Search

Anywhere to go for a run at DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Anywhere to go for a run at DFW?

Airside would be preferable, but also would go outside — can one run around the airport grounds? — or do the Grand Hyatt (though won’t be a guest). Does AA still have an exercise room in one of the lounges?
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Nothing stopping you from going for a run around the terminals. All terminals except E have at least one bridge between them and another. I don't believe there is an exercise room anymore - IIRC, that was in the old First Arrivals lounge in A that became an AC. When A was renovated, that went away (sadly, the showers did too. Best showers in any airport I've experienced).

Cannot comment on the GH. Worth swinging by the front desk and asking.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:00 pm
Suspended

I thought that one of the Admirals Clubs had a gym in it?

If not, I’d just run in the terminal and then take a shower at an Admirals Club.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
What I did on shorter layovers where getting a rental car and driving to Grapevine Lake for some running around the north shore trail with the dog wasn't possible or cost-prohibitive with the prices for rental cars post-2021: Took the shuttle bus to the rental car facility and took the dog for a run around the forested area around the reservoir across the highway from the rental car center, followed by a shower in the lounge.

edit: I miss the A AC's showers, too. These were the best. Worth the trek over from D (where 99% of my flights arrived departed from). Now, not anymore.
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Last edited by bhomburg; Jun 12, 2023 at 12:21 am
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's funny, I've gone for run outside at BOS (running from the terminals into East Boston), JFK (taking the free ride on the AirTrain to Federal Circle and then running around the cargo buildings and into the nearby Queens neighborhood), LAX (running from the terminals past the rental car lots and into the adjacent neighborhood), SFO (running from the terminals down the road that all of the airport hotels are on), LHR (I have a great route from T5 into the adjacent neighborhoods), and HND (I was diverted to HND from NRT after the 2011 earthquake and was able to run around the airport roads because, if I remember correctly, there was no, or minimal, vehicle traffic), but I've never thought of doing it in a terminal! This will be next Friday mid afternoon; I'd be concerned that the terminals would be too crowded!
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Blumie
! This will be next Friday mid afternoon; I'd be concerned that the terminals would be too crowded!
If you stick to mostly the bridges between terminals, they’ll be fairly empty as most people use the SkyLink
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I promise the terminal won’t be too busy if you plan to run inside.

You could also pop over to the Wall-Farrar nature trail. It’s 15 min by car away at most.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by wutlol
I promise the terminal won’t be too busy if you plan to run inside.

You could also pop over to the Wall-Farrar nature trail. It’s 15 min by car away at most.
that all depends on the terminal and the time. some times DFW can be packed about as full as a tokyo subway car.
I'd recommend the bridges between terminals as others have said. they are virtually deserted.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
At DFW I like to run on the tarmac, pretending I am late and trying to catch my flight, it is a lot of fun...
jhalapin, wrp96, MEABFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by stant
that all depends on the terminal and the time. some times DFW can be packed about as full as a tokyo subway car.
I'd recommend the bridges between terminals as others have said. they are virtually deserted.
That is also what I was referring to, as I believed Blumie said explicitly he was worried about the bridges being too busy.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:58 am

I believe 18L/R are 13400 in length. Pure tarmac, though a lot of old rubber at one point. Hope this helps
nk15 and pmcbeagle like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
Nothing stopping you from going for a run around the terminals
Try that at CLT!
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I've run at LAX and JFK plenty of times on the airport perimeter roads. DFW used to have the workout room inside the Admirals Club in Terminal A, but sadly it did not survive the renovations.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this thread isn't related to AA or AAdvantage (since the A AC no longer has exercise equipment), it shall be relocated to the South forum for discussion amongst DFW regulars—it might be worth checking for historical posts on the topic here too.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
You can get a day pass at the Grand Hyatt to use their rooftop gym and pool. It has been several years but I think it was around $30 (the website says $40 now). Very nice gym with a view of the east side of the airfield and nice locker room shower area to clean up afterward. During the middle of the day I was the only one in there.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/te...yatt-dfw/dfwgh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.