with ice cream. It was nice, albeit a bit much in the end.

The damage at the end was a bit expensive for one person - $88 but I don't regret the spend. The breakdown:

Steak - $36.95
Haricots vert - $9.95
A glass of champagne - $18
Chocolate cake - $7.95
Taxes + tip

So clearly, it's possible to visit Pappas Bros and not spend quite so much. But the food quality was good and the service excellent. It's tough to ask for much more.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:33 am
arc

Programs: AA ExPt 1MM, SPG Au
Originally Posted by cordata
For mid-price close to airport Salt Grass (114 West) is pretty good. For high end Silver Fox in Grapevine.
I'd second the former recommendation. For high end, I'd also suggest Three Forks in Dallas.

(And on Tex-Mex, El Fenix is a staple of the area ... their sopapillas are very, very tasty. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.